25 replies to this topic

#1 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

so I'm gonna try this whole "no secondary" thing.

Got a beer going that is 1.066 OG right now.  How long would you leave it in the primary?  It's been fermenting at 65 degrees F using Wyeast 1335.   I will take a hydro reading to see if it's finished but I was thinking about putting it in the fridge to cold crash tonight when I get home - think it's been long enough or would you wait longer?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

Taste the hydro sample. If you really want to be sure raise the temp up to 70f for a couple of days before crashing.

personally I tend to ramp the temp profile during fermentation to make sure everything is "clean" when the fermentation is complete.

if you are just looking for a number 3 weeks would def be safe.  2 might be fine but I can't say without being the brewer.  even less is quite possible.  it's pretty common for me to cold crash and have the beer kegged at the 2 week mark (which means I cold crashed prior to 2 weeks).

Edited by Evil_Morty, 23 January 2017 - 11:58 AM.

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

Taste the hydro sample. If you really want to be sure raise the temp up to 70f for a couple of days before crashing.

personally I tend to ramp the temp profile during fermentation to make sure everything is "clean" when the fermentation is complete.

if you are just looking for a number 3 weeks would def be safe.  2 might be fine but I can't say without being the brewer.  even less is quite possible.  it's pretty common for me to cold crash and have the beer kegged at the 2 week mark (which means I cold crashed prior to 2 weeks).

For me it's anywhere from 4-7 days, then raise the temp for a couple days, then crash.

#4 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

Ok, perhaps I will raise the temp today and crash on Wednesday (assuming the sample is good).

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:13 PM

Pretty much what I do.  After 36 hours I start to move the temp up a degree a day until I hit 70.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

For me it's anywhere from 4-7 days, then raise the temp for a couple days, then crash.

I'm probably in the range but the way the timing works out I usually brew on a weekend and I can't get the beer cold crashed and kegged on the next weekend so I push it out to 2 weeks total even though I could technically get it all kegged in 1.5 weeks.  life just doesn't really allow for that.

#7 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

Pretty much what I do. After 36 hours I start to move the temp up a degree a day until I hit 70.

Well it be ok to just bump it up at once? I Don't really have the ability to be this precise. I'd likely be using one if those fermentation heating belts which would likely get me up to 72-75

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

Well it be ok to just bump it up at once? I Don't really have the ability to be this precise. I'd likely be using one if those fermentation heating belts which would likely get me up to 72-75

Sure, as the starts to slow down I would raise the temp.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

is your fermentor in a closed space (chest freezer)?  if yes you can just let it free rise for a while and then do the final bump up to 70F when you see it stop inching upwards.

#10 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

is your fermentor in a closed space (chest freezer)?  if yes you can just let it free rise for a while and then do the final bump up to 70F when you see it stop inching upwards.

No, it's in a corner of the basement, where it stays pretty much 65 degrees without intervention at all times.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

I still do 80% of all my fermentations in large tote bucket filled with water and a cheap aquarium heater. The heater is plugged into a temperature controller for finer control and to allow me to dial in temps lower than the aquarium heater's own thermostat will go (~66F). You could put it in tub/ bucket of water and get a cheap aquarium heater (I think mine was $10 on Amazon) that will easily hit 70F for you in a 65F room without need for a separate temp controller.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

No, it's in a corner of the basement, where it stays pretty much 65 degrees without intervention at all times.

I got one of these snazy wifi temperature things that I will trade you for some Ska Modus Hopperandi

#13 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

I still do 80% of all my fermentations in large tote bucket filled with water and a cheap aquarium heater. The heater is plugged into a temperature controller for finer control and to allow me to dial in temps lower than the aquarium heater's own thermostat will go (~66F). You could put it in tub/ bucket of water and get a cheap aquarium heater (I think mine was $10 on Amazon) that will easily hit 70F for you in a 65F room without need for a separate temp controller.

Cool, I may look into this.  I may also try hooking the fermentation heating belt up to an outlet timer, so it's on 1/2 hour at a time, off 1/2 hour at a time, etc. which may help keep it a bit lower...

#14 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

this looks like it might do the job -- adjustable from 68F to 93F

httpss://www.amazon.com/Insten-110-120V-Adjustable-Aquarium-Submersible/dp/B00KR3PROE/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1485201387&sr=1-4&keywords=adjustable+aquarium+heater

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

Yep that will do. My basement is pretty cold this time of year so having the separate temp controller allows me to dial in temps from 56-65F with ease. Even if you conduct your primaries at 65F ambient in might be useful to keep the carboy/bucket in the water tub to help prevent the heat from fermentation inside the fermenter from rising significantly above 65F. Hope that makes sense.

Edited by neddles, 23 January 2017 - 01:11 PM.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

how about an insulated Styrofoam box and a temp controller with some muffin fans?  the insulated box might let you get the ferm temp up with the 65F ambient air.  b/c keep in mind when we say 70F we are talking the beer temp, not the air temp.

the muffin fans would just be to cool it off if it got too hot in the box.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 23 January 2017 - 01:31 PM.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

Just use your Sous Vide heater

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

bam!  multipurpose tool!

#19 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

yeah, 65F is my beer temp.  ambient in the room is pretty close to that though.

This might work but I'd be nervous letting it run for more than a couple days, as far as wear and tear...

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

yeah, 65F is my beer temp.  ambient in the room is pretty close to that though.

This might work but I'd be nervous letting it run for more than a couple days, as far as wear and tear...

can you set it to have a wide threshold for when it turns on?  although I guess those constantly circulate?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 23 January 2017 - 01:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users