positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:19 AM

I like it just fine.  :devil:

but really - I never got any peach or apricot or whatever flavors people say they get out of it.  maybe it's b/c I don't rehydrate it?  maybe it's my pitching rate?  ferm temp?  ferm temp ramp profile?  maybe it interacts with certain hops I don't commonly use?

#2 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:27 AM

I've had US-05 throw peach when fermented under 60°F; not a terrible amount, but enough to notice.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:29 AM

Comparison with WLP001

https://brulosophy.c...riment-results/

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

I've had US-05 throw peach when fermented under 60°F; not a terrible amount, but enough to notice.

I usually start it around 62-63F and ramp it up to 70F as things progress.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:52 AM

tasters seems somewhat split on preference.  have the igors tackled this one?

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:05 AM

I also  like it also and never seem to get the apricot, although sometimes I wish I did.  I always have plans to do a side by side with 001 or 1056 and never do.  Truthfully I have so many late hops in the S-05 beers I am sure they would cover any differences.

.  have the igors tackled this one?

I think just 001 and 1056. 

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:05 AM

this guy thought the diff was almost none: https://www.theelect...er=asc&&start=0

again, just another one off experiment (in this case 2 one off experiments with 2 diff beers).

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:49 AM

I also  like it also and never seem to get the apricot, although sometimes I wish I did.

For the NE beers you like to make, maybe try fermenting the 05 at room temperature. I like 05 well enough and keep it on hand always. When I was temperature challenged, I'd ferment at room temperature and definitely liked the flavor and aroma that yeast gave off. A warm ferment might suit your current style interest.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

I assumed I got that character because I tend to ferment cooler (low 60s) to get cleaner-tasting and less-estery beer. I don't think I ever used it <60° but low 60s. Who knows... maybe I never got it warmer and those esters would have burned off or been cleaned up if I had done that.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:52 AM

I assumed I got that character because I tend to ferment cooler (low 60s) to get cleaner-tasting and less-estery beer. I don't think I ever used it <60° but low 60s. Who knows... maybe I never got it warmer and those esters would have burned off or been cleaned up if I had done that.

I have always read it will throw the apricots at a lower temp. 

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:05 AM

Hmmm.....

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:31 AM

I have always read it will throw the apricots at a lower temp.

It makes sense because I'm typically on the low end and I know that a lot of other brewers will allow the temp to go a little higher and some people do not get the fruit. The one time I used it the fruit character was really pronounced in a blonde ale. People asked me about the process to introduce the fruit to the beer. :facepalm: No fruit. I think my preference would be to just not use it if fruitiness is a possibility because 1056 is not going to do that to me. I have used 1056 at 60° and it's just clean and neutral. In fact, in the case where I wanted a clean and neutral dry ale yeast... I would opt for S-04 and just keep in mind all of the things I mentioned in the other thread. It's neutral enough and it's biggest issue is the diacetyl which I can control as long as I know about it.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

I have gone away from fermenting ales on the cold side.  64-65 starting is about as cold as I will go now.  Not sure what started it even but just what I have noticed looking back over the last few years.

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

I like it just fine.  :devil:

but really - I never got any peach or apricot or whatever flavors people say they get out of it.  maybe it's b/c I don't rehydrate it?  maybe it's my pitching rate?  ferm temp?  ferm temp ramp profile?  maybe it interacts with certain hops I don't commonly use?

I don't rehydrate. I pitch at 63 and after 3-4 days raise to 70. I get peach mo matter what hops I use. I didn't notice it for a long time but once I did I can't unnotice it. I won't use it any more. I don't know whether it's usage that causes it or that some people are blind to it, like diacetyl.

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

tasters seems somewhat split on preference.  have the igors tackled this one?

We did 1056 vs. 001. Preference was for 1056. We haven't done it with 05, but taking Marshall's experiment and ours together should dispel the notion that all three are the same.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:29 AM

I don't rehydrate. I pitch at 63 and after 3-4 days raise to 70. I get peach mo matter what hops I use. I didn't notice it for a long time but once I did I can't unnotice it. I won't use it any more. I don't know whether it's usage that causes it or that some people are blind to it, like diacetyl.

Maybe I am blind to it.  I have had one person mention apricots ( the one I hear most with S-05) one time in all my brewing.  Granted, it is not as long as some but still a long enough time. The nice part is there are so many yeasts and they are so easy to get that it is easy to avoid for those that do not want it. 

I came back to 1450 maybe you will have an S-05 epiphany one day ..LOL :D

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

I must be blind to it too.  :-/

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

Maybe I am blind to it.  I have had one person mention apricots ( the one I hear most with S-05) one time in all my brewing.  Granted, it is not as long as some but still a long enough time. The nice part is there are so many yeasts and they are so easy to get that it is easy to avoid for those that do not want it. 

I came back to 1450 maybe you will have an S-05 epiphany one day ..LOL :D

Maybe, but I'm not holding my breath.  I can now taste the peach/apricot thing every time.  Although it would be interesting to try a beer that I didn't know used 05 to see if it's confirmation bias.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

Maybe, but I'm not holding my breath.  I can now taste the peach/apricot thing every time.  Although it would be interesting to try a beer that I didn't know used 05 to see if it's confirmation bias.

I was going to suggest that but I assumed that was done.  Just make it a citra beer and you will never notice it :)

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:16 PM

I was going to suggest that but I assumed that was done.  Just make it a citra beer and you will never notice it :)

one of my favorite beers I've made was all Citra and US-05

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users