Photo
- - - - -

Extract Brewing plan/experiment... Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111795 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

So, I'm going to be switching to all grain later this year, but for now I picked up a few extract kits from northern brewer hella cheap. So I'm going to brew those three at least and then probably switch.

Anyway, I'm thinking about experimenting a bit with my technique, wondering what you guys think. I don't have extra hops so I won't be shortening the boil, but I'm thinking about doing something like this, mostly in the interests of improving flavor, not necessarily saving time...

1. Bring about 6 gallons of water to a boil.
2. Take out a gallon of that, set aside but keep it hot
3. Add my hops to the boiling water as scheduled throughout the boil.
4. Take a quart of hot water and steep the specialty grains in it.
5. To the gallon of water I removed earlier, add my extract and stir until it's as dissolved as I can get it. (The kits have a combination of LME and DME).
6. When the boil is finished, flame out, add the steeped grain water and the extract gallon to the kettle and stir it in.
7. Chill and ferment as usual.

Thoughts?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

I'd think you'd need more than a quart of hot water for steeping the grains.  probably more like 2 or 3 quarts.

but in any case - why not add the steeping grain liquid into the wort after about 30 mins?

I think adding the dissolved extract at flameout or right before flameout sounds like a good idea.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

That seems like a lot of extra work.  I agree with the Morty.  I would add the steeping grains half way through and the extract in the last 5 minutes.  I think adding the extract late will provided a big flavor improvement.

#4 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111795 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

I think what I'll do is go through the boil as usual, then at the end, pull some water from the kettle spigot to dissolve the extract in and put it back in.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

I think what I'll do is go through the boil as usual, then at the end, pull some water from the kettle spigot to dissolve the extract in and put it back in.

What is the advantage of doing that?

#6 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111795 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

So, this is kinda cool... We have an electric stove out in the garage and I set my kettle on there across two burners to preheat while I got stuff ready, figuring I would move it over to the propane burner to finish bringing it to a boil.

Went out there to do so, and all 6 gallons of water was already boiling, vigorously....

What is the advantage of doing that?

I feel like dissolving the extract in some water first just seems easier than trying to pour out 6lbs of LME right into the kettle. I always find it to be kind of a pain.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

I feel like dissolving the extract in some water first just seems easier than trying to pour out 6lbs of LME right into the kettle. I always find it to be kind of a pain.

I agree.  If the burner is on when you add it in it seems to reduce scorching as well.  also in the case of DME it keeps it from foaming like crazy.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

Maybe it's been too long since I brewed that way. You have to pour 6# of LME into something, why is the bigger kettle more difficult?

#9 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

I read this and it seems like you're going around your elbow to get to your ear.   I might be missing something, though.

#10 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10726 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

are you going to just boil the hops in water for an hour and add the disolved extract at the end?

I've seen recommendations for adding 1/2 the extract at boil start and 1/2 late in the boil (5-15 min) just to sanitize it. You appear to be adding all of the extract at the end.

#11 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111795 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

are you going to just boil the hops in water for an hour and add the disolved extract at the end?

I've seen recommendations for adding 1/2 the extract at boil start and 1/2 late in the boil (5-15 min) just to sanitize it. You appear to be adding all of the extract at the end.

Yep, I added all the extract at the end. Added the steeped grain liquid at the halfway mark.

Turned out to be one of the easiest and smoothest brew days ever. Hopefully the beer is good :)

I agree. If the burner is on when you add it in it seems to reduce scorching as well. also in the case of DME it keeps it from foaming like crazy.

Yeah, this is how it was. Even if I turn off the flame and remove the kettle from the burner before adding extract it seems like I always end up with some scorched onto the bottom of the kettle. That didn't happen this time....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users