27 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:18 AM

simple?  don't filter it out.  if hops wouldn't clog up the drain on my kettle I'd let those go through as well but alas I have to hold them back with a big SS mesh tube.  but I let all of the trub go into the fermentor.  no problems that I can pick up.  when I used to make 5 gals I'd dump the whole thing in!

Agree.  The main reason I am whirlpooling is I have hops added during that time and I have my system set up where it is just a matter of opening one ball valve.  I still bring some trub over to my fermenter.

#22 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:31 AM

Agree.  The main reason I am whirlpooling is I have hops added during that time ...

Is that a flameout addition?  or whirlpool addition?

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:39 AM

Whirlpool addition usually refers to hops added around 175° so just a minute or two after flameout. There was some talk about hops and temp and how the various additions at different temps come out in the final beer. You have FWH where hops are added to wort that is maybe 150°, hops added to the boil, dry hops, etc. and somewhere in there people realized that you could get very nice late hop character by adding hops in the whirlpool (175 or so), and allowing the wort to remain at that temp for some amount of time and then continue to chill.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:51 AM

Is that a flameout addition?  or whirlpool addition?

yes,  I do both.  Flame out for a few minutes then drop the temp and add more and let that WP for a bit.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:28 AM

Whirlpool addition usually refers to hops added around 175° so just a minute or two after flameout. There was some talk about hops and temp and how the various additions at different temps come out in the final beer. You have FWH where hops are added to wort that is maybe 150°, hops added to the boil, dry hops, etc. and somewhere in there people realized that you could get very nice late hop character by adding hops in the whirlpool (175 or so), and allowing the wort to remain at that temp for some amount of time and then continue to chill.

when I do hop stands I usually shoot for around 160F.  I'm sure diff temps might bring slightly aspects of the hops character out but probably not a huge deal.

#26 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:23 PM

when I do hop stands I usually shoot for around 160F.  I'm sure diff temps might bring slightly aspects of the hops character out but probably not a huge deal.

httpss://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/hop-whirlpool-does-steeping-lower-temperature-improve-final-hop-character

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:32 PM

I vaguely remember reading this.  good data points there.  it makes me think I should go even a little lower.  I think there have been occasions where I did it at 140F just by accident :P

#28 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

here's something that's been working for me. after whirlpool additions, chill down the wort, take your big SS spoon, give it a good stir, and let it sit for 45 minutes to an hour, then rack to primary. Another thing I've been doing is slightly over sizing my batches; example: if I want 6 gallons in the primary, my post boil volume will be 6.5-7 gallons. After whirlpool and all, I can rack super clear wort into the carboy- its a little more in grain and hops, but a small price to pay. But, a little amount of trub isn't going to hurt anything. this works great with lagers, IMO.

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 21 February 2017 - 09:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users