#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:10 AM

I like to check in on this occasionally.  I store my malted grain in the orange HDPE #2 homer buckets.  it's a food safe type of plastic but home depot won't commit to them being food safe.  I probably wouldn't put liquid in them but something like a dry good seems less risky to me.  Thoughts?  Anyone have the inside scoop?

#2 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

I use Vittles Vaults; I know this doesn't answer the OP, but I'd not risk using a HD bucket for my grain.

Besides uncertainty re: food safe or not, I'd want a storage container that's air-tight, and I doubt the HD buckets are air-tight.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

the air tightness doesn't seem to be an issue.  I've had some base malts for years in there and it's still crunchy.

I get obsessive about stuff though and right now I'm trying to talk myself down on this issue.  I've read it's the release agent that would likely make them not food safe if anything.  I did wash these out when I bought them so hopefully that was enough.  I guess I'm also hoping that since malt is dry it wouldn't be absorbing much of anything.

but as I said - I can freak out about literally anything.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 12 March 2017 - 07:00 AM.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:00 AM

I use both Homer buckets and the old red top fermenters. No issues that I have found.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:02 AM

I use both Homer buckets and the old red top fermenters. No issues that I have found.

let's do this!

gallery-1459967646-hbz-thelma-and-louise

those red top fermenters actually are food grade (fork and knife logo on the bottom).

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53922 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:07 AM

I keep things in bags in Rubbermaid containers and then just slide the containers under a storage shelf I have in my basement. Out of the way, dark, cool place, mice won't be tempted to go there because it's sealed up, etc. I don't think I would hesitate to use a homer bucket that was brand new to store grain in.

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

I use 5 gallon plastic bucket from Lowe's. Mine had a sticker that said food grade safe. I'd presume they are the same as a Homer bucket. I'd say you're safe especially for dry storage.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:58 AM

I use 5 gallon plastic bucket from Lowe's. Mine had a sticker that said food grade safe. I'd presume they are the same as a Homer bucket. I'd say you're safe especially for dry storage.

HD says these orange ones are not food safe but I take that more to mean they won't commit to saying they are food safe.  the type of plastic should be okay.  it's more in the manufacture of the bucket where there might be an issue.

HD also sells white buckets that I believe they will say are food safe for a little bit more.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:58 AM

I use 5 gallon buckets I got for a buck/ea. from the bakery at the LHFS. They originally held things like molasses, honey, and coconut oil. They are usually white but I have a few molasses buckets that are orange.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:10 AM

certainly there is no reason an orange colored bucket couldn't be food safe.  even the white ones likely have white dye in them.  I think HDPE 2 is naturally kind of milky white and not pure white like a lot of the food safe buckets you see.

#11 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:13 AM

I really doubt that anything would happen to the grains while in the bucket. Another idea if you're concerned put the grains in a plastic bag then put in the bucket. Just a thought

#12 mabrungard

mabrungard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

While I doubt that dry grain would pick up much of any contaminants from a non-food-grade container, I see that there are at least a couple of factors that can prevent a HDPE container from being considered food-grade. The first is the use of non-food-grade mold release agents during manufacture. The second is the use of potentially toxic dyes to color the plastic. 

I'm guessing that you could remove most of the mold release agent from the inside of the container via a hot soapy water wash and rinse. I'm also betting that the ability for toxic dye components to leave the plastic matrix is low. The bottom line is that it would be difficult to assure that the plastic wouldn't contribute some undesirable agents to your grain. 

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

Generally its the mold release compound, as Martin said.

I bought the food grade buckets from Lowes to store my grain. $5/ea. I'm not going to worry about the $1 premium over the Homer bucket.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

yeah - I already have a bunch of the homer buckets.  I could swap them out I guess but then what do I do with my homer buckets???

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

I wouldn't worry about it myself, it's dry grain.

I just put 35 lbs in white hardware store buckets.

#16 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111778 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

yeah - I already have a bunch of the homer buckets. I could swap them out I guess but then what do I do with my homer buckets???

I can always find a use around the house/garage for a homer bucket!

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

found a homebrew podcast where the toxicologist says he uses homer buckets for water when camping.  he wouldn't suggest it for long term storage of liquids but for grain pretty much no risk of stuff migrating out of the plastic.

kind of what I would expect.

this page ref the podcasts and specific episodes: https://www.homebrew...t=476031&page=2

I think they also talk about cooler mash tuns.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 12 March 2017 - 11:21 AM.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

That's a good enough endorsement for me. Since you already have them i would go ahead and use them. Buying new i'd pony up the extra buck for food grade certified.

#19 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111778 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

For the record I wouldn't hesitate myself. "Food grade" is really more about paying for a certification in most cases. The concerns above about the mold release and toxic dyes are valid, but as has been said, washing with hot water and soap will take care of the former. As for dyes, as far as I know the dyes in that sort of plastic manufacturing are mixed in prior to the molding process and I'd be surprised if there was much leaching. Especially in a dry environment... But if I had no choice I wouldn't even be afraid to use a homer bucket as a primary fermenter.

#20 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

Storing dry grain - I wouldn't worry.  FWIW I pickup up a 5 gallon food grade bucket at HD today - about $4.  I needed it for wet curing in the dorm fridge.

When Food Babe was about 3 I fermented more than a few batches in a plastic trash container with a plastic bag from the cleaners for the lid.  Turned out good enough for what we were brewing then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users