53 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:39 PM

I have not bought from them much recently after they screwed up some wet hops but they seemed to be decent for the most part.  From their Facebook:

Rebel Brewer Closing...
It is with a heavy heart that I announce that after 8 years, we will be closing down our warehouse and retail location.
That being said I wanted to give all our facebook friends the heads up, we need to get out of the warehouse so we have marked down all in stock merchandise. 20% off everything we stock. Please help us by stocking up. I will be announcing this to our 20K+ newsletter readers tomorrow. More details here: https://www.rebelbre...use-closing-faq

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

Huh. They were one of the online suppliers that I used quite a bit but I noticed that many recent visits to their site had me finding a lot of what I needed to be out of stock so I would have to go elsewhere. It did seem like there was a real boom in suppliers over the past 8-10 years and I suppose there is a saturation point. Thanks for the heads-up.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

Huh. They were one of the online suppliers that I used quite a bit but I noticed that many recent visits to their site had me finding a lot of what I needed to be out of stock so I would have to go elsewhere. It did seem like there was a real boom in suppliers over the past 8-10 years and I suppose there is a saturation point. Thanks for the heads-up.

I agree with the boom.  I remember when Brewmasters Warehouse was my go to and then they went down the tank.  I think I will pick up some yeast on sale and see if anything else strikes my fancy.

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, the number of homebrewers is declining and new ones aren't starting as fast as they used to.  It's inevitable that stores will close.  And the ones that are starting want a different kind of hobby than many of us.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

Yeah, the number of homebrewers is declining and new ones aren't starting as fast as they used to.  It's inevitable that stores will close.  And the ones that are starting want a different kind of hobby than many of us.

By that are you talking about the Pico brew and machines like that, smaller batches or ???

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

After looking around it does not look like I will buy anything.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

Maybe it was posted already elsewhere but Nikobrew bit the dust as well.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

Maybe it was posted already elsewhere but Nikobrew bit the dust as well.

Yeah I saw that.  Sad backstory on that one, he really got taken it seems.

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

Yes, I'm curious about what you wrote. I have my own thoughts and actually think that the craft brew business in general is going to peak but not necessarily 'decline' as much as taper do a lowered level. Sometimes guys would rather drink a beer than discuss the nuances of the hop or malt bill etc not to mention not all breweries make anything noteworthy. As far as the homebrewer, I'd suspect many that are hanging up the paddle fell out of love with the work involved.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Yes, I'm curious about what you wrote. I have my own thoughts and actually think that the craft brew business in general is going to peak but not necessarily 'decline' as much as taper do a lowered level. Sometimes guys would rather drink a beer than discuss the nuances of the hop or malt bill etc not to mention not all breweries make anything noteworthy. As far as the homebrewer, I'd suspect many that are hanging up the paddle fell out of love with the work involved.

Along that note the beer scene is so much better now than when I started brewing.  Most of the beers you could only find if you brewed them yourself but now those styles are brewed by many.  I still enjoy the process of brewing and do not see going away from it, at least for a while.

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

Along that note the beer scene is so much better now than when I started brewing.  Most of the beers you could only find if you brewed them yourself but now those styles are brewed by many.  I still enjoy the process of brewing and do not see going away from it, at least for a while.

I agree. I'm in it for the beer, the process, the science, the learning, the beer :)

#12 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111433 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

I just like making stuff myself. It's more satisfying to me to eat bread I baked, vegetables I grew, and beer I made.

#13 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

We just had a brewery and a homebrew shop announce they are closing by the end of the month. Valiant Brewing is in the hot spot of Orange County for breweries and decided to call it quits after 8 years.

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

By that are you talking about the Pico brew and machines like that, smaller batches or ???

Both actually.  Surveys show that new brewers want an easy, fun activity that fits in with all the other things they do.  Not so many people are looking for a time consuming "religion" compared to what it used to be like.

Yeah I saw that.  Sad backstory on that one, he really got taken it seems.

Yeah, it wasn't becasue of ;lack of sales.  It was becasue he was trying to open a brewery and got ripped off on the equipment.

That's a pretty fair assessment.

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

I just like making stuff myself. It's more satisfying to me to eat bread I baked, vegetables I grew, and beer I made.

Agreed and the maker culture just keeps getting stronger.  A lot of homebrew demos are happening at maker fairs and the AHA is targeting that kind of event to find new brewers.  But it loks like those new brewers don't want a 3 keg, PID controlled mini brewery.  They want something like the Zymatic, Pico, Grainfather, BIAB experience.  Make their own beer, but keep it easy, quick and fun.

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

Agreed and the maker culture just keeps getting stronger.  A lot of homebrew demos are happening at maker fairs and the AHA is targeting that kind of event to find new brewers.  But it loks like those new brewers don't want a 3 keg, PID controlled mini brewery.  They want something like the Zymatic, Pico, Grainfather, BIAB experience.  Make their own beer, but keep it easy, quick and fun.

easy and quick aren't really terms I equate with allgrain home brewing

#17 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

I know CraftBeerPi is growing.

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:23 AM

easy and quick aren't really terms I equate with allgrain home brewing

Fun definitely. Easy? Depends on the brewer, his set up and procedure. Quick? Not likely but many tasks can be spread out days before brew day which does cut down on brew day time. I for one am constantly learning how to cut down on time and literally take less steps on brew day. To me that increase fun and ease and even reduces time :)

I think bottom line is that if you love the craft you're going to suit it to your own style and needs. All good.

#19 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:37 AM

If homebrewing is on the decline, even a little, maybe that will ultimately translate into lower prices/better availability for certain ingredients, like hard-to-find/new hop varieties.

Probably unlikely, but a guy can hope, right?

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:00 AM

Fun definitely. Easy? Depends on the brewer, his set up and procedure. Quick? Not likely but many tasks can be spread out days before brew day which does cut down on brew day time. I for one am constantly learning how to cut down on time and literally take less steps on brew day. To me that increase fun and ease and even reduces time :)

I think bottom line is that if you love the craft you're going to suit it to your own style and needs. All good.

I guess quick is relative.  My quickest AG batch was just over 2 hours and 45 minutes.  Granted, I do some things that other brewers do not want to like a short 30 minute boil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users