#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:44 PM

I ran out of yeast a while back and bought some US-05 semi new brew on premise/supply store.

I think Friday was batch 10 from harvested yeast.  Actually I like it better than the first couple generations.

#2 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

I've forgotten all that I once "knew." At one time, wasn't 5 the magic number for harvested yeast?

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

I ran out of yeast a while back and bought some US-05 semi new brew on premise/supply store.

I think Friday was batch 10 from harvested yeast.  Actually I like it better than the first couple generations.

I don't think I've gone past, but danm man, that's a house yeast now 

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

I dont think I have ever gone past 2 generations.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:49 AM

i've done 10 from split starters but never harvested from a batch of full on beer.  the cheap bastard in me approves!  :cheers:

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:56 AM

The number of generations depends on yeast performance, not a "number".  I've been using 05 again lately, but it just confirmed that I don't really care for it.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:04 PM

The number of generations depends on yeast performance, not a "number".  I've been using 05 again lately, but it just confirmed that I don't really care for it.

but 1056 is okay?  it was 1056 that I used 10 times.  I really enjoyed it all the way until the end.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

but 1056 is okay? 

But 1056 is not WLP001 and that is not S-05.

:D

Edited by drez77, 14 February 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#9 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111409 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:52 PM

I've never actually harvested yeast. I always worry I'll either contaminate it, or the trub and hop crud mixed in with it will be bad in the new batch.

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:55 PM

but 1056 is okay?  it was 1056 that I used 10 times.  I really enjoyed it all the way until the end.

It's not strain dependent.  It's yeast health dependent.   If it made good beer, 10 reuses was fine.

I've never actually harvested yeast. I always worry I'll either contaminate it, or the trub and hop crud mixed in with it will be bad in the new batch.

Maybe you'd contaminate it, but you kinda have to work at it to do it.  And no problem at all with the trub.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:56 PM

Maybe you'd contaminate it, but you kinda have to work at it to do it.  And no problem at all with the trub.

Agree,  an experiment on the topic.

https://brulosophy.c...riment-results/

#12 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

That's one thing a conical is good for.  Usually I make starters and reserve 500ml for the next one.  I've been lazy lately

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:40 PM

It's not strain dependent.  It's yeast health dependent.   If it made good beer, 10 reuses was fine.

no, no - I just mean you like 1056 okay but not US-05.

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:46 PM

no, no - I just mean you like 1056 okay but not US-05.

Ah...got it.  Yep, I like 1056, not so much for 05.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

Ah...got it.  Yep, I like 1056, not so much for 05.

I've used US-05 fairly recently but not so much 1056.  I keep saying I'll go back and try it again but I always get distracted by some other yeast.  there are almost too many choices!  ;)

#16 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111409 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:22 PM

That's one thing a conical is good for. Usually I make starters and reserve 500ml for the next one. I've been lazy lately

Yeah, I've been eyeing that Catalyst thing actually.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

you can add me to the list of people saying this isn't an issue.  my whole way of thinking about brewing has changed.  I no longer just assume things like "trub/hops from the last batch are bad".  I've done it a few times now and the results speak for themselves.  I think it's important to think carefully why you think something is an issue.  do you know it's an issue or were you just told it was?

I'm not saying you have to personally test out every thing like this but perhaps listen to people who have tried it both ways and take that into account.  another thing to take into account is do you even know why a certain thing is supposed to be bad?  if no one can explain it to you and back it up with any kind of evidence I think it's time to start questioning that belief.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 14 February 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#18 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

you can add me to the list of people saying this isn't an issue.  my whole way of thinking about brewing has changed.  I no longer just assume things like "trub/hops from the last batch are bad".  I've done it a few times now and the results speak for themselves.  I think it's important to think carefully why you think something is an issue.  do you know it's an issue or were you just told it was?

I'm not saying you have to personally test out every thing like this but perhaps listen to people who have tried it both ways and take that into account.  another thing to take into account is do you even know why a certain thing is supposed to be bad?  if no one can explain it to you and back it up with any kind of evidence I think it's time to start questioning that belief.

Yeah, a lot of what was gospel when I started is in the trash can.  Plus ingredients have changed.

FWIW for stain and someone correct me if I'm wrong - add your extract (especially liquid) late in the boil.  The manufacturer already did that for you - and kill the heat when you add it so it doesn't scorch.

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, a lot of what was gospel when I started is in the trash can.  Plus ingredients have changed.

FWIW for stain and someone correct me if I'm wrong - add your extract (especially liquid) late in the boil.  The manufacturer already did that for you - and kill the heat when you add it so it doesn't scorch.

new gospel

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:51 AM

I think that's a good way to go but I might add a portion at the start of the boil.  I assume you might want something wort like when you are boiling hops.  maybe it doesn't matter?  sounds like a good experiment!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users