Barley wine in the fermenter. 1.094.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

Made THIS yesterday. Brewday went smoothly despite it being around 28° and windy for most of the day. That batch is bubbling along nicely in the fridge and smells like beer heaven. :D That was a BIG barleywine Armagh. Your arms must be sore. :P

#3 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

That was a BIG barleywine Armagh. Your arms must be sore. :P

My strength is that of ten because my heart is pure. :frank:

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

Brewed up a session hoppy beer. Managed to get 6g done in 2 hours and 3 minutes start to in the fermenter.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

Brewed an IPA on Saturday. All 2 Row malt and El Dorado hops. The hops were sent to me from Chilliwack Farms in Canada. They were infused with Evergreen. Smelled and looked amazing. Pitched US-05. SG 1.064 101 IBU's.

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

Maybe later this week, when it warms up a bit.  Some kind of pale lager.

Waiting on a wake-up stirplate starter of 34/70 slurry to get going.

#7 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

I'm mashing the third 5 gallon batch of barleywine for my multi vessel solera project that I'm starting this year.

I originally wanted to be able to do today's as a 10 gallon batch, but I don't have the kettle space for the boil down necessary. For the first two batches, I went from 9.5-10 gallons down to 5 gallons after a multi hour boil. The first batch came out at 1.134 and the second batch at 1.124.

For this batch, I'm experimenting some by adding more grain and doing a thicker mash so that I hopefully don't have to boil as long as I have been. I've got enough base grain, so I don't feel bad for wasting it. I'm hoping to be able to do this as a no sparge and a much shorter boil.

I hope to be able to do a fourth batch of the barleywine so that I have 20 gallons to work with. I'm using Sanke kegs for my storage vessels, so I want to make sure that I can fill it to the brim before putting the spear back in for long term storage. I will do this once a year for the next three years to get up to three sanke kegs, and I'll do a pull from the oldest sanke, and then do a cascading refill. The fourth year I should only have to brew 5 gallons, which will be nice, but these first three years will be 20 gallons each year!

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:16 AM

Transferred a Belgian Porter to 2nd with a few charred oak cubes and a pound of raisins that have been soaking in Madeira since October.

#9 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

I know it's not the 11th or 12th, but I might try to squeeze in a brew after work today.  Just depends on if I have to cook dinner tonight....and how much the wind is blowing.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

I am currently debating brewing tomorrow during the big snow. I will be working from home so I could squeeze it in just not sure what to brew.

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

I am currently debating brewing tomorrow during the big snow. I will be working from home so I could squeeze it in just not sure what to brew.

A nice Amber with Mosaic, Cascade and Amarillo.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

A nice Amber with Mosaic, Cascade and Amarillo.

I brewed a Mosaic and Amarillo beer yesterday so I will have to choose something different.

I may just do a citra pils!

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

I brewed a Mosaic and Amarillo beer yesterday so I will have to choose something different.

I may just do a citra pils!

Something about the Mosaic/Amarillo thing that's on my taste buds right now that's why I made the suggestion, Great Minds :)

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

Something about the Mosaic/Amarillo thing that's on my taste buds right now that's why I made the suggestion, Great Minds :)

I had not brewed much with Amarillo since I had a bad batch.  Got a fresh # this year and decided that it had to be done.  Skipped the WP addition on this one and instead added 3oz to the fermenter and pumped the wort in a bit warmer and let that "steep" till it cooled to pitch.  Fingers crossed.

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

I had not brewed much with Amarillo since I had a bad batch.  Got a fresh # this year and decided that it had to be done.  Skipped the WP addition on this one and instead added 3oz to the fermenter and pumped the wort in a bit warmer and let that "steep" till it cooled to pitch.  Fingers crossed.

Wow, please keep me/us posted.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

citra pils!

:covreyes:

#17 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:46 PM

Looks like next week for me; my resurrection starter of 34/70 is now going full-tilt.

Next week may be a double brew week, with 34/70 as the yeast du jour for each batch.  Either 2 lagers, or 1 ale and 1 lager batch.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

:covreyes:

Yeah not everyone seems to love the idea. I think people get caught up in names where a Pils should not have Citra but nothing really stops you from doing it other than tradition and things like the BJCP. I will measure out the grain and mill it tonight before the storm hits and hops will be a game time decision. I also have some motueka and saaz I could use. Still up in the air.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:57 PM

Yeah not everyone seems to love the idea. I think people get caught up in names where a Pils should not have Citra but nothing really stops you from doing it other than tradition and things like the BJCP. I will measure out the grain and mill it tonight before the storm hits and hops will be a game time decision. I also have some motueka and saaz I could use. Still up in the air.

I'm all for experimenting but when it comes to certain styles I try to stay inside the lines. I actually love all of the options and flexibility we have but I don't exercise it everywhere. I'm sure it will be good but I would have a hard time referring to it as a pilsner. Keep us posted on what you do.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

I'm all for experimenting but when it comes to certain styles I try to stay inside the lines. I actually love all of the options and flexibility we have but I don't exercise it everywhere. I'm sure it will be good but I would have a hard time referring to it as a pilsner. Keep us posted on what you do.

Okay I will call it a lager ☺️

So far grain is measured out:
11# pils
0.5# Munich
0.25 melanoidin
0.25 acid malt

Hops TBD!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users