#1 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:54 AM

I'm planning a bus trip for my homebrew club from Chicago to Indianapolis. Any suggestions of your favorite breweries?

Much thanks!

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

I only know of Upland which is in Bloomington. You might see their beer in Indy and if so... they make a nice IPA and also a pale ale called HELIOS which is pretty nice. Their brewpub in Bloomington is nice and probably better-suited for decent weather because they have a nice outdoor biergarten.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:39 AM

My brother lives there and he swears by Union Brewing in Carmel. Smaller place with cask offerings but no food. For good food and a good tap list he says The Pint Room, also in Carmel.

Sun King is a bigger one and I have had several of their beers that were nice.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Also, Brugge Brasserie in Broad Ripple for Belgian styles and it sounds like Belgian themed food as well.

#5 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

Sun King might be our first stop. And Upland was a definite possibility.

The menu at Brugge Brasserie looks awesome. I'll check out Union, I'm a fan of cask ale.

Anyone been to Black Acre? I've been recommended to go there. I also really enjoyed Bier Brewery but it's been quite a few years.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

Hopefully those recommendations don't disappoint. Enjoy your trip.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

Hopefully those recommendations don't disappoint. Enjoy your trip.

This. Keep us posted and let us know how it was. I happen to be wearing my Upland Brewing t-shirt today! :D

#8 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3273 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Upland has a taproom in Carmel on the North side of Indy.
Also, Triton, Flat 12, Bier Brewery, Deviate, Black Acre Broadripple Brewpub, etc.

#9 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Itinerary so far:
Depart Chicago 9 AM beers and breakfast on the bus
1-2 Daredevil Brewing
2-3 Sun King
3-4 Flat 12
4-5 Black Acre
5-6 Upland
Sleep on the bus
Back to Chicago by 9 PM

I still have a few spots remaining for any Chicago area Blewbies, $30 per person for transportation.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

That should be fun.

#11 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

Itinerary so far:
Depart Chicago 9 AM beers and breakfast on the bus
1-2 Daredevil Brewing
2-3 Sun King
3-4 Flat 12
4-5 Black Acre
5-6 Upland
Sleep on the bus
Back to Chicago by 9 PM

I still have a few spots remaining for any Chicago area Blewbies, $30 per person for transportation.

Recap:

We had a few last minute cancellations so we ended up with 12 people on a 55 passenger bus. Plenty of room. There was lots of beer on the ride to Indy but almost no food. The bus company only allowed cans on the bus but there is a surprising amount of great can beer available. A couple of highlights were crowler of coffee stout from a newly opened Chicago brewery, On Tour (we also had their doppelbock and dry hop lager) and some freshly canned Tuna (pale ale) and Navaja (double ipa) from Half Acre. Finally tried Monks Blood from 21A, and didn't love the Pineapple double IPA from Tallgrass. There was way too much beer (much more than I listed) on the bus. 

Daredevil was first and therefore my recollection was best. They had a really nice American stout flight, the base beer, a nitro version, a coffee version and a barrel aged. Their IPA was also solid. 

There must have been an Indy car event the weekend we were there because there were Indy cars driving on the streets near Daredevil. I wasn't drunk yet, I swear they were really there.

I wasn't a fan of Sun King's fast food style counter service or plastic cups but their Cherry Busey and Wee Heavy were pretty tasty.

Flat 12 had a nice patio with a gas fire pit. I'm going to say their porter was good but its really getting hazy now. 

Black Acre was pretty busy. I remember it being a cool looking spot. I might have had their Oat Pale Ale. 

At Upland Carmel, I'm pretty sure I had a beer and and am reasonably certain I had the Mac and Cheese. Probably not the best idea to have your first meal of the day at the last brewery. 

Slept on the bus all the way home. The 3 hour ride felt like moments. 

Wife and I grabbed a sack of sliders, onion rings and chocolate shakes and went home. 

Great times were had by all!

#12 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3273 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

:frank:

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

Damn that's a blurry whirlwind of a tour!

That lesson of "no food in the stomach" seems to be one I have to relearn bout once or twice per year.

A few weeks ago at a brewery in the UP I ordered their 4.5% Pale Ale knowing I hadn't eaten in a good while and wanted to take it easy because I had to race in the morning. Misread the chalkboard and actually got a 7.5% "Pale Ale". Tasted good and went down easy and quick. I didn't realize my mistake until I was spinning hard. Oof.

Edited by neddles, 23 March 2017 - 08:49 AM.

#14 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

Unbelievably, this trip was more chill than last years. We rented a school bus and hit 9 breweries in the city of Chicago. The last few stops on that trip were not pretty. Everyone was behaved but way too much drinking. Still very fun :)

Half Acre Taproom
Revolution Brewery Taproom
Dry Hop
Atlas
Rock Bottom Chicago
Haymarket
Mad Mouse
Motor Row
Lagunitas

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

:shock:

Several on that list I still need to get to.

#16 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

Damn that's a blurry whirlwind of a tour!

That lesson of "no food in the stomach" seems to be one I have to relearn bout once or twice per year.

A few weeks ago at a brewery in the UP I ordered their 4.5% Pale Ale knowing I hadn't eaten in a good while and wanted to take it easy because I had to race in the morning. Misread the chalkboard and actually got a 7.5% "Pale Ale". Tasted good and went down easy and quick. I didn't realize my mistake until I was spinning hard. Oof.

Part of my problem lately is that I've been dieting/eating more healthy/slow carbs and I try to drink only one day a week. When drinking beer, I don't really get hungry. I need to plan better to eat first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users