9 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:52 AM

Sometimes I forget why they have been around so long.  I was at a party this weekend and had a SNPA, have not had one for a long time and it was a nice change from the "New School" versions of pale ales.  Think it is time to throw something on the brew schedule that fits the mold of SNPA.  Some god old C- hops, a bit of C-60 and good old Chico!

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:20 AM

word up.  did you make that no boil pale ale?  :D

#3 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:40 AM

Just picked up a six pack SNPA after work today; its a beer that finds its way in the fridge.

Speaking of the classics, Victory's Prima Pils is another beer that never gets old for me. Its sunny and pushing 70 degrees woth low humidity today. Its gonna be hard to go to bed by noon; today's weather is what i miss about working day shift.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

word up. did you make that no boil pale ale? :D

No boil in the fermenter!

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:35 AM

sweet!  how long was your brew day?

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:44 AM

sweet!  how long was your brew day?

1.5 hours I guess.  This was done yesterday after everyone left my house so I was not as prepared as I normally would be.

I did it BIAB and used 2oz of simcoe and 2oz of citra in the steep.  Since they were in bags I decided to pull them out and drop them in the fermetner. 

Ended up with a bit better than expected efficiency too.  77% instead of my normal 70%.  The Boiled version will be going Tuesday night.  Curious to see how my efficiency on that one is.

This was after about 12 hours at 64*.  It is going to be hazy!

18033081_10156251628659657_5794233105364

Edited by drez77, 17 April 2017 - 06:08 AM.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:12 AM

1.5 hours I guess.  This was done yesterday after everyone left my house so I was not as prepared as I normally would be.

I did it BIAB and used 2oz of simcoe and 2oz of citra in the steep.  Since they were in bags I decided to pull them out and drop them in the fermetner. 

Ended up with a bit better than expected efficiency too.  77% instead of my normal 70%.  The Boiled version will be going Tuesday night.  Curious to see how my efficiency on that one is.

This was after about 12 hours at 64*.  It is going to be hazy!

18033081_10156251628659657_5794233105364

has anyone that has done this noticed if there are any long term stability issues?  like does it oxidize faster or anything?

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:27 AM

has anyone that has done this noticed if there are any long term stability issues?  like does it oxidize faster or anything?

good question.  I did add Brewtan so I am not sure if that would help on that front or not.  For me a beer like this would not be one to hang out for a long time on the taps.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:34 AM

good question.  I did add Brewtan so I am not sure if that would help on that front or not.  For me a beer like this would not be one to hang out for a long time on the taps.

right - it might protect you from any issues that might arise from not performing a boil.

#10 Rattfink

Rattfink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIn a knife fight with a gypsy.

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:02 PM

Sometimes I forget why they have been around so long.  I was at a party this weekend and had a SNPA, have not had one for a long time and it was a nice change from the "New School" versions of pale ales.  Think it is time to throw something on the brew schedule that fits the mold of SNPA.  Some god old C- hops, a bit of C-60 and good old Chico!

Agreed! No that Founder's has discontinued their original Pale Ale (IMO, their best beer) SNPA is my go to for the style. 

I rather dislike the "Session IPAs". They have no balance. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users