#41 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

If you're doing 2 batch sparges you should asses your technique and gear for improvements.

most of the time I actually do single sparge, but on a bigger beer, I get stingier.

#42 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

most of the time I actually do single sparge, but on a bigger beer, I get stingier.

And on a bigger beer, there is less chance of the gravity getting too low

#43 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

I do a tiny sparge (~2 gal for a 10 gal recipe) and I still regularly get around 80% into the fermentor.  I can't imagine going much higher efficiency wise.  I tell you this as a fellow cheap bastard.

#44 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:06 AM

My understanding is that the final runnings gravity is linked to pH. Reason being that malt is a great buffer, but as more and more of the sugar is rinsed away, the buffering capability of the mash gets weaker and weaker which causes pH to drift up. Which is why it's a good idea to treat your sparge water to 5.8 or so. You could probably go even lower than that.

#45 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

My understanding is that the final runnings gravity is linked to pH. Reason being that malt is a great buffer, but as more and more of the sugar is rinsed away, the buffering capability of the mash gets weaker and weaker which causes pH to drift up. Which is why it's a good idea to treat your sparge water to 5.8 or so. You could probably go even lower than that.

Would you say that this applies to fly and batch sparging or just fly?

#46 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

Would you say that this applies to fly and batch sparging or just fly?

Definitely fly.  Batch depends on your water.  If it's very alkaline, you need probably need to treat batch sparge water.  If it's like mine, you don't need to treat it.  Couple other things...I to have always thought that gravity was an indicator of pH, but Martin has said (I think) that's not the case.  Also, I don't think it's the sugars that keep the pH down.

#47 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

It's not just the sugars. Forgive my vagueness... Might be proteins, nitrogen, idk. I probably should know :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users