22 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:04 AM

Making my Signature Ale today (a sort of American Pub Ale). I have a hoppy blonde coming out of primary and I'll be harvesting the OYL-004 for today's batch. That hoppy blonde was the first beer brewed with this Patagonia Extra Pale malt and since that beer is going to a keg today I will be able to sample next week. I will post some comments then. Otherwise it's a 35° kind-of-sunny day here in the Midwest and I've brewed in worse. Cheers.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:51 PM

Aw, feck. popped the lid on this hoppy blonde and it looked like Hoegaarden and smelled worse. This was the Omega pack that I pitched and it didn't take off for about 72 hours. I'm not blaming the yeast... that was clearly my bad. I should have made a starter. But I never had that issue with a fully-expanded pack of 1056. So the Signature Ale that I'm making today will be made with a recently-purchased backup packet of S-04. Thankfully I had it because otherwise it would have been Signature Lager with 34/70.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

Bummer. What do you think happened there?

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

Aw, feck. popped the lid on this hoppy blonde and it looked like Hoegaarden and smelled worse. This was the Omega pack that I pitched and it didn't take off for about 72 hours. I'm not blaming the yeast... that was clearly my bad. I should have made a starter. But I never had that issue with a fully-expanded pack of 1056. So the Signature Ale that I'm making today will be made with a recently-purchased backup packet of S-04. Thankfully I had it because otherwise it would have been Signature Lager with 34/70.

Vibes, Ken.  Sucks when a batch goes south.

The sig ale should be good w/ S-04, kinda like an English pub ale/bitter.

#5 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111412 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:02 PM

I've got some racking to do but no brewing this week. Maybe next weekend though.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

Bummer. What do you think happened there?

I assume it was that something was introduced to/in the primary while this OYL-004 was in the process of waking up. The Omega yeast smelled normal when I pitched it but I didn't like the idea of just pitching ale yeast that was not active even in a 5% ale. I haven't broken from my normal practices in awhile and this was definitely a new thing that I did. Live and learn.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:55 PM

I assume it was that something was introduced to/in the primary while this OYL-004 was in the process of waking up. The Omega yeast smelled normal when I pitched it but I didn't like the idea of just pitching ale yeast that was not active even in a 5% ale. I haven't broken from my normal practices in awhile and this was definitely a new thing that I did. Live and learn.

Well that sucks. Nuke that fermenter for sure!

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

Well that sucks. Nuke that fermenter for sure!

Yeah, it has Starsan in it now. Just to hammer home the idea that this is my bad, I just went to the supply house near me and picked up another packet of this OYL-004 which I will make a starter for next time. I needed some other stuff too and I was hoping to get some 1056 which she was out of. But she did have about 50 packets of this OYL-004 which made me <_< a little bit. The other part is that I opened this fermenter and saw that it was cloudy and said, "Oh boy, a low floccer!" and I started racking it into the keg. I walked away for a couple seconds, came back and took a whiff and knew something was off but I let it go anyway and I will gel it, carb it and taste it. I'm not optimistic though.

#9 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:39 PM

Yeah, it has Starsan in it now. Just to hammer home the idea that this is my bad, I just went to the supply house near me and picked up another packet of this OYL-004 which I will make a starter for next time. I needed some other stuff too and I was hoping to get some 1056 which she was out of. But she did have about 50 packets of this OYL-004 which made me <_< a little bit. The other part is that I opened this fermenter and saw that it was cloudy and said, "Oh boy, a low floccer!" and I started racking it into the keg. I walked away for a couple seconds, came back and took a whiff and knew something was off but I let it go anyway and I will gel it, carb it and taste it. I'm not optimistic though.

You might as well carb it at this point.  Got a way to sample it without putting it through your serving lines?  Maybe you'll become a sour beer fan.  B)

No starter puts you on thin ice IMO.  Obviously 1 pack in 5 gallons of moderate gravity can work but I hate to waste a brewday.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

You might as well carb it at this point.  Got a way to sample it without putting it through your serving lines?  Maybe you'll become a sour beer fan.   B)

No starter puts you on thin ice IMO.  Obviously 1 pack in 5 gallons of moderate gravity can work but I hate to waste a brewday.

