63 replies to this topic

#61 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:48 AM

So, to conclude test #1, I dumped the keg on Saturday.  The beer going into the brite tank was great but the beer that went to the serving keg was not.  I feel it was the whole leaf citra and simcoe I used.  One of those batches is bad and I threw them both out.

I plan to try the experiment again.

Wow, that's wild. I'm going to assume you're calling it a complete coincidence that "bad hops" got in the way of the no-boil experiment. I have had late and/or dry hops give a beer that vegetal, stinky gym sock character... some worse than others and some where I just muscle through the keg and hope no one else drinks it and others get sent to the sewer system. Vibes on your batch.

#62 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:55 AM

Wow, that's wild. I'm going to assume you're calling it a complete coincidence that "bad hops" got in the way of the no-boil experiment. I have had late and/or dry hops give a beer that vegetal, stinky gym sock character... some worse than others and some where I just muscle through the keg and hope no one else drinks it and others get sent to the sewer system. Vibes on your batch.

yes, i blame the hops. I have had this same off flavor before in a beer these hops were used in, at that time I thought it was just a bad beer. I do not fault the no-boil and instead the hops.  the beer was really good going into the brite tank.  This was a vegital, metalic harshness.  It was not at all present before the dry hop.

Edited by drez77, 15 May 2017 - 07:55 AM.

#63 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

yes, i blame the hops. I have had this same off flavor before in a beer these hops were used in, at that time I thought it was just a bad beer. I do not fault the no-boil and instead the hops.  the beer was really good going into the brite tank.  This was a vegital, metalic harshness.  It was not at all present before the dry hop.

Damn. That seems to point pretty clearly to the hops then. I seem to remember having a little more of that "questionable hop action" when I tried leaf hops years ago. I don't want to suggest that leaf hops always do this but in my experience, I seemed to have vegetal, stinky gym sock character with late leaf hops. Now I have also had that issue with pellets, no question... but it's been less. It seems like pellets store longer and in less space, are easier to measure, etc. and on almost every brewery tour I've ever taken, the hops were in pellet form so I went back to pellets and stayed there. Good luck on the next one... it will be better.

#64 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:45 AM

well that's too bad this experiment maybe didn't tell us too much.  there's always next time - thanks for the attempt drez :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users