• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rebelcruiser

rebelcruiser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

I'm sure this has been beaten to death but a quick search has yielded little to no results.

I am getting back into brewing after a four year hiatus and am upgrading my system in the process. My question is this, what in everyones experience is the best way to plumb in a hop rocket?

I have seen them attached directly to the bottom of the kettle with the pump pulling the wort through before going through the chiller. I worry that this would restrict flow into the pump as the trub and break starts to accumulate.

I have also seen them attached AFTER the pump. Personally this makes more sense to me.

I have also seen them run upside down to minimize the loss of wort. 

TOO MUCH CONFLICTING INFORMATION!!!!!

I could really use some thought and experiences from those who have used them. How are you plumbed in? What do you do to minimize losses? What kind of losses can be expected? Etc?

Thanks in advance

Gary

#2 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

Do you plan on using it for every batch that you make?

If not, definitely don't hard plumb it to the kettle, or anywhere for that matter.

My personal preference would be to go from kettle to the pump, and then from there to the hop rocket if you are going to use it. 

I believe you are correct about our pumps, and everything I recall reading about them is that you should never do anything to restrict the flow into the pump, any restriction is fine on the outlet (to a degree).

The only concern I can think of is if you wanted to use the hop rocket to filter significant sized debri that could clog the pump, but you really shouldn't have any particular matter that size free floating in your kettle.

Glad you are getting back in to brewing, let us know how your first batches back turn out!

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

It should work just fine post chiller. Your wort should be about the same temp range as when you dry hop so I would expect a good amount of oils extracted at that point

#4 rebelcruiser

rebelcruiser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:21 AM

I am using the rocket to replace an old homemade Hopback than was never very successful. (ALWAYS LEAKED) I am planning on using on every batch as a pre-filter to the plate chiller. Currently i am building a stand to hold the pump, chiller and rocket.

I currently whirlpool but am going to start to recirc as well.

I will let you know how it all turns out.

Gary

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

I am using the rocket to replace an old homemade Hopback than was never very successful. (ALWAYS LEAKED) I am planning on using on every batch as a pre-filter to the plate chiller. Currently i am building a stand to hold the pump, chiller and rocket.

I currently whirlpool but am going to start to recirc as well.

I will let you know how it all turns out.

Gary

sounds like a good setup.

anything that can help keep larger bits of debris from seeing the plate chiller is good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users