#1 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

Any one used this technique?  Advocates say it can yield a sour beer in far less time than the traditional method(s) and avoids potential contamination of other equipment.  Curious as to whether there are down sides.

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

I've done a berlinner. It was descent but too fruity since I didn't drop the temp enough before pitching the yeast.

Run off to kettle. I boiled for 5 minutes. Chill to 95F. Pitch a pure lacto starter. Keep at 95F with a heat wrap or what not. When sufficiently sour, drop to 65/70F and pitch yeast.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:40 PM

I did a similar thing where I brought the wort just to a boil before cooling to 75F, racking to the carboy and pitching the Omega Labs Lactobacillus. It soured the wort very fast and it got just a touch too sour before I pitched my sacc strain. For my tastes anyways. Turned out pretty good in the end though.

I cant speak to it but the only downside I have heard about is the one-dimensionality flavor profile of the single strain pitches of lactobacillus. I have wanted to try the method in the link to make a lacto starter from grain but have yet to do so.

httpss://www.fivebladesbrewing.com/lactobacillus-starter-guide/

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

Oakshire has had great luck using yogurt for kettle souring.

#5 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111763 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:56 AM

This thread is relevant to my interests. A decade ago it seems like it was nearly impossible to get any good information about making a Berliner Weisse at home. Talk to me...

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:25 AM

This thread is relevant to my interests. A decade ago it seems like it was nearly impossible to get any good information about making a Berliner Weisse at home. Talk to me...

Milk the funk wiki is a great place to start.

https://www.milkthef.../wiki/Main_Page

But in general the fast acting lacto from Omega is what you want.

Oakshire has had great luck using yogurt for kettle souring.

Very true. Goodbelly is available lots of places and does a good job of fast souring.

#7 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111763 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

Thanks! that is exactly the website I would have loved to see back then. Looks like I'll be making a sour beer or two in the future...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users