27 replies to this topic

#1 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

My setup: brew pot with the long mesh filter inside the pot, whirlfloc last 15 min of boil

I'm trying to get back into brewing and doing it the right way. I've done two batches this year and both batches clogged my filter when draining into primary. Long story short, lots of trub in primary.

Today I was able to get my wort from boiling to 67ish in about 15 minutes with an immersion chiller.

If I can cool that quick, would there be any harm in letting it sit for another 30 minutes to settle out before transferring to primary?

Sorry for the novice questions, but this is one of my bigger hurdles with my simple brewing.

#2 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

Hines, what are you using for a primary fermenter?

#3 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:54 PM

5 gallon batches in a 7.9 gallon Speidel fermenter

httpss://www.morebeer.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-30l-79-gal.html

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:03 PM

I whirlpool all batches for about 15-30 after boil. Some are chilled to 160ish others are not. But really trub is not an issue at all in the fermenter.

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

5 gallon batches in a 7.9 gallon Speidel fermenter

httpss://www.morebeer.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-30l-79-gal.html

ok, what boil pot are you using?

I have a method that works well for 6.5 gal Ale Pails (my primary fermenter) that could work for you, depending on your boil pot.

#6 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:14 PM

Approx 8 gallon stainless brew kettle, similar to this
www.homebrewstuff.com/8-gal-weldless-kettle-w-valve-thermometer.html

I hear ya Drze. Trying to minimize floaties in bottles! I bottled directly from primary last time. Went pretty well actually.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:17 PM

I use whirfloc for the last 7 minutes of the boil (someone mentioned 7 minutes being the kill-zone for Whirfloc), then I use an immersion chiller and then I place the kettle in a sink with water and ice to chill it further (more chill for lagers, less for ales) and in that 20-30 minutes, things settle nicely. I usually rack 4+ gallons of ultra-clear wort to primary and then pick up some schputz... some of which gets trapped in a 2-layer strainer and some goes into the fermenter. But Drez is right... trub in the fermenter is not an issue. I think Denny says that trub in the fermenter is actually a plus.

If you want clearer beer in the end, leave the beer in primary longer, try to get the beer cold at some point before bottling and use a gel solution on the beer. It works wonders.

#8 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

I use a 2-layer paint strainer bag setup in my ale pails, and clip them to the rim of the pail, so that the bag is suspended inside the pail and covers the entire area.

I then dump the contents of the kettle into the fermenter (a technique i've perfected over many years and some near-disastrous spills).

Once in the fermenter, I then release the bags and lift them up out of the fermenter and let them drain, until the target volume is reached.

I find this works well with both whole and pellet hops, although lots of pellet hops make for slower draining.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

Look into the rotating raking arm for that fermenter. It will slow you to siphon above the trub.

#10 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

I need to look into whirlpooling. The clogged mesh is probably the most annoying thing with the trub.

#11 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

I need to look into whirlpooling. The clogged mesh is probably the most annoying thing with the trub.

Whirlpooling is where I ended up. Brew kettle filters aren't worth the aggravation.  I can't get a good cone using an IC (cold break doesn't settle well at my place) but settling will still get a lot of stuff out of suspension.  If you have a drain for the kettle having a dam by it helps.  Trub just isn't that big of a deal in the fermenter.  I would bet 15 minutes is more than enough to settle in your case.  I do 15 with 11+ gallons in the kettle.

My solution was to hot whirlpool, use a plate chiller and let cold break go in the fermenter.  I don't bottle - no help there.

#12 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:50 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it

#13 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:03 PM

For those of you whirlpooling, are you using a drill paddle you made or bought?

#14 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:36 PM

Big SS spoon.  Which is a brewday multitasker.  Doesn't take much to get it spinning enough IMO.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:44 PM

Big SS spoon.  Which is a brewday multitasker.  Doesn't take much to get it spinning enough IMO.

Yep. Me too.

#16 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

Sweet, got that!

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:00 PM

For those of you whirlpooling, are you using a drill paddle you made or bought?

I just use a pump.

#18 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

I just use a pump.

Dammit Drez, I'm trying not to buy any more brewing tools!

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:53 PM

Spoon here.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:51 AM

My setup: brew pot with the long mesh filter inside the pot, whirlfloc last 15 min of boil

I'm trying to get back into brewing and doing it the right way. I've done two batches this year and both batches clogged my filter when draining into primary. Long story short, lots of trub in primary.

Today I was able to get my wort from boiling to 67ish in about 15 minutes with an immersion chiller.

If I can cool that quick, would there be any harm in letting it sit for another 30 minutes to settle out before transferring to primary?

Sorry for the novice questions, but this is one of my bigger hurdles with my simple brewing.

simple?  don't filter it out.  if hops wouldn't clog up the drain on my kettle I'd let those go through as well but alas I have to hold them back with a big SS mesh tube.  but I let all of the trub go into the fermentor.  no problems that I can pick up.  when I used to make 5 gals I'd dump the whole thing in!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users