#41 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:52 AM

no, sorry the ball valve. It was in reference to "the 170-180F should kill anything in or on it right?"

oh.  I was talking about silicone tubing.  the issue I have with the ball valve is I don't want to cook stuff in there that I later have to clean out :P 

I think I'll probably use US-05 for the same reason.

#42 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

oh.  I was talking about silicone tubing.  the issue I have with the ball valve is I don't want to cook stuff in there that I later have to clean out :P

I think I'll probably use US-05 for the same reason.

My bad, I was confused.

I am also debating just doing this as a BIAB in my boil kettle.  I just have to find the bag that fits that pot.

Also,  If my PB  is 8.75g I will just leave 4.75 in my kettle so that I have an even 4g in both kegs to ferment.

#43 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:27 AM

Shot and e-mail to Joe F about the Brewtan.  See what he says.

#44 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:33 AM

Shot and e-mail to Joe F about the Brewtan.  See what he says.

great.  I was just going to ask if you had asked b/c I could have also done it but no need to bombard him with e-mails.

I'm considering not splitting the batch and just diving right in with 10 gals of no boil, chill in the fermentor beer.  I found online that HDPE #2 is rated to over 200F so I could put this straight into my red lid fermentor.  I guess the question is if it would be really bad for my chest freezer.  I mean, I could take the initial heat off maybe by letting it sit in the freezer with the freezer lid open and a small fan blowing on the fermentor and then after an hour or so close it up and turn the freezer on.  is that crazy?  I was really liking the idea of not having to even get my IC out and then clean it.  this could be the ultimate lazy man's pale ale ;)

Edited by Evil_Morty, 31 March 2017 - 06:33 AM.

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:49 AM

He suggested just adding it to the mash. 

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

good to know!  thanks.

so after reading the other thread I'm not sure if I should actually actively chill this.  that does seem like it's probably a good idea.  I would think my freezer would really struggle to chill 10 gals from such a high temp.

#47 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

good to know!  thanks.

so after reading the other thread I'm not sure if I should actually actively chill this.  that does seem like it's probably a good idea.  I would think my freezer would really struggle to chill 10 gals from such a high temp.

Why do you think it is a good idea?

#48 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

Why do you think it is a good idea?

I'm just worried about the hops sitting that long in hot wort.  not sure what would happen.  I guess I'm also looking to possibly minimize the number of changes here.  letting the wort sit hot/really warm for potentially hours would be a big change from what I normally do on top of the doing the no boil part.

#49 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

I'm just worried about the hops sitting that long in hot wort.  not sure what would happen.  I guess I'm also looking to possibly minimize the number of changes here.  letting the wort sit hot/really warm for potentially hours would be a big change from what I normally do on top of the doing the no boil part.

Sure, I can see that.  It would be doing a no-boil on top of a no-chill.  For my experiment I am limited because I am doing the split batch.  if I was not doing that I could use my CFC.  I guess I could run off to a small kettle and use an IM chiller and then pour it into the keg. 

#50 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

Sure, I can see that.  It would be doing a no-boil on top of a no-chill.  For my experiment I am limited because I am doing the split batch.  if I was not doing that I could use my CFC.  I guess I could run off to a small kettle and use an IM chiller and then pour it into the keg. 

make some slushy snow water and put the fermentor right in it.  that would chill it pretty quick.

#51 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

make some slushy snow water and put the fermentor right in it.  that would chill it pretty quick.

That is if there is snow left by Sunday!

#52 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

That is if there is snow left by Sunday!

is it going to be really warm this weekend?  or are you guys getting rain?

#53 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

is it going to be really warm this weekend?  or are you guys getting rain?

lots of rain right now.

#54 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

lots of rain right now.

oh - all snow here so far.  although a lot is melting on contact.

#55 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:44 AM

how did it go yesterday?

#56 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:51 AM

how did it go yesterday?

Sadly, delayed one week.  Sorry but family issues seemed to take over my chance to brew ... grumble .. grumble...

#57 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:58 AM

Sadly, delayed one week.  Sorry but family issues seemed to take over my chance to brew ... grumble .. grumble...

no need to say sorry to me!  I was just curious if everything went okay.  good luck!

#58 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:51 AM

Moved this to the brite keg yesterday, 2oz each of Simcoe and Citra in there.  I brewed it on April 16th and planned to move it sooner but things happened.  It had been in the lower 50's for the last week tho.

As expected, it is hazy but the surprising thing to me was the amount of bitterness that came from just the 20 minute wp addition.  Gave my father a sample and he was very surprised to know the process I took to brew this beer.  Indicated it tasted like a "normal" brewday batch ( I hope that is good :)).  I plan ot only let it sit on the dry hops till Wednesday then move it over to the serving keg and hit it with some CO2. 

Started out life at 1.050

34339399776_6cda6d688d_c.jpg

and a bad picture outside

34380639615_5ec621928a_c.jpg

#59 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:26 AM

Indicated it tasted like a "normal" brewday batch ( I hope that is good :)). 

:lol:

I know the feeling.

#60 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:14 AM

So, to conclude test #1, I dumped the keg on Saturday.  The beer going into the brite tank was great but the beer that went to the serving keg was not.  I feel it was the whole leaf citra and simcoe I used.  One of those batches is bad and I threw them both out.

I plan to try the experiment again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users