102 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

I'm going to try this over the weekend when I make this lager. For those who use a 30-minute boil, do you reduce the amount of water that you use because your evap rate is not as high? I typically mash with about 5 gallons of water and sparge with 3. About a gallon is absorbed by the grain, I boil off 1+ gallon in evap and then I end up with some amount of sludgy, hoppy schputz that gets tossed. Should I reduce the amount of sparge water I use by some amount?

Any other considerations for the 30m boil? Drez guarantees me that I will not suffer any clarity issues and we have a large monetary bet on the line so I hope he's right... or do I hope he's wrong? :P This batch will not require any other shenanigans like racking another beer from primary to keg, harvesting yeast, etc. so I don't think I'll have a scheduling problem. I adjusted the bittering addition to get the IBUs I want on this lager and then I planned a pale ale for the next run of 1056 where I'll do the same 30m boil and then we'll see how those beers come out. Cheers.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

Yes, I reduced the amount of water I to accommodate the lower boil off. I shoot for 6.75 gallons preboil. That gives me 6g at the end of the boil.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

When I have done it there was a little system efficiency hit.  I get a 1 hour 2 gallon boil off  for 13.5 preboil  - 11.5 gal post boil.  1 gallon boil off for a 30 minute boil works fine when I do it.  I don't sparge a much so a bit goodies get in the kettle.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

Okay, I'll knock down the sparge amount from 3 gallons to maybe 2 or 2.25ish. I'll report back on the shorter boil time. Cheers & thanks.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

I also have boiled more vigorously on the 30 minute boil beer experiments, than on a 60 or 90.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

I also have boiled more vigorously on the 30 minute boil beer experiments, than on a 60 or 90.

I have not.  I have made no change to boil intensity for these batches.  All my batches are set to 75% for my electric kettle.  No issues at all.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16610 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

I have not.  I have made no change to boil intensity for these batches.  All my batches are set to 75% for my electric kettle.  No issues at all.

Same here.

I would be hesitant to change both the boil length and intensity at the same time.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

I don't think I've consciously changed my boil rates but then again I don't have as fine tuned control as drez would.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

My plan was to boil at the same rate as usual which for me is typically "moderate". Sometimes I come out and things are really rocking and I turn it down but I don't want a super wimpy boil either.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16610 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:56 AM

I've seen arguments in favor of weaker boils but have never seen one for vigorous boiling. IIRC the low O2 folks were pushing for soft boils/low boil-off including keeping the lid on until the end of a 60 min boil.

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:59 AM

I've seen arguments in favor of weaker boils but have never seen one for vigorous boiling. IIRC the low O2 folks were pushing for soft boils/low boil-off including keeping the lid on until the end of a 60 min boil.

Just can't understand this for soup, stew, pasta, sauce and beer..... #boiloverguaranteed

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

In the early days the case for a vigorous boil was better break and better clarity. A weaker boil = cloudier beer. But with so many things being debunked these days I have no idea how accurate that really is.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

You'll obviously have to adjust your hops.  I found that for a 20 min. boil I have to add 50% more bitterng hops.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:55 PM

You'll obviously have to adjust your hops.  I found that for a 20 min. boil I have to add 50% more bitterng hops.

I let the calculation do the work for me.  just up those start of boil hops until you hit the IBUs you were looking for.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

I let the calculation do the work for me.  just up those start of boil hops until you hit the IBUs you were looking for.

same thing I do, this is where the calculators do their thing!

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

same thing I do, this is where the calculators do their thing!

Yes, I did that as well. It ended up being more hops but not a ton more. I'm using high-alpha hops (13%, almost 15%, etc) and I'm using more but I don't think it's double. I'm looking forward to these batches... not only MAKING the beer but also DRINKING it and seeing if the 30m boil makes any difference.

#17 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1964 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:05 PM

I'm looking forward to you doing this so I can hear how it goes.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:05 PM

I'm looking forward to you doing this so I can hear how it goes.

What, the rest of us are chopped liver 😀

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16610 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

What, the rest of us are chopped liver

Right? Jeesh...

#20 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1964 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

What, the rest of us are chopped liver

Right? Jeesh...

No, no... don't take offense boys... shag didn't mean to ignore you... *bad shag - spanks self*  :spank:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users