5 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:16 AM

I got an email from BeverageFactory yesterday with some new stuff I hadn't seen before. I'm not really into this but I know that some of you are. LINK. I remember Brauer asking me if I saw kegs brought out in Munich taverns where the spigot is hammered into place, etc. (I did not actually see that) but it reminds me of this equipment. Cheers.

#2 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

Been doing Pins (5gal) for a while now.  Great for low APV beers.  Look up my Dark Mild recipe in the recipe section.  3.2%.  We put that in a pin for our Oyster Roast at the Domras Cup.  Have done a Lemongrass Wit too.  At NHC Philly we served 4 Firkins.  Great for parties and picnics.

#3 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the link. Its in the pipeline to have a pin set up with a beer engine for the taproom; its a pipe dream at this point. The start up cost sets mr back to reality. :)

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for the link. Its in the pipeline to have a pin set up with a beer engine for the taproom; its a pipe dream at this point. The start up cost sets mr back to reality. :)

I hear you.  Several times I have pondered a Beer Engine and then just pull myself back to reality asking how often I would use it.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:13 AM

I hear you.  Several times I have pondered a Beer Engine and then just pull myself back to reality asking how often I would use it.

I think a lot of these toys are a little pricey. I was at my local on Sunday just to get a couple of CO2 tanks refilled and while I waited there was a shiny & new aluminum keg near the front counter. I picked it up, looked at the construction, etc. and saw that it was $147. The guy came back out from the back and said, "Oh those new kegs, right?! Aren't they awesome!?" and I commented about how they look nothing like my kegs but that no one ever saw my kegs anyway. :P I would like to go to another homebrewer's house for a gathering and see one of these pin/cask things in action. That would probably be enough for me because I've never really entertained the idea of having one.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

I enjoy using my pin, a lot. I've done low abv stuff exclusively in it and serve via gravity. It would be great to serve from one for a party but I've never been able to time it that well. If I ever did some sort of bar build or remodel I would have to seriously consider a beer engine. But until then it's just too much money for me to tie up in an occasional serving device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users