26 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53987 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:27 AM

Making a "gold lager" today... Barke Pils, some light Munich, carafoam and carahell, Magnum to bitter and late Hallertau Mitt. Also taking the Hacienda Lager from primary and kegging it and then harvesting the 2124 to use in the gold lager. Tomorrow I'm remaking the Hoppy Blonde that I futzed up last week (the so-called Belgian Hefeweizen) and using the S-04 that I used last weekend. Cheers Beerheads.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16632 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:51 AM

If you can believe it I am about to make my third beer in the last 5 days. I am in a rush to get these available for a big annual get together at the end of the month and the brewing was supposed to have been done before this week but much unforeseen stuff came up last week. Anyhow, I brewed a robust porter, a NE PA, and today will be a simple blonde ale.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53987 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

If you can believe it I am about to make my third beer in the last 5 days. I am in a rush to get these available for a big annual get together at the end of the month and the brewing was supposed to have been done before this week but much unforeseen stuff came up last week. Anyhow, I brewed a robust porter, a NE PA, and today will be a simple blonde ale.

Nice. That's a lot of brewing in a short time but there's nothing wrong with it. Is this a family gathering or something?

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

I'm saying screw it to all of my real world stuff tomorrow and brewing 10 gal. of Rye IPA.  Can't recall the last time I did a batch that big.  Half of it will get a new strain of Brett that Wyeast wanted me to check out.

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

Brewing Monday, I think; a clone batch of Great Lakes' Burning River Ale.  Will use a good bit of the homegrown Cascades I picked late last summer.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16632 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:10 AM

Nice. That's a lot of brewing in a short time but there's nothing wrong with it. Is this a family gathering or something?

Extended weekend house rental with several families for winter festival and cross county ski race.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53987 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

Extended weekend house rental with several families for winter festival and cross county ski race.

Sweet. Blow 'em away with your mad brewing skillz. :D

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16632 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

Sweet. Blow 'em away with your mad brewing skillz. :D

Thanks, I'm more worried about my skiing TBH. 

It's going to be a quick turnaround for all 3 beers so if any of them is not ready for primetime it stays home (and will be mine for later!).

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53987 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

Thanks, I'm more worried about my skiing TBH. 

It's going to be a quick turnaround for all 3 beers so if any of them is not ready for primetime it stays home (and will be mine for later!).

You'll be fine. I went ice skating a few weeks ago and never ended up on my face or my ass. It wasn't pretty but I survived. Hey, tell me about the "simple blonde". Mine is going to be a combination of Rahr Pale Ale malt, Patagonia malt and carafoam and then Nugget to bitter and three ounces of Crystal in the last 10 minutes. 5%, SRM 5 and IBUs around 35. What are you gonna do for yours?

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53987 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:29 PM

Here's what I'm going to do tomorrow. I separated out the "American 2-row" because it's 6 pounds of Rahr Pale Ale and 3 pounds of standard Rahr. Should be good. The RPA is quite a bit darker than normal 2-row (in the 4-5°L range) so I think this will be darker than SRM 3.

blondesnip.png

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16632 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

You'll be fine. I went ice skating a few weeks ago and never ended up on my face or my ass. It wasn't pretty but I survived. Hey, tell me about the "simple blonde". Mine is going to be a combination of Rahr Pale Ale malt, Patagonia malt and carafoam and then Nugget to bitter and three ounces of Crystal in the last 10 minutes. 5%, SRM 5 and IBUs around 35. What are you gonna do for yours?

I went with this

~1.050

25 IBU

SRM 4

85% GW 2-Row

10% Best Vienna

5% Carahell

Mash 152F

Apollo @30

15g (2:1) Willamette:Cascade @15min

15g (2:1) Willamette:Cascade @5min

WY1450

ETA: Tell me about crystal hops. I have 2 oz but have never used them. 

Edited by neddles, 11 February 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53987 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

I went with this

~1.050
25 IBU
SRM 4

85% GW 2-Row
10% Best Vienna
5% Carahell
Mash 152F

Apollo @30
15g (2:1) Willamette:Cascade @15min
15g (2:1) Willamette:Cascade @5min

WY1450

ETA: Tell me about crystal hops. I have 2 oz but have never used them.

