#1 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:23 PM

A member of our homebrew club works for WIKA, and was able to get me a test gauge (WIKA 332.54 series) that is accurate to .25% over the span of 0-60 psi. I just looked up the retail price on this gauge, and I found one seller selling it for $272.57!

Needless to say, it is a really nice gauge, all stainless construction, and the accuracy rating is amazing. The only issue out of the box is at zero input, it read .2 psi. After using it a couple times, it went to less than .1 psi with zero input, but this thing is really sensitive and must be perfectly vertical, as just about any inclination will move the needle. I think after more time to acclimate and more use to break it in, it will be fine.

I built a test setup using it with parts I had around the brewery. I made it so that I could connect a ball lock disconnect, 3/8" OD tubing using a John guest fitting (this is what I primarily use in my serving setup, so it is really convenient for me), and a spare 1/4" NPT on a valve to connect a bare gauge to check it against the test gauge.

I plan on buying a pelican case with the foam insert to store and transport this in so that other brewers in the club can use it. They may not have gauges that can be rezeroed, but if anything it will help them know if they need to replace a gauge, or they can mark the true pressure on their gauges if their gauge readings are off.

I've only tested a couple of my regulators, but a couple I've noticed are reading about 1 psi too high. I only have a couple gauges that can be rezeroed, so I may be doing a wholesale replacement in the future with better gauges all around (in the past I bought the cheapest possible replacement gauges I could find), and if I purchase rezero capable gauges, I'll be able to test and rezero the gauges regularly (probably annually to semi-annually).

I think this will be a good tool to have for the club so that members can check their equipment, I just need to be very clear not to overpressurize the test gauge, there is a reason I went with 60 psi max reading, and I doubt it will tolerate going over that very well.

Here is a quick picture: 

32262843902_5bde43b5f8_b.jpg

#2 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

Pretty damn slick.  Always nice to know exactly what pressure of CO2 is in your lines/kegs.

#3 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:14 PM

Yea, I had started along this path a while ago when I bought some decent Winters branded gauges (one that I could rezero, and one that was glycerin filled), but never went very far because I wasn't willing to pay the money for the nice test gauge. Because I wasn't willing to get the nice test gauge, the best accuracy I had was 2%/1%/2% and 1.5% across the entire span. Still pretty good since I limited the span to 30 psi, but it doesn't compare to the granularity I have with this 4" gauge.

Once I get the case I'll basically allow it to pass around to any club members that want to check their setups, though for some, I may go over there if I don't trust them to treat the gauge nicely... haha.

Edited by gnef, 19 January 2017 - 09:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users