#61 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

I almost bought the General one but ended up chickening out.

#62 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

booooo!!!

#63 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

It's very possible that it's the exact same meter but I understand that no one wants to be the one to find out. What you could do is order it from Walmart understanding that it can be returned. Test drive it with the 4.0 and 7.0 solutions, use it in a mash, measure the pH of your water, add a few drops of acid to the water and measure again, etc. This may tell you that the meter seems solid or maybe not so solid. I also realize that it would be a pain to order it and have to return it but if the cost is an issue, this may be a way to determine if you can get by with the GENERAL instead of the OMEGA. Then whoever takes that plunge can tell everybody else.

#64 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:33 AM

since it's not actually walmart selling it (zoro is selling it) you can't return the item directly to walmart.  I would say amazon is a safer bet honestly.

#65 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:34 AM

since it's not actually walmart selling it (zoro is selling it) you can't return the item directly to walmart. I would say amazon is a safer bet honestly.

Zoro is a very well known, large store for industrial type products. If you really want the general one check Zoro directly.

#66 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:38 AM

httpss://www.zoro.com/general-digital-ph-metr-dph7011/i/G4720484/?q=dph7011

#67 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:39 AM

httpss://www.zoro.com/general-digital-ph-metr-dph7011/i/G4720484/?q=dph7011

So, what is the decision!

#68 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:49 AM

do you have any experience dealing with them?  just wondering what returns are like.

the decision - I might just give it a go.  I think I can get an additional 15% off if I sign up to get spam from them.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 13 January 2017 - 04:49 AM.

#69 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:12 AM

I'm on the edge I guess.  I still may just go with the omega to avoid potential issues.

#70 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:23 AM

That's probably how they get away with charging a little more.

#71 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:47 AM

do you have any experience dealing with them?  just wondering what returns are like.

the decision - I might just give it a go.  I think I can get an additional 15% off if I sign up to get spam from them.

I think I have ordered from them before but not 100% sure.  Another board I am on people use them all the time for big ticket items.

I added the pH meter, calibration Solution and storage solution to my cart and then applied the jan17deal coupon and the total is 94 with free shipping.

#72 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:09 AM

I have ordered from Zoro quite a few times but never a return.

#73 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:33 AM

is this the right storage solution?

httpss://www.zoro.com/oakton-storage-solution-ph-and-orp-1-pt-wd-00653-04/i/G4213237/

I think I have ordered from them before but not 100% sure.  Another board I am on people use them all the time for big ticket items.

I added the pH meter, calibration Solution and storage solution to my cart and then applied the jan17deal coupon and the total is 94 with free shipping.

i'm seeing 108.88 after that deal.  I have the meter, 4 and 7 buffer solutions and the storage solution.  maybe one of them is the wrong thing?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 13 January 2017 - 07:33 AM.

#74 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:44 AM

I had this one but I realize I only added ph 7.0 to the card and not ph 4.0.  The picture had 3 bottles and I thought it was a set.

#75 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:45 AM

this is without the $15 off $100 obviously.

3TK9eay.png

Edited by Evil_Morty, 13 January 2017 - 07:46 AM.

#76 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:08 AM

I honestly wouldn't buy extra solution. The meter comes with all 3 (yes, the bottles are small but you WILL NOT need much cal solution). Maybe get the storage solution. Also, solutions on Amazon are half that price and you could probably find the solutions someplace locally although I'm not sure where I would look for such a thing. If you have a tall, tapered glass of some kind, it only takes a few drops of the cal solutions to do a calibration... which you won't need to do often anyway.

#77 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:17 AM

I honestly wouldn't buy extra solution. The meter comes with all 3 (yes, the bottles are small but you WILL NOT need much cal solution). Maybe get the storage solution. Also, solutions on Amazon are half that price and you could probably find the solutions someplace locally although I'm not sure where I would look for such a thing. If you have a tall, tapered glass of some kind, it only takes a few drops of the cal solutions to do a calibration... which you won't need to do often anyway.

Or if you are like me and calibrate each time you will need more than what is provided :).  Granted, I calibrate in the medicine cups that come with kids Tylenol and such so I use about 5ML each time.  I just like the extra step of calibrating each time just to know I am good to go.  My MW102 would not stay calibrated so this may be carry over from that.

#78 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

Or if you are like me and calibrate each time you will need more than what is provided :).  Granted, I calibrate in the medicine cups that come with kids Tylenol and such so I use about 5ML each time.  I just like the extra step of calibrating each time just to know I am good to go.  My MW102 would not stay calibrated so this may be carry over from that.

I was the same after using my Milwaukee. I got the Omega and started calibrating the living bejesus out of it. Turned out that it didn't need it. Now I feel like each time I brew the meter is confirming to me that it's calibrated because I make so many of the same recipes over and over and I know where to expect the pH to be. If I get an unusual reading, I might calibrate it but I haven't had to do that for a long time. I honestly can't remember the last time I calibrated it. Also, 5ml sounds like a lot of solution to calibrate but even then... the bottles that come with the meter would last a decent amount of time based on how often calibration is necessary. On the Omega/General thing... I'm no help. I would hate to spend an extra $20 or $30 but I would really hate to buy something that didn't work properly and then have to return it and get the other one. Just my 2¢.

#79 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

It looks like they have essentially the same manual and specs. The only differences I can find are that the Omega claims to weigh 15 g more and be CE rated.

#80 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

It looks like they have essentially the same manual and specs. The only differences I can find are that the Omega claims to weigh 15 g more and be CE rated.

The Omega has a probe installed in it and the General does not? :D

That would make me lean away from the General but that's just me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users