#1 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

Now that I have your collective attention - and potential ridicule - it struck me while in the car today that there is a Belgian category for this, a couple of threads here about an American version, but nothing about a German version.  I can envision a malt profile and German Magnum hops for bittering, but the notion of a high gravity German ale yeast had me stuck.  Suggestions and derision welcome.

And yes, I do know the basis for the existence of the Belgian category for this style.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

sounds a lot like a maibock.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

I'd give it a go with a Kolsch type yeast or maybe even the Widmer yeast

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:32 AM

Aside from the word; Ale, how about a big lager? I used the cake of my Vienna Lager and created a Golden Doppelbock that came in around mid 70s and finished at 8%. Inspired by Denny's BYO Fast Lagering article and Tasty McDole's recipe. Beautiful malt presence. Definitely making it again but will up the bitterness with the Mt. Hoods and Spalts.

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:44 AM

When i hear the phrase "golden ale", Duvel comes to mind.

That said, for a more German-slanted golden ale, I'd use mostly pils (>90%), with maybe a little wheat and/or Munich for some character if desired, but otherwise pale, as in somewhere b/w a pilsner and SNPA in color.

A long, low mash for high fermentability, and maybe a bit of cane sugar to keep things dried out, added with 5 min left in the boil.

All German/noble hops to get whatever hop character you're looking for, and pitch a big healthy starter of whatever German ale yeast you like best.  A healthy pitch of 34/70 at cooler ale temps (~60°F) would be nice, too.

Just a few ideas to add to the mix.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

When i hear the phrase "golden ale", Duvel comes to mind.

That said, for a more German-slanted golden ale, I'd use mostly pils (>90%), with maybe a little wheat and/or Munich for some character if desired, but otherwise pale, as in somewhere b/w a pilsner and SNPA in color.

A long, low mash for high fermentability, and maybe a bit of cane sugar to keep things dried out, added with 5 min left in the boil.

All German/noble hops to get whatever hop character you're looking for, and pitch a big healthy starter of whatever German ale yeast you like best.  A healthy pitch of 34/70 at cooler ale temps (~60°F) would be nice, too.

Just a few ideas to add to the mix.

You are so very right on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users