I'll use a cobra tap and try it. I have used a smacked Wyeast pack in a ~5% ale many, many times without issue. I haven't done that with a White Labs vial or the new pack and clearly I make a starter anytime I make a lager for the first time. So this was a first... liquid ale yeast with no nutrient pack and no starter. But now that I have a new pack of it I will definitely make a starter for it.

#11 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:26 PM

I'll use a cobra tap and try it. I have used a smacked Wyeast pack in a ~5% ale many, many times without issue. I haven't done that with a White Labs vial or the new pack and clearly I make a starter anytime I make a lager for the first time. So this was a first... liquid ale yeast with no nutrient pack and no starter. But now that I have a new pack of it I will definitely make a starter for it.

I know you have and I have no doubt they turned out well.  I know you're picky about your final product too. It's just that I have been bit a time or two from under pitching.  I hate dumping batches.

#12 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:54 PM

No brewing, but bottling tomorrow.

Yeah. Bottling.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:50 AM

The S-04 batch was bubbling away nicely this morning with a delightful aroma coming from the airlock so I'll assume crisis averted for yesterday's batch. I'll also remake the blonde ale with the S-04 which should come out nicely as well. As for the funky blonde, I chilled it overnight and gelled it this morning and started to force-carb it. I'll take a sample of it on Wednesday night and this beer will be on a very short leash. If I taste anything that is the least bit funky, it's gone. I know it's not the type of thing that will improve over time and right now that beer is taking up valuable real estate in one of my kegs. Cheers Beerheads.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:24 PM

Bump. Please report tomorrow.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:56 PM

I got that wrong... it's actually done now. I took it off the gas this morning at 10:30 and I'll tap a glass of it while I'm making dinner. For anyone who likes beer with a sort of Belgian character, this beer might be your thing. It may be sort of Leffe Blonde-ish. When I popped the top and took a whiff, it had a sort of clovey, spicy, complex, barnyard-like kind of thing going on. I'll post in about an hour.

#16 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111412 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

Transferred my grapefruit sculpin clone to secondary today. Also I'm about 90% done with the chest freezer. Built a nice collar but.. For some reason I thought I had 4 taps and a 4 way manifold, but when I got the box out of the basement it turned out to be 3.... But I already drilled 4 holes. :D Amazon Prime to the rescue, new manifold and 4th tap will be here Thursday :)

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

Transferred my grapefruit sculpin clone to secondary today. Also I'm about 90% done with the chest freezer. Built a nice collar but.. For some reason I thought I had 4 taps and a 4 way manifold, but when I got the box out of the basement it turned out to be 3.... But I already drilled 4 holes. :D Amazon Prime to the rescue, new manifold and 4th tap will be here Thursday :)

Hooray! Pics when it's done so we can all drool envy clink a glass with you! :D

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

Bump. Please report tomorrow.

Ho. Lee. Snot. It's worse than I thought. I'm embarrassed to say I made this beer. It's yeasty, it's got some banana, some clove... it's like a Belgian Hefeweizen. Only worse if that's possible. I'm about to go downstairs, grab the keg and dump it. Terrible.

badblonde.jpg

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:26 PM

What's really weird is that the gel I used to clear it up did NOTHING! Nothing. I poured this beast out and it was as cloudy as it gets through the whole keg. Nasty. Vile. This is not a beer. This is a presence! I need a priest to get rid of this thing!! :lol: Nice head stability though. :D

#20 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

Ho. Lee. Snot. It's worse than I thought. I'm embarrassed to say I made this beer. It's yeasty, it's got some banana, some clove... it's like a Belgian Hefeweizen. Only worse if that's possible. I'm about to go downstairs, grab the keg and dump it. Terrible.

badblonde.jpg

There are probably people that would like it.

The last time I had hefes was judging.  I don't care for them but was pretty much spot on with the judge I was paired with.  That yeast tore me up though - spent half the awards ceremony hitting the men's room.  That was the last time I had any.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users