#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:44 AM

so I think mic is going to be right - this will approach a classic pils but there will be a hint of "America" in the back ground.  no complaints at all, just a data point for those of you looking to try domestic hallertau.

the dry hopped keg of this is still quite cloudy but is getting clearer every time I pull some beer off.  I have not checked the non-dry hopped keg but I think I'll just leave that one alone for a while and drink it non-dry hopped later.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 14 April 2017 - 05:45 AM.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53914 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:30 AM

For awhile there I was playing with German hops that were a little off the map but "German"... not "American German". Hops like Tradition, Hallertau Select, Hallertau Blanc, Merkur, Opal and some others. They're off the map for a reason, generally. It turned out that Merkur was a high-alpha bittering hop that was fine and Tradition made a decent bittering hop but I used it late and didn't care for it. The best of the bunch may have been Hallertau Select which is described as having "a hoppy tang" (you don't say!) and I used it for flavor and aroma a few times with good results. I think it's also true that you could get any of these hops mentioned (including US Tett and Hallertau) and get good, fresh examples one time but not the next time. I've been burned by German Hallertau & Tettnanger too... stinky gym-sock thing. It's the price we pay for being pioneering beermakers. :D

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

For awhile there I was playing with German hops that were a little off the map but "German"... not "American German". Hops like Tradition, Hallertau Select, Hallertau Blanc, Merkur, Opal and some others. They're off the map for a reason, generally. It turned out that Merkur was a high-alpha bittering hop that was fine and Tradition made a decent bittering hop but I used it late and didn't care for it. The best of the bunch may have been Hallertau Select which is described as having "a hoppy tang" (you don't say!) and I used it for flavor and aroma a few times with good results. I think it's also true that you could get any of these hops mentioned (including US Tett and Hallertau) and get good, fresh examples one time but not the next time. I've been burned by German Hallertau & Tettnanger too... stinky gym-sock thing. It's the price we pay for being pioneering beermakers. :D

I actually bought these  hops not realizing right away that they were US and not GR.  I might not have risked it had I known but now that I have beer I don't really have any regrets :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users