#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

I'm having a dumb day which leads me to my question; what is an 007 starter?

shaken not stirred.  ringing a bell now?

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

so if I do the drauflausenbergenstienerhoff do I need to add O2 to my main batch when I add it in?  I'm probably just going to shake the starter again if I add in some wort.

eta: what temp do I ferment the drauflausenbergenstienerhoff at?  same as the main ferment or warm like a starter?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 24 March 2017 - 11:31 AM.

#23 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

shaken not stirred.  ringing a bell now?

Thanks my Friend :)

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Thanks my Friend :)

it went by many names.  some of them can't be repeated in polite company.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

I haven't done a "007" starter in a long time. I use my stirplate when I make a starter and I have always had good results. All of that said, I have two packs of Omega yeast (the West Coast Ale and the Bayern Lager) and Omega doesn't place a nutrient pack in there. You may recall that I had a OYL004 packet that I used without a starter in a 5% ale and it took 3-4 days to take off and the beer did not come out well. These two other Omega packs are up next here and I *WILL* be making starters for both of them and I will be making sure that all looks and smells okay with these. Again, if it were me with 2124 that was a few months old, I would smack it. Many people say WHY SMACK IT? YOU'RE GOING TO PUT IT INTO A STARTER ANYWAY! But I want to know that it's viable so I smack it and then pitch it into a starter. You can't do that with White Labs or Omega so you just have to cross your fingers.

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

I let my mash go for a while to give this thing a chance but right now it's not really kickin'.  I'm chilling the wort right now.

I could easily direct some of my wort into my starter vessel (5 gal better bottle - huge I know!).  I guess the question is how likely is it that this yeast is just straight up dead?

I have never had a dead packet of yeast. Last summer I revived one that was 20+ months old. Not exactly the same situation but I did an SNS recently of a 7 month old packet of yeast (It was 1 packet into 1L, yours was 1 packet into 2L IIRC?) and it took over 24 hrs to show any signs of life. Not going strong until 42 hrs after pitching. Your yeast is younger but you pitched into twice as much wort.

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

I haven't done a "007" starter in a long time. I use my stirplate when I make a starter and I have always had good results. All of that said, I have two packs of Omega yeast (the West Coast Ale and the Bayern Lager) and Omega doesn't place a nutrient pack in there. You may recall that I had a OYL004 packet that I used without a starter in a 5% ale and it took 3-4 days to take off and the beer did not come out well. These two other Omega packs are up next here and I *WILL* be making starters for both of them and I will be making sure that all looks and smells okay with these. Again, if it were me with 2124 that was a few months old, I would smack it. Many people say WHY SMACK IT? YOU'RE GOING TO PUT IT INTO A STARTER ANYWAY! But I want to know that it's viable so I smack it and then pitch it into a starter. You can't do that with White Labs or Omega so you just have to cross your fingers.

I always smack mine. That said, have you ever had a dead pack of yeast that never took off in a starter? Maybe I've been lucky but that has never happened to me.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

I always smack mine. That said, have you ever had a dead pack of yeast that never took off in a starter? Maybe I've been lucky but that has never happened to me.

No. I have not had a dead pack that didn't swell when smacked or start when in a starter. I have taken 12+ month-old Wyeast packs out of the fridge and smacked them and a week may go by before they're getting swollen but I expect that. I have had older yeast that swelled up after awhile (1098 and 1272 come to mind) and when I opened the pack the slurry/liquid inside the pack was very dark and the yeast did not smell right. I think that I actually brewed with one of those (beer was not good) and I tossed the other one. This is why I do have S189 and something like S04 available as backup yeast. I don't want to get caught yeastless on brewday.

#29 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

I had a very old 3711 that took 2 full days just to show minimal activity. I used it anyway and got a mead down from 1.100 to 1.020. I expected more from that strain, I really did.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

so I directed 1 or so gallons of wort into the starter vessel.  it's sitting in the chest freezer with the wort that is already around 49-50F.  I figure I can wait until tomorrow and hopefully if I see some good activity I can just dump it all in the main fermentor and call it a day.  if not I guess I'll head to the LHBS for some dry yeast :-/

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

so I directed 1 or so gallons of wort into the starter vessel.  it's sitting in the chest freezer with the wort that is already around 49-50F.  I figure I can wait until tomorrow and hopefully if I see some good activity I can just dump it all in the main fermentor and call it a day.  if not I guess I'll head to the LHBS for some dry yeast :-/

Sounds like a solid plan to me.

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Sounds like a solid plan to me.

I mean - I guess if I end up using dry yeast and this starter takes off later I could just make another beer  :blink:

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:30 AM

still no really obvious activity - wtf???

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:34 AM

still no really obvious activity - wtf???

That's surprising but I guess dry time?

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:47 AM

That's surprising but I guess dry time?

yeah.  LHBS opens at 9.  hopefully he'll have a good dry option.

#36 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:58 AM

Am I reading correctly that your starter has been at 49-50F in the chest freezer with the rest of the wort you made yesterday?

#37 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:10 AM

Am I reading correctly that your starter has been at 49-50F in the chest freezer with the rest of the wort you made yesterday?

I personally would have left it at room temperature, but that is me.

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:03 AM

I probably should have but I did not.

My tale of woe continues. The dry yeast at the lhbs was best by 11/2016 so he gave me 4 packs for free.

#39 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:04 AM

I personally would have left it at room temperature, but that is me.

Me too. And I 'm not saying that is the only right way, I'm just saying that my understanding is that you want the yeast warmer when the priority is to get the yeast active ASAP.

I probably should have but I did not.

My tale of woe continues. The dry yeast at the lhbs was best by 11/2016 so he gave me 4 packs for free.

That yeast will be fine unless he keeps it out on the shelf at room temp.

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:16 AM

Yeah. I think you guys are right. I kind of goofed on that decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users