Photo
- - - - -

Making my first starter in over 6 months tomorrow.....

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:20 PM

and it's probably been over a year since I smacked a pack.

#2 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:28 PM

No time like the present.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

No time like the present.

Broke the nutrient pack first try - still got it.  B)

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

I really don't like making them but I understand that it's necessary. I have a pack of Omega Bayern Lager that's pretty old now... June or July of last year. No nutrient pack in there so I need to make a starter for it and be patient with it. DJ... what yeast strain did you smack?

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

I really don't like making them but I understand that it's necessary. I have a pack of Omega Bayern Lager that's pretty old now... June or July of last year. No nutrient pack in there so I need to make a starter for it and be patient with it. DJ... what yeast strain did you smack?

Oddly the Omega starter I made this weekend smells sour and has a weird "oil slick" like thing on top. Think it is a dumper and made me think of your bad blonde.

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

Broke the nutrient pack first try - still got it.   B)

It's all in the wrist.  :D

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

Oddly the Omega starter I made this weekend smells sour and has a weird "oil slick" like thing on top. Think it is a dumper and made me think of your bad blonde.

Really? What strain? I'll tell you what... I was already kind of suspicious about that last one but I declared that whole issue my fault and quickly bought another pack of OYL004 for ales. But I really hope this Bayern Lager plays well because I want to make some good beer with it.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

With a pack of lager yeast that old, how many times will you step up the starter?

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:42 AM

Really? What strain? I'll tell you what... I was already kind of suspicious about that last one but I declared that whole issue my fault and quickly bought another pack of OYL004 for ales. But I really hope this Bayern Lager plays well because I want to make some good beer with it.

OYL-045 - New Jersey Ale

This was it this morning.

17553843_10156176675229657_8255138399944

17621991_10156176674864657_2167057013118

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:08 AM

This is your starter? What is the green?

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:12 AM

This is your starter? What is the green?

Yes, a plastic plate that the flask was on.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:31 AM

With a pack of lager yeast that old, how many times will you step up the starter?

I'm sure this is grounds for dismissal but I don't step up starters. In fact, it wasn't until a few years ago that I started making larger (to me), 2L starters. I used to make 650ml starters with ¼ cup of DME and my lagers were great with those starters. Eventually I went to 7 ounces of DME and 2 liters of water in a larger flask (that I got from Schwanz). So if I made a starter like that for this yeast and the starter smelled good and looked active, I might let it settle out and decant some or even pitch the entire thing into 5 gallons of fresh wort. If there is even the slightest indication that this yeast is not going to make stellar beer then I have some 2308 that is also waiting.

#13 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1952 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

Once I started adding fermcap when preparing my starters and got a foam stopper for my flask, starters are so easy I use one almost every time now.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

Got it spinning a while ago.  My notes for a no sparge AG starter are nowhere to be found.  The last few times I did it I mashed for 20 and did my usual 7 minute boil.  It really didn't take much longer than extract.  I need to figure that one out again before I run out of DME.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users