#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:20 AM

What if it doesn't look like it's fermented overnight?

wyeast 2124.  it was manufactured in december so not very old.  I used some yeast nutrient and did everything like I have been doing.  I'm just not seeing airlock activity, foam on the starter, carbonation in the starter when I swirl it around.  I haven't take the gravity yet but I'd hate to have to do that since it's only 2L.

I won't be ready to pitch until lunch or a little after that but damnit!  now I'm wondering if I should go to the LHBS and pick up some of the dry yeast equivalent.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 24 March 2017 - 06:21 AM.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16629 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:26 AM

What if it doesn't look like it's fermented overnight?

wyeast 2124. it was manufactured in december so not very old. I used some yeast nutrient and did everything like I have been doing. I'm just not seeing airlock activity, foam on the starter, carbonation in the starter when I swirl it around. I haven't take the gravity yet but I'd hate to have to do that since it's only 2L.

I won't be ready to pitch until lunch or a little after that but damnit! now I'm wondering if I should go to the LHBS and pick up some of the dry yeast equivalent.

More art than science here, but I would. If I have really fresh yeast from a pack or a harvest I will count on the 007 to be ready in 12-18 hrs. Older yeast (2-3 months) seems like its not really rocking for 24hrs. Older than that and I will build it up on a stir plate.

Using 2 pkts. 34/70 myself today.

ETA: you want that starter to be rocking when it goes in your wort. I would be worried about the state of your starter when going into 10 gallons of lager.

Edited by neddles, 24 March 2017 - 06:28 AM.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:31 AM

what are the recommended dry yeasts for german pils?  obviously 34/70.  how about S-189?

for 10 gals I need 3 packs?  4 packs?  they'd just go straight into the wort.  OG is about 1.051 (predicted).

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:34 AM

what are the recommended dry yeasts for german pils?  obviously 34/70.  how about S-189?

for 10 gals I need 3 packs?  4 packs?  they'd just go straight into the wort.  OG is about 1.051 (predicted).

I use 2 for 5 so 4 for ten.

Try warming the starter up to get it going.  I have been lucky and not encountered this issue even with some very old packs.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16629 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:35 AM

If your replacing 2124 go with 34/70. Lots of s189 fans here too. Ive never used it. Again more art than science but Id go with 3 packs if they are all well within date.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:36 AM

I mean - I could always try to hold the wort for a little while and pitch the starter when ready.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:37 AM

I wouldn't expect a 007 starter to be active overnight with yeast that was 4 months old. I would assume it would kick in at some point but not that quickly. Also, I might smack it first and let it go for 2-3 days and then drop it into the starter.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

I wouldn't expect a 007 starter to be active overnight with yeast that was 4 months old. I would assume it would kick in at some point but not that quickly. Also, I might smack it first and let it go for 2-3 days and then drop it into the starter.

I guess I haven't had enough experience with this method yet.  maybe I've been lucky to always have pretty fresh yeast.

I would expect this yeast to be in very good condition despite the age though.  I bought it from ritebrew and they shipped it in an insulated package with a small ice pack and this was in December.  it went straight into my fridge and has been sitting there.  no funky smells at all when I dumped it in the starter.

#9 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:43 AM

Both are excellent dry yeast choices for a German pils. 

I'd pitch 2 packets for 5 gal or 4 packets for 10 gal. 

And yes, I'd just sprinkle them onto the wort and let them get to work on their own (don't stir them in).

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:44 AM

if all else fails why not just pitch later today or tomorrow.  I have done that with out any issue as I wait for the beer to get to pitching temps.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16629 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:48 AM

I guess I haven't had enough experience with this method yet. maybe I've been lucky to always have pretty fresh yeast.

I would expect this yeast to be in very good condition despite the age though. I bought it from ritebrew and they shipped it in an insulated package with a small ice pack and this was in December. it went straight into my fridge and has been sitting there. no funky smells at all when I dumped it in the starter.

IME yeast 4 months old just isn't going to take off that fast, regardless of shipping and storage or where I bought it. Could be just me tho.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:52 AM

IME yeast 4 months old just isn't going to take off that fast, regardless of shipping and storage or where I bought it. Could be just me tho.

that could very well be the case.  I don't normally worry about it too much so like I said - maybe I just got lucky in the past on how fast they took off.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:56 AM

I actually think I'm seeing a few bubbles along the edge of the surface.  I swear to god yeast have wifi built in and read our posts.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16629 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

Grab some dry for insurance. You'll use it at some point. If your starter gets rocking toss it in.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:59 AM

Grab some dry for insurance. You'll use it at some point. If your starter gets rocking toss it in.

not a bad idea except my LHBS will charge me an arm and a leg for it :P

supporting local businesses? :lol:

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:38 AM

Fwiw, I used one pack of S189 in 5 gallons (used it 5 times) and had GREAT beers as a result.

#17 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

One word:  DRAUFLASSEN!!!!  Pitch that 2124 into a gallon or so of the wort and let it go over night and tomorrow it should be rocking and ready to pitch.... well so says Chils, and it worked nice the 2 times I tried it.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16629 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

Well?  What did you do Morty?

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

I let my mash go for a while to give this thing a chance but right now it's not really kickin'.  I'm chilling the wort right now.

I could easily direct some of my wort into my starter vessel (5 gal better bottle - huge I know!).  I guess the question is how likely is it that this yeast is just straight up dead?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 24 March 2017 - 11:14 AM.

#20 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

I'm having a dumb day which leads me to my question; what is an 007 starter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users