Photo
- - - - -

Hey Badogg... any news to share with the group?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:49 PM

Only had it through the cleaning cycle so far.  Will have a better answer next weekend.

#42 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:10 PM

How long is brewday with one of these things?

According to their brochure, approx. 5 hours.

#43 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

Ouch!

#44 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:28 PM

Only had it through the cleaning cycle so far.  Will have a better answer next weekend.

Don't forget that switch on the bottom!  Make sure it is set to 'Normal' when you want to boil!

#45 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111821 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:34 PM

Ouch!

That's not that bad if you can walk away from it.

#46 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

That's not that bad if you can walk away from it.

I can walk away from mine, I do all the time. I am usually at 3.5 hours start to end and sub 3 if I push it.

#47 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:19 PM

I can walk away from mine, I do all the time. I am usually at 3.5 hours start to end and sub 3 if I push it.

Yeah, but I really like the small footprint and how it is all one unit.  I don't have a lot of space so that along with the simplicity is what seals it for me.  I sacrifice the ability to make 10 gallons a pop, but that's ok I'll just brew more often!  

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, but I really like the small footprint and how it is all one unit. I don't have a lot of space so that along with the simplicity is what seals it for me. I sacrifice the ability to make 10 gallons a pop, but that's ok I'll just brew more often!

That's what basements are for!

#49 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:54 PM

Ouch!

30 minute boils and it gets down to 4.5

#50 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

That's what basements are for!

No kidding.  Not too many basements here in CA.  I would LOVE a basement!

#51 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

All of a sudden, I'm not interested.

#52 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:51 AM

I bet it takes me over 5 hours to do 10 gals.  takes a while to heat the strike water, stabilize in the cooler, mash in, mash, drain, bring it all to a boil and then cool and clean up.

#53 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:57 AM

I bet it takes me over 5 hours to do 10 gals.  takes a while to heat the strike water, stabilize in the cooler, mash in, mash, drain, bring it all to a boil and then cool and clean up.

My number was for 5g, the same as the GF.  I have not made a 10g batch in a while to remember how long it took.  I would guess maybe 30 minutes longer.  I do have a few things that speed it up.  My HLT heats the water and it is pumped through the RIMS to heat more and back to the HLT.  That lets me get up to temp a lot faster.

#54 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:38 AM

My number was for 5g, the same as the GF.  I have not made a 10g batch in a while to remember how long it took.  I would guess maybe 30 minutes longer.  I do have a few things that speed it up.  My HLT heats the water and it is pumped through the RIMS to heat more and back to the HLT.  That lets me get up to temp a lot faster.

I'm probably not quite aggressive enough with my SQ14 but I don't want the flames coming around the side of my kettle too much!  I envy you guys that have got the brew day time trimmed a bit but I'd have to probably make some major changes to my method/equipment to make it much better than where I'm at now.

#55 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:53 AM

I'm probably not quite aggressive enough with my SQ14 but I don't want the flames coming around the side of my kettle too much!  I envy you guys that have got the brew day time trimmed a bit but I'd have to probably make some major changes to my method/equipment to make it much better than where I'm at now.

It sounds like you would.  Mine is just a result of my brewing setup.  Nothing I tried to create just a by product of it and I am not complaining :)

#56 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:03 AM

The manufacturer delineates between smaller grain bills (9lbs or less) and larger grain bills (up to 19lbs) in terms of process time.  Also depends (obviously) on whether you go with a single infusion or step mash.

#57 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:37 AM

The manufacturer delineates between smaller grain bills (9lbs or less) and larger grain bills (up to 19lbs) in terms of process time.  Also depends (obviously) on whether you go with a single infusion or step mash.

All this and conducting mis-en-place. I'm sure the 5 hour approximation would change with the individual.

#58 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:45 AM

All this and conducting mis-en-place. I'm sure the 5 hour approximation would change with the individual.

Sure but the heating at 120v is going to be this biggest bottleneck IMO.

#59 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:59 AM

Sure but the heating at 120v is going to be this biggest bottleneck IMO.

yeup!

#60 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:23 PM

So I transferred my SNPA clone to secondary yesterday. OG Gravity reading was 1.054, yesterday was 1.010. Very nice!

Has a real nice color and flavor was really nice but definitely needed the dry hops I added yesterday. Today the aroma is wonderful!

I also brewed a big oatmeal stout (used quiet storm as a case and just rounded ingredients lol). I put it right on top of the yeast cake from the SNPA. The taste was amazing. Today the fermenting beer smells incredible! We'll see what I get from using this yeast instead of a stout yeast.

The yeast seem to be VERY happy as it took off within an hour. Full on ferment with beer going up the blowoff tube. I didn't think much of it but when I got up this morning it had filled the bottle I used for the blowoff and had made a huge mess on the floor and wall.

Still going strong right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users