#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53930 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:03 PM

34y2xqe.jpg

I went to one of my local suppliers today and this bag was sitting there on the floor. She told me that she was going to be getting this in and that the product was brand new. She was busy with other customers so she asked me to open it and taste it. It's quite delicious for something called "EXTRA PALE". She walked by, grabbed a few kernels and tasted them and stopped in her tracks, "OH WOW. THAT'S REALLY GOOD". I had come in for some Rahr Pale Ale malt but took 25 lbs of this instead. Anyone used it yet? I'm envisioning a pale ale but now "hoppy blonde" is bouncing around in my head.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

Sounds tasty.  I have not seen it or heard of it till now.  I think you should fire up a nice NE style blonde ale with it.  Hazy and hoppy.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53930 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:30 PM

Sounds tasty.  I have not seen it or heard of it till now.  I think you should fire up a nice NE style blonde ale with it.  Hazy and hoppy.

:watching:

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

I almost bought a sack of the extra pale last bulk buy. A few extra cents per pound IIRC. Let us know what you think.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

:watching:

Don't knock it till you try it.

Big WP addition

Dry hop addition #1 after 2-3 days of fermentation

Dry hop #2 at and of fermetnation

CL - 140ppm same for SO4

DO IT!!

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53930 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:38 PM

I might need to noodle with this a bit.  If I make a pale ale or hoppy blonde, the malt's character might get lost.  If I make something along the lines of an American Pub Ale, specialty grains could cover it up.  If I'm trying to get a feel for the base malt itself, it almost seems like I need to make a blonde ale and hop it low.  I know that sounds boring but how else to get a feel for the base malt?

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53930 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

I have a brewday planned for tomorrow. Water is filtered and ready. I was going to make one of these American Pub Ales (GP, Rahr 2-row, wheat, double-roasted crystal, Nugget hops) but the idea of a hoppy blonde came into my head while I was at my son's swim meet. The Patagonia extra pale, 1 or 2 pounds of Vienna, something like Nugget or Horizon to bitter and then a bunch of late Crystal hops. Omega West Coast for the yeast. I'm leaning towards the blonde.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:02 AM

interested to see how this guys.  thanks for taking the plunge ken!

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53930 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

Starting the boil now. This stuff is so unbelievably pale that I had some pH struggles today. I'm not sure if that makes sense but if darker grains are more acidic (and some like Rahr Pale Ale malt somehow lower pH)... this stuff did not want to play ball in terms of pH. I had a slightly high mash and sparge pH and I had to adjust the kettle pH which I never have to do. The runoff from the sparge looked like water. Super pale. Everything is under control but I was surprised.

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

Love to see all the new malts!  These guys just came on as sponsors of the show and are sending me some of their malt to try out....https://www.meccagrade.com/

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53930 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

Love to see all the new malts!  These guys just came on as sponsors of the show and are sending me some of their malt to try out....https://www.meccagrade.com/

Yeah, it's hard to stay on top of all the new malts, hops and yeast strains... which is GOOD news for us because there is just so much stuff to choose from. I'll report back once I'm sipping in this beer and I'll try to post a pic of it too. I can see the responses to the pic now... It has great clarity! Or did you drink it already?! :lol:

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

Spokane now has a maltster as well

https://www.lincfoods.com/malt/

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53930 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

Hard to tell from this but the color is really, really pale...

2usivlw.jpg

75% Patagonia Extra Pale, 20% Vienna, 5% Carapils, Nugget and late Crystal, OYL-004 yeast, 5%, 35 IBU, 3-4 SRM.

#14 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

judging by that hose color, yup, that's very pale

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

judging by that hose color, yup, that's very pale

Yep.  Any idea what the L is Ken?

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53930 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

Yep.  Any idea what the L is Ken?

I don't know offhand but it's got to be one of the most pale malts I've ever used. What does your standard Pils come in at? 1.5°L or less? It's low.

EDIT: I just found it... 1.5L.

Also this... This malt was developed for craft beer, searching for versatility and unique features. It produces a beer with more character and body, less foam and creamy sensation in mouth.

What's that "less foam" thing? I don't really like the sound of that. Anyway, my standard pH procedure was off today and my only conclusion was this malt. It's not a bad thing but it did surprise me.

#17 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

Why would less foam be a goal?

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

good question

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53930 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, I know. That's a weird statement to make. I don't expect headless beer but I suppose we'll find out shortly. The head on my beers have been stellar for the past few years so I expect this beer to be right in line with that. Cheers peeps.

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

I don't know offhand but it's got to be one of the most pale malts I've ever used. What does your standard Pils come in at? 1.5°L or less? It's low.

EDIT: I just found it... 1.5L.

Also this... This malt was developed for craft beer, searching for versatility and unique features. It produces a beer with more character and body, less foam and creamy sensation in mouth.

What's that "less foam" thing? I don't really like the sound of that. Anyway, my standard pH procedure was off today and my only conclusion was this malt. It's not a bad thing but it did surprise me.

So about the same as pils malt.  I assume less foam means a lower protein content.  If so, that might also affect your extraction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users