#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

NE IPA time anyone?  I'm really considering it.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:01 PM

Pondering it. Maybe in a few batches.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:54 AM

What are we considering here?  Run off get it to 170-180 and kill the heat and then add hops for a steep for some time and then chill as we normally would?

I wonder if I could add the brewtan when I steep the hops of if that needs a boil to "activate"?  I guess and e-mail to Denny or Joe may help there.

I may try this with just some two-row and whatever hop I have in excess, most likely Simcoe or Citra, and use a dry yeast to finish it off.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:28 AM

What are we considering here?  Run off get it to 170-180 and kill the heat and then add hops for a steep for some time and then chill as we normally would?

I wonder if I could add the brewtan when I steep the hops of if that needs a boil to "activate"?  I guess and e-mail to Denny or Joe may help there.

I may try this with just some two-row and whatever hop I have in excess, most likely Simcoe or Citra, and use a dry yeast to finish it off.

this could be a good contender for a split batch if you have 2 5 gal fermenters.  my ale pails are all pretty old so I'm not sure I trust them to not be harboring nasties in them.  I guess I could risk it though.

how hot of a liquid can you put in an ale pail?  I could mash it like a normal 10 gal batch and get it into the kettle.  then heat it up to 170-180F and then draw off about 5-6 gals into an ale pail with hops waiting in it.  then I could just stick it in the basement or the ferm chamber or an ice bath to cool down to pitching temps while I did the other 5 gal like a normal 30 min boil batch.

just use US-05 to ferment it.  probably make a pale ale or IPA type of beer.  2-row + crystal whatever  with maybe a little wheat thrown in for fun ;)

Edited by Evil_Morty, 28 March 2017 - 06:29 AM.

#5 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111714 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:29 AM

This seems like it's most appropriate for hop-forward beers?

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:30 AM

This seems like it's most appropriate for hop-forward beers?

probably.  it could also work well for a wheat beer I would think.  basically anything you don't mind being cloudy.

#7 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111714 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:32 AM

I'm just thinking without a boil you'll end up with more hop flavor/aroma and less bitterness, wouldn't you?

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:34 AM

I'm just thinking without a boil you'll end up with more hop flavor/aroma and less bitterness, wouldn't you?

I would think so but I think there might be other things going on if you don't have a hot break.

#9 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111714 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

True. I'll let you guys try it and report back :D

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:47 AM

this could be a good contender for a split batch if you have 2 5 gal fermenters.  my ale pails are all pretty old so I'm not sure I trust them to not be harboring nasties in them.  I guess I could risk it though.

how hot of a liquid can you put in an ale pail?  I could mash it like a normal 10 gal batch and get it into the kettle.  then heat it up to 170-180F and then draw off about 5-6 gals into an ale pail with hops waiting in it.  then I could just stick it in the basement or the ferm chamber or an ice bath to cool down to pitching temps while I did the other 5 gal like a normal 30 min boil batch.

just use US-05 to ferment it.  probably make a pale ale or IPA type of beer.  2-row + crystal whatever  with maybe a little wheat thrown in for fun ;)

I do have 2 SS fermenters for 6g batches.  This is an interesting idea, the split batch.  What would you use for a hoping schedule on the boiled batch?

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:56 AM

I do have 2 SS fermenters for 6g batches.  This is an interesting idea, the split batch.  What would you use for a hoping schedule on the boiled batch?

I can see two ways to go.  if I had a way to estimate the IBUs in the no boil batch of course...

1) try to match the IBUs and then add the same amount of flavor/aroma hops at 0 mins

2) boil the batch for 15-30 mins, chill it to 170-180 and then treat it exactly like the no boil batch.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:59 AM

I can see two ways to go.  if I had a way to estimate the IBUs in the no boil batch of course...

1) try to match the IBUs and then add the same amount of flavor/aroma hops at 0 mins

2) boil the batch for 15-30 mins, chill it to 170-180 and then treat it exactly like the no boil batch.

That is pretty much where I am.  It would show the difference that boiling gives.  I need to build a small system so I can do these at 2.5g batches!

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:22 AM

That is pretty much where I am.  It would show the difference that boiling gives.  I need to build a small system so I can do these at 2.5g batches!

don't you already make 5 gal batches?  you just need two smallish fermenters.  do you have 2 better bottles perhaps?  although those wouldn't be able to take the heat.  that brings me back to my other question - can ale pales made of #2 or whatever it is handle 180F?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 28 March 2017 - 07:22 AM.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:38 AM

don't you already make 5 gal batches?  you just need two smallish fermenters.  do you have 2 better bottles perhaps?  although those wouldn't be able to take the heat.  that brings me back to my other question - can ale pales made of #2 or whatever it is handle 180F?

It is where the element is in the kettle.  It limits boiling less that 3-3.5 gallons at a time.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

It is where the element is in the kettle.  It limits boiling less that 3-3.5 gallons at a time.

Stovetop, for science.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

Stovetop, for science.

it is an option for sure.  I have the pot for a smaller system already just need to do the work. 

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

ah!  got it.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

but yeah - I love the idea of saving time and energy.  I don't even need to get the chiller out!

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

Right now I am thinking of doing something like a 7g batch.  3.5g will be run out into a corny with hops to ferment in while the other 3.5g will be boiled for 30, chilled to 170 and then run into another corny with hops.  I will most likely use 1.5oz of Simcoe and 1.5oz of Citra in the kegs.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

I like where this is headed :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users