Mmm, that looks nice. The Cascades will just be detectable under the Apollo and 2:1 Willamette. Should be really nice. Crystal hops are what I would call an American Noble hop. Clean, spicy, no real citrus or fruity thing going on. You could throw them into the same category with a lot of other nice clean American hops: Mt. Hood, Santiam, Ultra, Liberty, Sterling, US Goldings, Glacier. They seem to have a spicy-herbal thing to them that has quite a nice little punch. I always seem to have them around and I'll make blondes and pale ales with them on a regular basis.

crystalsnip.png

#13 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

Haven't posted much here lately but I brewed my third lager of the year on Saturday a Munich Helles SG 1.050 All German Perle hops 20 IBU's. I brewed a German Pilsner and Classic Rauchbeer with 60% Rauch malt before this weekend's beer. All beers brewed with WLP838 Southern German Lager. Cheers all  Mike

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53987 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

Haven't posted much here lately but I brewed my third lager of the year on Saturday a Munich Helles SG 1.050 All German Perle hops 20 IBU's. I brewed a German Pilsner and Classic Rauchbeer with 60% Rauch malt before this weekend's beer. All beers brewed with WLP838 Southern German Lager. Cheers all  Mike

Yum... let us know how the helles comes out. A tough style to brew, for sure but delicious when you do it right. Cheers Mike.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

Brewed up Ken's Mexican Lager today. All went well and done in 3.5 hours.

16586968_10156016597504657_4114940571845

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53987 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

Okay so how did the starch do in the mash and the runoff? Did you get any real corn aroma from it? I just kegged mine yesterday and it smelled lovely so I'm looking forward to it.

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:05 AM

Mmm, that looks nice. The Cascades will just be detectable under the Apollo and 2:1 Willamette. Should be really nice. Crystal hops are what I would call an American Noble hop. Clean, spicy, no real citrus or fruity thing going on. You could throw them into the same category with a lot of other nice clean American hops: Mt. Hood, Santiam, Ultra, Liberty, Sterling, US Goldings, Glacier. They seem to have a spicy-herbal thing to them that has quite a nice little punch. I always seem to have them around and I'll make blondes and pale ales with them on a regular basis.

I was given a 1/2 pound of crystal. What do you suggest using it right out of the gate?

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53987 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:13 AM

I was given a 1/2 pound of crystal. What do you suggest using it right out of the gate?

I typically use them in a way where they can stand on their own and I don't really like to cover them up. I will occasionally mix them with another one of the hops I mentioned in a pale ale or a blonde and that's the way I typically use them... a finishing hop in a bright, hoppy blonde ale or pale ale. They are clean. Think of them as close to an American Noble as you can get (Liberty may be the closest as it has multiple Hallertau parents, IIRC). If you envision a red ale or amber ale, they would work there. If you need clean hops for one of your Belgians like a Saison (not sure how a saison is hopped), it would work there. Very versatile. Last year I made a very pale-colored pale ale and mixed up the late hops between Crystal and US Goldings and it was dynamite. What AA% are yours? I've seen them up in the 5s but my latest bunch is only 3.3%. Cheers.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:15 AM

Okay so how did the starch do in the mash and the runoff? Did you get any real corn aroma from it? I just kegged mine yesterday and it smelled lovely so I'm looking forward to it.

No issues to speak of with run off.  I did mill my grain a touch finer this time too but overall it was no different.  There was not efficiency hit, I actually got a better efficiency than normal.  As for corn smell, I did not get any out of it.  Now I have not used flaked corn before so I cannot comment on if it was different.

#20 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:22 AM

I typically use them in a way where they can stand on their own and I don't really like to cover them up. I will occasionally mix them with another one of the hops I mentioned in a pale ale or a blonde and that's the way I typically use them... a finishing hop in a bright, hoppy blonde ale or pale ale. They are clean. Think of them as close to an American Noble as you can get (Liberty may be the closest as it has multiple Hallertau parents, IIRC). If you envision a red ale or amber ale, they would work there. If you need clean hops for one of your Belgians like a Saison (not sure how a saison is hopped), it would work there. Very versatile. Last year I made a very pale-colored pale ale and mixed up the late hops between Crystal and US Goldings and it was dynamite. What AA% are yours? I've seen them up in the 5s but my latest bunch is only 3.3%. Cheers.

Perfect. Sounds like me since I'm sorta pulling away from the citrus stuff. My Crystal is 4%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users