Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

Any thought on the hops I posted?

OK, now that I have a little more time(in between patients having seizures and collapsing on me--2X today) I can talk a little more.

I haven't tried sterling so have no input on how it may be. I had a stint where I tried using US ingredients and was never happy with the results. After switching to Saaz and German or CZ malt I have been much happier and feel it's worth the money considering the time spent brewing.

I do like leaf over pellets and usually buy them when hopsdirect gets them in stock. I mash the wort out of them into the fermenter and so avoid the losses involved in them soaking up wort. I have had enough lame duck nobles from farmhouse to know I won't use them again--they haven't been worth brewing with IMHO. I think their supplier doesn't use a cooled die when forming and heats the flavor out of them.

You can't go wrong heavily hopping a Czech gold lager (Svetly). Keep in mind that we get CZ beer oxidized, aged, and shaken up from their voyage. Plus nobles don't present like US C-hops and won't punch you in the cocksucker if you are heavy handed. I typically hop my CZ Svetlys at APA to IPA rates. My latest 7 gal batch had 6ozs of Saaz from 15-0 mins. "Heavily hopped" is a common descriptor of Svetly so amp that bitch up.

Don't be afraid to go outside the box on one of these. CZ small brew pub owners all have their own take on Svetly just like US brewers. They don't think in terms of BJCP and style guidelines.

I would probably use the W-34 on this one. It is always good. MJ may or may not piss you off severely and takes forever to start, ferment, and flocc. Think of it as the Ringwood of lager yeasts. I'd hate for you to hate me if it turned out like crap lol.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

That sounds like a shitty work day but thanks for all that input. It was worth the wait and has me thinking it is better to get the appropriate ingredients and not rush into this one. I know remember your issues with FHB hops and just because of that I will look at other suppliers.

Really, lots of great info in there for me. I think this is a style I can really enjoy and want to do it right.

#23 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

That sounds like a shitty work day but thanks for all that input. It was worth the wait and has me thinking it is better to get the appropriate ingredients and not rush into this one. I know remember your issues with FHB hops and just because of that I will look at other suppliers.

Really, lots of great info in there for me. I think this is a style I can really enjoy and want to do it right.

The reason I love CZ styles is that they are true beer enthusiasts and love the flavors I love. I try to keep this in mind when designing a recipe and shoot for: Malty, Hoppy, Smooth. Piece of cake.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:05 AM

The reason I love CZ styles is that they are true beer enthusiasts and love the flavors I love. I try to keep this in mind when designing a recipe and shoot for: Malty, Hoppy, Smooth. Piece of cake.

Yep, all true for me too. I don't know that I have met a Czech beer that I don't like. Being over there and drinking fresh examples of Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Budvar, Gambrinus, Czech "dunkels" at U Vejvodu, U Fleku and even at a Czech "craft" brewery called Pivovar U Tri Ruzi... these people know how to make beer and it all falls in line with my tastebuds. The trick is getting the right ingredients that are fresh and then applying everything you know to the process. If you can't get uber-fresh Saaz, no reason not to sub with something fresh and similar... it might make all the difference. It's all out there. Let us know how the beer comes out.

#25 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:44 PM

Yep, all true for me too. I don't know that I have met a Czech beer that I don't like. Being over there and drinking fresh examples of Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Budvar, Gambrinus, Czech "dunkels" at U Vejvodu, U Fleku and even at a Czech "craft" brewery called Pivovar U Tri Ruzi... these people know how to make beer and it all falls in line with my tastebuds. The trick is getting the right ingredients that are fresh and then applying everything you know to the process. If you can't get uber-fresh Saaz, no reason not to sub with something fresh and similar... it might make all the difference. It's all out there. Let us know how the beer comes out.

sterling makes fine Cz style beer 

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

Saaz and Sterling ordered... yeast ordered ... getting there!

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

Saaz and Sterling ordered... yeast ordered ... getting there!

Make sure you refer to this beer as Pivo. :D

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:40 AM

yeast and hops in the house.  One hoppy, hazy beer to get working on this weekend and then lager time!

18489649_10156364682459657_3596447445258

#29 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:43 AM

Nice! I highly suggest you let that beer sit at 70F for several days after fermentation. 2278 will leave acetaldehyde if it doesn't finish strong.

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:56 AM

Nice! I highly suggest you let that beer sit at 70F for several days after fermentation. 2278 will leave acetaldehyde if it doesn't finish strong.

Thanks, I will do that.  Never used the yeast and just figured I would pick up a couple to test out.  I now have 4 fresh lager strains so I better get brewing.

#31 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:01 AM

Thanks, I will do that.  Never used the yeast and just figured I would pick up a couple to test out.  I now have 4 fresh lager strains so I better get brewing.

Something else Drez. On my last Svetly I used more WP hops than boil hops and I don't like the results as well as I do when adding at 30min, 15 or 10min, and WP.

My next will go back to FWH, 30/10/WP.

BTW I don't believe FWH is any diff than 60min, it's just easy to throw the hops in the BK and helps prevent boil overs

Edited by Steve Urquell, 18 May 2017 - 05:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users