#1 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:04 AM

I'm brewing up a Vanilla Maple Porter on Sunday.  Got the starter going last night.  What about the rest of you?

#2 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

was hoping to get my water results back today.  I'm definitely waiting on brewing my next batch until I get that.   I decided this week that i can taste an odd aftertaste on both of the brews that i've bottled this year.  I'm not sure if it is from chlorine or something else. 

#3 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

was hoping to get my water results back today.  I'm definitely waiting on brewing my next batch until I get that.   I decided this week that i can taste an odd aftertaste on both of the brews that i've bottled this year.  I'm not sure if it is from chlorine or something else. 

Its your upper lip.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

Do you do anything to get rid of chlorine? You can filter it, use a campden tablet or run it the day before and occasionally stir it to have the chlorine release naturally. If beer is brewed with chlorine, you may get something (supposedly) that resembles a Band-Aid character. My water is heavily chlorinated and it smells and tastes like a public pool. I run it through a carbon-block filter before brewing.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

Grains crushed and starter of Wyeast 1007 German Ale yeast going this morning. Planning to brew the first of a couple Gose beers on Saturday. I've got Lavender and Hibiscus I wanna try in it. Plan to sour the mash with acidulated malt too. 

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

Re: chlorine, I measure out my water a week before brew day and let it gas off

#7 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

I did get some campden tablets but thought i might hold off on trying them till i get the water profile.   If i was really motivated I could go to a local spring and get 8 gallons of water, zero chlorine there.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

Chlorine is only an issue if you brew with it. It's easy to remove and there are a number of ways to do it. When I was a new brewer making extract batches and boiling only three gallons, I would fill the kettle directly from the tap and go. When you get your water report back there will be plenty of things to address but chlorine doesn't have to be one of them. Just get rid of it and move on.

#9 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

Brewing Monday; taking my resurrected starter of 34/70 out for a test run on an all-Liberty hopped lager.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

Brewing Monday; taking my resurrected starter of 34/70 out for a test run on an all-Liberty hopped lager.

That sounds like a nice beer. Put some American nobles to work! :D I think I'm going to make one more beer with this S-04 and I was thinking along the same lines... Rahr Pale Ale malt, some Munich 2, a pound of flaked corn, Nugget to bitter and then late Crystal hops for a 5 SRM, 35 IBU, 5% ale. Maybe Sunday if I have the time.

#11 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

That sounds like a nice beer. Put some American nobles to work! :D I think I'm going to make one more beer with this S-04 and I was thinking along the same lines... Rahr Pale Ale malt, some Munich 2, a pound of flaked corn, Nugget to bitter and then late Crystal hops for a 5 SRM, 35 IBU, 5% ale. Maybe Sunday if I have the time.

The plan is mainly pils, plus some munich & wheat, and then all Liberty.

Shooting for something ~6%, ~35-40 IBUs, and ~7-8 SRM, an American-inspired Dortmunder type of lager.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

Yum. I'm thinking "cream ale with some character" kind of thing. Everyone enjoy their brewdays and cheers all around.

#13 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:49 AM

Rainy day. Going to get started around noon. Dunkel

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

Water is filtered and grains are measured out for a brewday tomorrow that looks like this...

2rxywxh.jpg

I'm going to use this S-04 one more time on this beer. Balanced water profile, mash at 150° for 60 minutes. The American 2-row is split up because it's 5 lbs of Rahr Pale Ale malt and 2 pounds of this Patagonia Extra Pale that I have left. I'm hoping it's got a bit of color and depth and nice clarity since this S-04 seems to drop like a rock. Supposed to be 48° and sunny tomorrow and I've certainly brewed in worse conditions. Cheers Beerheads.

#15 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Got the dunkelweizen started at about 12:45....should have checked my email, my ward labs test results came in at about 12:30. Will start a new thread on that later tonight.

#16 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

Long brew day.  Couldn't seem to stay organized.

Missed my OG by .01, that seems like a real high miss.   Overshot my water by about 1 gallon.  Less absorbed than I expected and less boiled off than I expected.

Oh well, it will make beer.

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

only .01 high? that's totally acceptable in my book

#18 Hines

Hines