20 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:19 PM

I have the urge to brew this week and since I have plenty of beer on top and waiting I am thinking another lager specifically a Dunkel.  For those that have used S-189 how do you think it will work in a Dunkel?  My only other choice would be 34/70.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

I don't see an issue with using S-189. It probably wouldn't be my first choice but I think the resulting beer would be great. Go!

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

It would be my first choice.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

It would be my first choice.

I might say 2308 or 2352 (which is Omega Bayern lager yeast) but it's just a personal preference. When I had S-189 up and running I don't think I made anything dark with it but I would have to check my notes. I would use 2124 (which is 34/70) if I really wanted to make a dunkel and 2124 was active at the moment.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:26 PM

I might say 2308 or 2352 (which is Omega Bayern lager yeast) but it's just a personal preference. When I had S-189 up and running I don't think I made anything dark with it but I would have to check my notes. I would use 2124 (which is 34/70) if I really wanted to make a dunkel and 2124 was active at the moment.

Wlp833 would be my choice but I am just using what I have on hand. I like the idea it is a malt forward yeast.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:39 PM

Wlp833 would be my choice but I am just using what I have on hand. I like the idea it is a malt forward yeast.

Right and Chils was the one who suggested that I use it and he mentioned that he really liked the way it worked in maltier styles. I think he said he made a pilsner with it that had some late hop additions and that the S-189 was not as good in that role... I think he said that but I'm not sure. All of this made me go check my notes... I used S-189 in a Pilsner, an American Lager, a Helles and an "Amber Lager" which would have been the darkest beer I made with it (probably 8-9 SRM) and it was hopped up to about 35 IBUs with Magnum, Spalt and Hallertau. So nothing darker than that. Bottom line is that S-189 is a great yeast and I was very happy with everything I made with it.

#7 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:24 PM

S-189 was great in my Czech Tmave--dark lager like a German Schwarzbier.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

S-189 is ideal for dark, malty lagers.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:29 AM

S-189 is ideal for dark, malty lagers.

It is on then.  Something is wrong with me... I am brewing way more lagers these days... :1zhelp:

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

It is on then.  Something is wrong RIGHT with me... I am brewing way more lagers these days...  :goodidea:

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

It is on then.  Something is wrong with me... I am brewing way more lagers these days... :1zhelp:

nice!  I think S-189 will be the next thing I try after I make a couple of 2124 beers next.  It's pretty cheap if I remember correctly although I'd probably want to make a starter with it.  what is your plan?

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:39 AM

nice!  I think S-189 will be the next thing I try after I make a couple of 2124 beers next.  It's pretty cheap if I remember correctly although I'd probably want to make a starter with it.  what is your plan?

No starter but I will run off some into a flask from the CFC chiller and throw the 2 packs in there while the rest of the wort gets to pitching temp.  Dralusnenadakdfd or whatever it is called :)

It is on then.  Something is wrong RIGHT with me... I am brewing way more lagers these days...  :goodidea:

You may be right!

I love a good hoppy beer but recently I just see myself reaching for a lager more often than not. 

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:39 AM

No starter but I will run off some into a flask from the CFC chiller and throw the 2 packs in there while the rest of the wort gets to pitching temp.  Dralusnenadakdfd or whatever it is called :)

sounds like a good idea.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

I'm so in to being wrong these days. Wrong beers is all I'm craving.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

I'm so in to being wrong these days. Wrong beers is all I'm craving.

I've been biding my time for years. The heavily-hopped beers would come and go. The bourbon-barrel-everything would come and go. The brett, sour and funk would come and go. Eventually everyone would crave helles, dunkel, Vienna, pilsner, bock, festbier, etc. and then I will claim VICTORY! :D

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

I've been biding my time for years. The heavily-hopped beers would come and go. The bourbon-barrel-everything would come and go. The brett, sour and funk would come and go. Eventually everyone would crave helles, dunkel, Vienna, pilsner, bock, festbier, etc. and then I will claim VICTORY! :D

I think part of my issue is I have so many IPA and hoppy beers avalaible to me.  I will say one of the lagers I brewed was an IPL, so I man not be 100% conventional lagers.  I think part of it is the clean, neutral yeast too. 

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

I think part of my issue is I have so many IPA and hoppy beers avalaible to me.  I will say one of the lagers I brewed was an IPL, so I man not be 100% conventional lagers.  I think part of it is the clean, neutral yeast too.

I think it could also just be the character that you get from some lager yeasts just as you could say the same about some ale yeasts. 2308, 2124, 2352, 2000, 2278, etc. all have very distinct and delicious yeast character and they are outside of the normal ale yeast character that you might get. S-189 makes fine beer and also has it's crisp, clean lager character. If you brewed with mostly ale yeasts, lager yeast characters would be a breath of fresh air to most brewers and beer drinkers. The same could be said for ale yeasts in the other direction.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

I def am with you on the yeast flavors.  lager beer burps are the best!

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

30 Minute boil Dunkel!

16716047_10156036317579657_7920234988228

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:34 PM

I like it!  what brand of dark munich are you using?  I think I've only used weyermann for the dark variety.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users