#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

29 oz to be exact.  what do do?  I don't think I've ever made anything that used a lot of it.

JKor or drez, you guys need any?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 21 April 2017 - 09:28 AM.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

could mt hood work in a hoppy wheat beer in conjunction with some other hops?  I've got some wheat I should use up and I've got a couple of packets of US-05.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

That is a lot of MT hood!  I think I have half a pound that I planned to try MLPA again with. That beer NEVER works out for me.

could mt hood work in a hoppy wheat beer in conjunction with some other hops?  I've got some wheat I should use up and I've got a couple of packets of US-05.

How about a wheat lager?  Use some 34/70 and call it good

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

Mt. Hood can be used for anything... bittering, flavor, aroma, etc. Great hop.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:31 AM

Mt. Hood can be used for anything... bittering, flavor, aroma, etc. Great hop.

but can I use it in large amounts in anything good or is it not really for that purpose?  if it was cent or something like that I wouldn't be asking b/c I don't mind really loading a beer up with a hop like that.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:36 AM

You could use it in anything. It's very clean... meaning it's not fruity, woodsy, etc. Maybe it has a smidge of woodiness but it's really a very versatile hop. You could make a pale ale or amber ale... 1-2 ounces for bittering depending on AA%, more at 20, 15, 10, 5, WP, dry hop, etc. How on Earth did you end up with so much?

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

You could use it in anything. It's very clean... meaning it's not fruity, woodsy, etc. Maybe it has a smidge of woodiness but it's really a very versatile hop. You could make a pale ale or amber ale... 1-2 ounces for bittering depending on AA%, more at 20, 15, 10, 5, WP, dry hop, etc. How on Earth did you end up with so much?

must have been on sale :lol:

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

I consider it an "American Noble". Similar hops mentioned: Liberty, Crystal, Hallertau. I would have no issues in using them in a wide variety of styles including but not restricted to Blonde Ales, Pale Ales, IPAs, Red Ales and Lagers, Amber Ales and Lagers and even a Vienna, Dunkel, Festbier or bock. Some people say that they like them better than German hops for a German style application so a pilsner or helles are not out of the question either. When I mention "clean" US hops, I often mention Mt. Hood along with Liberty, Crystal, Glacier, US Goldings, Santiam, Ultra and Vanguard.

From YCH hops: Bred in 1983 and released from the USDA breeding program in Oregon in 1989, Mt. Hood is a triploid aroma type cultivar with similarities to German Hallertau and German Hersbrucker. It is tolerant to downy mildew with good pickability of medium size, compact cones. Mt. Hood is named after the famous Oregon volcano.

Aroma: Specific aroma descriptors include herbal, pungent and spicy.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:12 PM

Make Denny's RIPA. Or, if you want to know what it is like alone pick up a fresh bottle of Great Lakes Brewing Dortmunder Gold. IIRC it is all Mt. Hood for flavor. A nice beer if you can get it fresh.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:39 PM

As with anything else, take some (pellets?) and crush them and take a big whiff to get a feel for how they are. Since they're derived from Hallertau and Hersbrucker but grown in the US, don't let that fool you into thinking that they're subpar Hallertau hops... they're not. They have a great character to them.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:08 PM

Make Denny's RIPA. Or, if you want to know what it is like alone pick up a fresh bottle of Great Lakes Brewing Dortmunder Gold. IIRC it is all Mt. Hood for flavor. A nice beer if you can get it fresh.

that's probably the main reason I bought them but I've been side tracked from making that beer a bunch of times (I think I've made it 3 or 4 times).

obviously they work okay with columbus.  how about mosaic or amarillo?

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

that's probably the main reason I bought them but I've been side tracked from making that beer a bunch of times (I think I've made it 3 or 4 times).

obviously they work okay with columbus.  how about mosaic or amarillo?

Someone who was a "clean hop" fan might say that you're ruining the Mt. Hood character by covering it up with Mosaic or Amarillo. They would absolutely work fine with those hops and they would add hopiness but might water down the fruitiness of those hops. I remember once saying that I was going to bitter beer with Mt. Hood and then add more Mt. Hood later and then finish with Cascade and a few people bristled saying, "Why would you ruin the great character of the Mt. Hood by covering it with Cascade!?". :D I think you could do that and still have plenty of Mt. Hood leftover to use by itself in a beer if you wanted to get a better feel for their character.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:15 PM

Someone who was a "clean hop" fan might say that you're ruining the Mt. Hood character by covering it up with Mosaic or Amarillo. They would absolutely work fine with those hops and they would add hopiness but might water down the fruitiness of those hops. I remember once saying that I was going to bitter beer with Mt. Hood and then add more Mt. Hood later and then finish with Cascade and a few people bristled saying, "Why would you ruin the great character of the Mt. Hood by covering it with Cascade!?". :D I think you could do that and still have plenty of Mt. Hood leftover to use by itself in a beer if you wanted to get a better feel for their character.

it would be interesting to hear what denny's thought process was for his RIPA.   columbus is def an assertive hop to pair the mt hood with.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

it would be interesting to hear what denny's thought process was for his RIPA.   columbus is def an assertive hop to pair the mt hood with.

I agree but I think that you could use 'clean' hops along with hops that were assertive in other ways (fruity, woody, minty, whatever) because the clean hops should just blend with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users