30 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:41 AM

Czech Pale Lager has piqued my interest and wondering what liquid stains you like for these beers.  I see from some research that White Labs 800, 802 along with Wyeast 2000,2001,2007 and 2278 are the yeast that seem to be the recommended ones but wondering if any of these are stand outs.

#2 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:28 AM

I like 2278from that list. Haven't used 2201 in so long I can't remember it. You can't go wrong with 2124 either.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:31 AM

I like 2278from that list. Haven't used 2201 in so long I can't remember it. You can't go wrong with 2124 either.

Thanks, any others that are not on that list you would recommend?  34/70 was brought up on the Beersmith podcast I was listening two with the Brewer/owner of Notch brewing in Salem.  They are big on session beers specifically session Czech beers.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53983 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:32 AM

2124 is called "Bohemian" so I consider it Czech but people compare it to 830 which is German. 2278 creates a crisp, clear beer. It flocs well and has a great character. Either 2000 or 2001 (one is Budvar and one is Urquell... can't remember which) is not available anymore. When they cut out some strains recently, I thought one of those was a victim of cutbacks. 2007 is American, right? Isn't that the "St. Louis" yeast? It's very bland. I really like 2278, 2124, 2000 and 2001 on the list but not sure which are still around. 2782 Staro was a temporary strain and was fantastic. If you ever see it released again, grab a couple of packets of it... really nice Czech lager yeast.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:39 AM

2124 is called "Bohemian" so I consider it Czech but people compare it to 830 which is German. 2278 creates a crisp, clear beer. It flocs well and has a great character. Either 2000 or 2001 (one is Budvar and one is Urquell... can't remember which) is not available anymore. When they cut out some strains recently, I thought one of those was a victim of cutbacks. 2007 is American, right? Isn't that the "St. Louis" yeast? It's very bland. I really like 2278, 2124, 2000 and 2001 on the list but not sure which are still around. 2782 Staro was a temporary strain and was fantastic. If you ever see it released again, grab a couple of packets of it... really nice Czech lager yeast.

Thanks for that.  I also found it interesting on that podcast he mentioned Augustiner yeast.

Not sure if you have used 34/70 but I am curious if there are vast differences between that and 2124.  Maybe there was an exbeeriment on those, I will have to look.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16632 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

Thanks for that.  I also found it interesting on that podcast he mentioned Augustiner yeast.

Not sure if you have used 34/70 but I am curious if there are vast differences between that and 2124.  Maybe there was an exbeeriment on those, I will have to look.

Omega Yeast Bayern Lager 

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:01 AM

Omega Yeast Bayern Lager 

yup!  got that in my cart!

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53983 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:33 AM

The Augustiner yeast was also released by Wyeast as 2352. It's OUTRAGEOUSLY good and I could actually see it as a Czech yeast because the first time I used it I got a whiff of 2124 in there somewhere. I used it in a helles, a dunkel and some other styles and it made some very good beer. I have a pack of the Omega Bayern lager yeast in my fridge and it's the next lager yeast up here... I plan to get a 2L starter going for it soon.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:44 AM

Any input on Sterling hops?  I have seen that recommended as a twist on the Saaz.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53983 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

I used to use Sterling quite a bit. They're actually one of the "clean American hops" that belong on the list that I usually refer to. They have a certain distinct character to them that's hard to describe... sort of metallic or something. I know that doesn't sound appetizing but they're a nice hop, for sure. I haven't used them in years. I have never heard of anyone using them in a Czech Lager/Pilsner but I could see it. It's possible that you might get fresher Sterling than Saaz. I could easily see Crystal or Santiam as well.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:51 AM

I used to use Sterling quite a bit. They're actually one of the "clean American hops" that belong on the list that I usually refer to. They have a certain distinct character to them that's hard to describe... sort of metallic or something. I know that doesn't sound appetizing but they're a nice hop, for sure. I haven't used them in years. I have never heard of anyone using them in a Czech Lager/Pilsner but I could see it. It's possible that you might get fresher Sterling than Saaz. I could easily see Crystal or Santiam as well.

Mentioned in here https://beersmith.co...th-podcast-113/ and a few other locations I have seen.  One of the reasons was that Saaz seems to not be as stable long term?  I have 4oz of both in my Farmhouse cart, just have to decide if I order there or Rite.  All comes down to the Bayern yeast...

#12 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

I've used Sterling in Czech Pilsner. I liked them a lot. Similar to Saaz, but not a direct replacement. The ones I tried were more floral than Saaz, with a spicy finish.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53983 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:02 AM

I've used Sterling in Czech Pilsner. I liked them a lot. Similar to Saaz, but not a direct replacement. The ones I tried were more floral than Saaz, with a spicy finish.

Spicy is a good description. There is something unique about Sterling and I wish I had a better feel for it. From teh Google machine:

aroma profile: Floral, Citrus, Spicy, Herbal

Bred in 1990 and released in 1998, Sterling is an aroma variety with noble hop characteristics. It shows moderate tolerance to powdery mildew and has good pickability of compact cones.
Aroma: Specific aroma descriptors include noble and spicy.

I might add "complex" to the list of descriptors but the bottom line is that I could see them in a Czech Lager and you might be right on in terms of stability and freshness.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16632 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:38 AM

IIRC Saaz was the hop they were targeting when breeding Sterling.

Also, I read an article recently where Mitch Steele said Sterling was killer blended in an IPA.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:32 AM

While not in the recipe section it is my thread and I plan to go there :)

Trying to come up with the hops amounts, would this be out of line?

Magnum - 30m - 21 IBU

Saaz -15M, 5M and 0M - 1 oz each addition.

OG would be about 1.044 and the IBU total would be 29-30.

Thinking of maybe trying this over the weekend.  If my yeast order does not come in for that I do have some 34/70 or MJ Bo Pils I could use.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53983 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

It does not seem out of line but I'd like to see the grain bill so I know what the hops will be paired with. On Czech beers, I tend to make them a little maltier and robust... some Vienna or Munich or even Pale Ale malt to give it some depth.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:02 AM

It does not seem out of line but I'd like to see the grain bill so I know what the hops will be paired with. On Czech beers, I tend to make them a little maltier and robust... some Vienna or Munich or even Pale Ale malt to give it some depth.

Soooo, on that I was just going by what I found in the BYO article.

87% Pils

5% Caravienne

5% Wheat

4% Acid Malt

On the podcast Carafoam and Carahell were both mentioned, I do not have either on hand.

Again, Not tied to this in any way just going by what I found since I have no experience with this style.

#18 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

I'd delete the wheat and add a couple lbs of vienna on that grain bill. No need for carared if using caravienne. Carared is 17l crystal, I think caravienne is 20 something. 34/70 on second gen tastes more like first gen 2124 to me.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

I'd delete the wheat and add a couple lbs of vienna on that grain bill. No need for carared if using caravienne. Carared is 17l crystal, I think caravienne is 20 something. 34/70 on second gen tastes more like first gen 2124 to me.

I was confused at the wheat  myself, seemed out of place.  Caravienne is 20, at least the stuff I have.  Any thought on the hops I posted?

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53983 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:31 AM

I'd delete the wheat and add a couple lbs of vienna on that grain bill.

Exactly my thinking.

Chil's is probably better to make a call on the hops but they look good to me. This is a beer that I would make. I would probably do a grain bill of pils and Vienna (or maybe Munich 1) and then maybe 4 ounces of CaraPils, CaraFoam or CaraHell and then I would skip the caravienne and I would not do wheat or acid malt... lactic acid is my choice for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users