#21 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:02 AM

I didn't not want this amber ale to be citrusy, woody, etc.

Woody is one of the flavor descriptors I would use for Nugget.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:47 AM

I don't get that from Nugget. Northern Brewer, Simcoe and some others but if Nugget is woody it must be very slight or I don't pick it up. I get a great late hop character from Nugget and the kitchen smelled GREAT while I was measuring then out. Cheers.

#23 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

I get a great late hop character from Nugget and the kitchen smelled GREAT while I was measuring then out.

I also like it's late hop character, which I find to be woody/herbal/spicy. I'm sure that character varies by year and hop yard, and yours might well be different than mine.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

I also like it's late hop character, which I find to be woody/herbal/spicy. I'm sure that character varies by year and hop yard, and yours might well be different than mine.

I used to just bitter with them but I was making a beer one day and thought they would be nice when used as a late addition. It was a leap of faith but it was really nice. This is MORE late Nugget than I have used in the past but I have (had) a pound of these pellets at 14.6% so it's time to giddy up. Cheers.

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:01 AM

Drez: Do me a solid and post a recipe with my grain bill and your hop schedule. I'm sure I don't have the hops you do and I didn't not want this amber ale to be citrusy, woody, etc. I have a Citra-Amarillo pale ale and a Dark Citra Wheat beer coming up. Just pretend that you would use Nugget at 14.6% for ALL the late hops. What would you do? Also, what ppm levels would your sulfate and your chloride be?

Here is my take on it.  

18699312_10156381265109657_5439282693851

#26 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:12 AM

I have this slated for Monday. All late additions, hoping that all the greens play well together.

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal, Estimated OG: 1.056 SG, Estimated Color: 13.1 SRM, Estimated IBU: 29.6 IBUs, Boil Time: 40 Minutes

10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
1.0 oz Midnight Wheat (744.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Mosaic [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 15.8 IBUs
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 8.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 5.4 IBUs

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 25 May 2017 - 06:12 AM.

#27 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:30 AM

Sunday I made the above and it's strumming along with 05. Switched out the Cascade for Chinook. Batch smelled like some serious "sticky icky" going into the fermenter :) I may DH it for a few days to really burst the hops. Once I hit final gravity, I might add some more Chinook and maybe some more Mosaic depending on how much the initial charges came through. I want a clear beer though. That said, after DH'ing it, I can chill it down to clear any hop haze right?

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:44 AM

Chinook goes great in an amber.  I also like a little Columbus.

#29 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16491 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:45 AM

Mosaic, Amarillo, and Chinook will make for a very delicious combination IMO. Hope this comes out well for you.

#30 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

Mosaic, Amarillo, and Chinook will make for a very delicious combination IMO. Hope this comes out well for you.

I'm excited to try the combo. I wanted Columbus, thought I had some, didn't. First time I honestly envisioned what the combo would bring in terms of taste.

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

Here's how this thing turned out. It's delicious.

2u5eznk.jpg

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

how do you keep your grill so clean?  mine is so filthy looking and there barely a damn thing I can do about it.

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:18 PM

:lol: This is beer thread not a grill thread!

A microfiber cloth with some orange/citrus cleaner works well on the stainless.

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:37 AM

:lol: This is beer thread not a grill thread!

A microfiber cloth with some orange/citrus cleaner works well on the stainless.

I know but look how clean that thing is!  last time I got mine pretty clean I had to use barkeepers friend and even that couldn't fully get everything off.

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

I took the whole thing apart and used a pressure washer on everything about 3 weeks ago. I hit the grates, the flavorizer bars, the box, everything. Then I washed the outside of it like I would wash a car... hot soapy water. Then after some amount of time I just use some citrus cleaner on it and it stays relatively shiny. Remember too that I got this grill in September of 2014 so it should look good. That said, I use this thing year-round and it gets used A LOT. A lot.

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:26 AM

This keg is about to kick. One thing I notice is that the late Nugget I added were nice when the beer was young but they have faded quickly. This is more along the lines of an "American Pub Ale" now... less late hop character which is fine. But it's pretty... that's for sure.

t62oh3.jpg

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

So on the second run of this beer I ended up using the same grist but changed the hops. I bittered with Nugget again and then used Willamette, Mt. Hood, Glacier and Crystal in the last 15 minutes and then I dry-hopped in the primary with one ounce of Mt. Hood and an ounce of Northern Brewer for 5 days. I kegged that beer yesterday and when I popped that lid the hop aroma swam up my nostrils and lit a campfire! This will be a much different animal from the last one. It's kegged, chilled and gelled and is now carbing. I'll try to post a shot of it at some point.

#38 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68746 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

So on the second run of this beer I ended up using the same grist but changed the hops. I bittered with Nugget again and then used Willamette, Mt. Hood, Glacier and Crystal in the last 15 minutes and then I dry-hopped in the primary with one ounce of Mt. Hood and an ounce of Northern Brewer for 5 days. I kegged that beer yesterday and when I popped that lid the hop aroma swam up my nostrils and lit a campfire! This will be a much different animal from the last one. It's kegged, chilled and gelled and is now carbing. I'll try to post a shot of it at some point.

that's gonna be an earthy hop profile, sounds nice

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

This one has been on tap here now for a bit. 4 ounces of late hops and 2 ounces of dry hops in this American Amber Ale. Delish.

americanamberale2017.jpg

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:33 AM

I just drew up another version of this and it's similar to the last one I made... which was excellent. This will be the next beer made with 1469.

American Amber Ale

8.75 lbs Swaen Pale Ale Malt
4 ounces Thomas Fawcett & Sons Dark Crystal #2
4 ounces Special B
1 ounce Midnight Wheat
½ ounce Nugget pellets 14.6% for 30
1 ounce Styrian Goldings 4% for 15
1 ounce Crystal 3.3% for 10
1 ounce Glacier 6.3% for 5
1 ounce Styrian Goldings 4% for 1
2 ounces Crystal as a DH addition in the primary for 5 days
Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire

OG: 1.050, FG: 1.012, IBU: 42, SRM: 12-14, ABV: 4.8%

Mash at 150°, balanced water, BTB, etc. This may be straddling the American and British amber ale world a little bit but the final beer will be great, I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users