#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

I currently use Better Bottles. I've met a couple of people with glass carboy injuries, one lifelong damage, so glass is just not something I'm interested in. The better bottles have been very good, but they are a gallon short and so a blowoff is necessary every time.

So I've been fighting the urge to get a ss brew tech 7 gallon chronical. I've got money saved up so that's not a problem, but a couple of concerns and questions I have are:

- portability. The carboy I can carry from the garage to a room in the house for helping with temp control. I'd love to leave it in the garage but temp control is a big concern as I don't have a chamber or any way to heat/cool it. But if it is more movable than I think it is then o could move it.

- as stated I hate glass, but my secondary fermentors are 5 gallon glass carboys. Would the ss chronical allow me to secondary in the same vessel due to how you can dump the trub and yeast after primary?

- anyone here have any opinions about the brewbucket instead of the chronical?

- is the move to stainless conical going to make brewing easier or produce a better final product or should I just stick with the better bottles as I've not had one bad batch from them?

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:16 PM

You have a 'chronic' problem calling the conical a 'chronical'. :lol:

I use plastic 6.5 gallon buckets and have done that for a long time. I have broken quite a few glass carboys and I have rid my entire brewery of them. The plastic fermenters are easy to clean and sanitize and when you finally decide that they're no longer good for brewing, you can use them for other things like out in the yard and replace them with a brand new one for $8 or whatever at the LHBS.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:19 PM

You have a 'chronic' problem calling the conical a 'chronical'. :lol:

Well, it's what they're actually called:

https://www.ssbrewte...allon-chronical

:huh:

#4 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:07 PM

I have two 14 gallon stainless chapman fermenters, essentially the bucket design. I am very happy with them, and I consider them to be the best value, even with their increases in price over the years.

You could get two of these for less than the 7 gallon conical. I do use mine for 5 gallon batches as well as 10 gallon. They also have a 7 gallon version if you want something smaller, but I like not having to worry about blow off tubes for the smaller batches (still a problem for 10 gallon batches if I'm not careful). I really wish their smaller one was at least 8 gallons, as that would be a size I would be more comfortable using for 5 gallon batches.

The handles on the chapman are pretty easy to use as well. You do lose the functionality of a conical, but you gain the ease of cleaning of a bucket, and the advantages of stainless. You can also modify them pretty easily if you wanted to (some have made them into electric kettles, others have added triclamps to the top for accessory fittings for racking, etc.)

#5 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:02 AM

I use a pin lock keg in a mini fridge controlled by STC1000+. I'm in the process of switching over to a DIY BrewPi set up.Still experimenting with using a spunding valve and fermentation under pressure. 

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:49 AM

Well, it's what they're actually called:

https://www.ssbrewte...allon-chronical

:huh:

:lol:

I know. I'm giving you the bidness. I love the look of those things. Super polished. But what can I say, I'm helplessly old-school. My brewing equipment is really old-school or really low-cost except a few minor things like a Thermapen and a decent pH meter. I prefer to sink the money into my bar area instead of into equipment but you never know. Maybe I'll retire and have a gleaming stainless brewery under a glass dome in my backyard for all to see. :D Until then... plastic buckets baby!

#7 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:52 AM

Ale Pails here.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:03 AM

I use heavily modified Chapman steeltanks. I looked at the SS tech ones but I was able to get these and modify them how I wanted cheaper. They work perfect for me.

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64052 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

I've actually started fermenting in my brewpot, but the last couple ofnyears i've been using plain old 5 gallon plastic buckets. After starting with buckets then trying pretty much every other option over the years I realized the plastic buckets are as easy to use as anything else, probably even moreso. I don't see any reason to use annexpensive stainless vessel unless you're doing something specific that requires it, like carbonating and serving in the fermenter.

#10 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

Thanks guys. I'll stick with the better bottles. I think I'll make a keezer instead. Tired of stand up fridge and picnic taps.

#11 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111795 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

Keezers rule!

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

Keezers rule!

their reign is often short

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

their reign is often short

Why?

#14 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111795 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

They're not designed to run as intermittently as a fridge

#15 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

They're not designed to run as intermittently as a fridge

I try to keep mine loaded and run with a 3df (I think) swing.  The serving kegerator has to be at least 10 now.  Carbing and conditioning maybe 6 - 7

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

I try to keep mine loaded and run with a 3df (I think) swing.  The serving kegerator has to be at least 10 now.  Carbing and conditioning maybe 6 - 7

that should help

#17 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

I can't begin to say enough positive things about the speidel fermenters. Good handles, easy to clean, etc etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users