Photo
- - - - -

vessels for transporting/serving homebrew?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

Is there anything I've missed out on lately?  Sometimes people want me to bring kegs to a party but I hate doing it for a few reasons:

1) 5 gal can be a lot of one beer to drink.  most people don't want to drink the same beer the whole time so unless it's a really big party 5 gal is a bit much.

2) 5 gal corny + CO2 tank + regulator + hoses is annoying to bring.  I also have to get the 5lb CO2 tank out of my keggerator where it otherwise lives all the time.

3) transporting the corny keg usually means some yeast/crud at the bottom of the keg gets stirred up.

so really I'd like something in the 2-3 gal range that's pretty easy to clean, transport and serve from.  anything out there?

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

mini kegs, party pigs, multiple growlers, 2 gallon cornies

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

Small corny kegs + cooler + paintball tank = happy me!

10399448_10153136599964657_6647430209298

One option but the price is steep  httpss://www.morebeer.com/products/torpedo-keg-party-bomb.html?variant=KEG411A&gclid=CjwKEAjw3KDIBRCz0KvZlJ7k4TgSJABDqOK70K9Du0lE49EkuovQEZRUuyD9DswH2bZzLy5YK2-roBoCAibw_wcB

#4 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

I always wanted to build one of those roller cube coolers with the tap, 2.5 gallon keg and co2 hook up.

edit: yes, exactly that :)

Edited by ChicagoWaterGuy, 02 May 2017 - 09:58 AM.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

For the amount of time that I do it, I don't find it to be too much work to bring a 5-gallon keg, tank and cobra tap. I have brought them to parties and also put a setup out on the back patio to make it easier for people to get beer instead of going to the taps in the basement. Yes, the keg can get stirred up but every time I tap a glass of yeasty beer and dump it in the grass, the following beers are clear. Smaller kegs are expensive so it's either 5-gallon kegs or growlers.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:02 AM

I always wanted to build one of those roller cube coolers with the tap, 2.5 gallon keg and co2 hook up.

edit: yes, exactly that :)

This one has 2-3g kegs and works nicely...

#7 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

This one has 2-3g kegs and works nicely...

Definitely kick ass!

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:27 AM

I reckon that buying a few corny kegs, cooler, tank could cost the same as the party bomb but then again the party bomb has a much lower capacity :P

Edited by Evil_Morty, 02 May 2017 - 11:27 AM.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

I reckon that buying a few corny kegs, cooler, tank could cost the same as the party bomb but then again the party bomb has a much lower capacity :P

Not if  you shop around :)  I picked up 2-3g kegs for 20 each once at a tag sale.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

Not if  you shop around :)  I picked up 2-3g kegs for 20 each once at a tag sale.

we can't all be that lucky!

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:42 AM

unfortunately people get caught up on the "drinking beer on draft/tap" thing.  kind of a hassle compared to filling a few growlers.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

unfortunately people get caught up on the "drinking beer on draft/tap" thing.  kind of a hassle compared to filling a few growlers.

I hate filling growlers. Not sure what it is but them and bottles.. UGH!!

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

I hate filling growlers. Not sure what it is but them and bottles.. UGH!!

I hear ya.  drinking at home is best :D

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

I hate filling growlers because the beer always seems to change slightly between home and where I take it. Hoppy beers even more so.

#15 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

I had a shiznit similar to drez's.  Filled up it was kind of heavy and awkward to get in the car.  I always jumped kegs to move off the sputz.  I got tired of dealing with it and sold it.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

I hate filling growlers because the beer always seems to change slightly between home and where I take it. Hoppy beers even more so.

it does a little but I've had pretty good luck using a 2L with the carbonator cap on it.

#17 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

I usually transport a keg 1-2X per year. Here's what works for me. I plan ahead to allow the beer to settle then draw off the crap at the bottom and dump it. Then I unhook the CO2 and swirl the keg and allow it to settle some more with the CO2 unhooked then draw the crap off again. If you leave the gas hooked, the beer will push into the regulator as it comes out of solution. 3X if time allows and  then you don't have to rack to another keg--which I Fracking hate. Seriously, I'd rather take a nut shot than rack to another keg.

I lucked into one of the Leland mini regulators like is shown in that Morebeer link above for $6 and use paintball CO2 disposable cylinders with a mini inline HEPA filter to be super safe. If I had to buy a new one I'd prolly buy one of those cheapos that use a CO2 BB gun cartridge.

If taking 1 keg I'll put it in a 5 gal Gott style cooler and leave the lid off, dump ice around the keg and add as needed. Works fine and the beer stays cold AF. You can also just use a 5-6 gal fermenter bucket. The cold beer is at the bottom being drawn out of the dip tube and so is the ice.

Here's my CO2 setup. I split it with a plastic vacuum T bought at the auto parts store so I can push multiple kegs as necessary. Capped off with vacuum caps and zip ties.

wIod8D6.jpg

Edited by Steve Urquell, 02 May 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#18 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10730 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

I use a carb cap on 2 liter soda bottles. Once carbed I replace the original cap. Easy peasy transport and I don't have to worry about getting my stuff back or getting it damaged.

#19 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

I haven't done it myself but have had nice pours from those corny DQs that have no line, just a tap.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

I am confused why some hate to rack to another keg.  I do it for almost all my beers and for me it is not that much work.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users