8 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

I have some "Mexican"-style beers coming up (a Victoria recipe, a Negra Modelo-style beer, etc) and I see that I'm getting short on flaked corn but I'm flush with masa harina. I know we talked about this before and I did use it once. I remember having a bit of a stuck mash and I also remember the beer not coming out great but it was something else (the yeast, a contamination, etc). But... do you assume that a pound of flaked corn is equal to a pound of masa harina? I actually just remembered that I bought rice hulls for this very reason so I would use them too. Any other pearls of wisdom on using it? Cheers.

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:43 AM

Throwing in my culinary 2 cents; I'd think that it's not an even swap and that the masa would be heavier, more dense and more to a pound.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:08 AM

I have some "Mexican"-style beers coming up (a Victoria recipe, a Negra Modelo-style beer, etc) and I see that I'm getting short on flaked corn but I'm flush with masa harina. I know we talked about this before and I did use it once. I remember having a bit of a stuck mash and I also remember the beer not coming out great but it was something else (the yeast, a contamination, etc). But... do you assume that a pound of flaked corn is equal to a pound of masa harina? I actually just remembered that I bought rice hulls for this very reason so I would use them too. Any other pearls of wisdom on using it? Cheers.

Throwing in my culinary 2 cents; I'd think that it's not an even swap and that the masa would be heavier, more dense and more to a pound.

A pound of lead weighs as much as a pound of feathers.  B)

When I've made recipes with masa I used it the same as flaked maize.  My gravity came out as predicted. I have some masa "para tamales" that is supposedly ground a bit coarser - haven't opened it yet.  The last time I used it my mash stuck.  I think the pump must have compacted the masa - I ended up batch sparging.  Drained into a bucket and dumped it it the kettle.

#4 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

I'm curious if this changes the pH, having been treated with alkaline salt and loaded with Calcium.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:13 AM

I'm curious if this changes the pH, having been treated with alkaline salt and loaded with Calcium.

Oh that's interesting. I just went and checked my package of masa harina and the ingredients show "corn, hydrated lime" and that's it. If it were to help adjust my pH down (for whatever reason), that wouldn't be a bad thing because I'm constantly adjusting my pH down anyway.

#6 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:36 AM

Oh that's interesting. I just went and checked my package of masa harina and the ingredients show "corn, hydrated lime" and that's it. If it were to help adjust my pH down (for whatever reason), that wouldn't be a bad thing because I'm constantly adjusting my pH down anyway.

I would expect it to push the pH up and add more Calcium, but I'm not sure.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:44 AM

I would expect it to push the pH up and add more Calcium, but I'm not sure.

Hmm, well that would be an issue. This stuff would probably represent about 10-12% of the grist and it turns out that I have about 2 pounds of standard flaked corn that I will use first. The masa harina was strictly in case I wanted to brew a beer with corn and it was my only option.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:25 AM

I'm over 20% when using masa.  I think I measured pH once with strips - and I think it was OK.  I'll try to remember to check next time.  Final product tasted as I wanted.

#9 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

I'm over 20% when using masa. I think I measured pH once with strips - and I think it was OK. I'll try to remember to check next time. Final product tasted as I wanted.

It's quite possible that all the slaked lime has reacted with the corn, or else washed away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users