Bummer. Where did you move to?

#62 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

I might be brewing again late this afternoon or this evening... a Vienna Lager with the Augustiner yeast. My 19-yo son is home for the summer (who from this point forward will be referred to as "Sudsy McBeerintgon") has put a kink in my beer supply. I have told him that he can drink the beer as long as he's just staying at home and that he give me an idea of what he's drinking. Kegs are emptying faster than ever before. If it's not today then it will be Sunday.

#63 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

Bummer. Where did you move to?

just across town, but, ya know, fences to fix, trees to trim, etc..

#64 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

hoppy wheat beer seems like a success but it's not dry hopped yet.  seems light and refreshing.  still cloudy but I think it stands a chance of clearing up.  has a nice rich golden color as well.

#65 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:03 PM

hoppy wheat beer seems like a success but it's not dry hopped yet.  seems light and refreshing.  still cloudy but I think it stands a chance of clearing up.  has a nice rich golden color as well.

Good. I remember your other thread was HOPPY WHEAT... ANY PROBLEMS? No problems, apparently.

Okay, water filtered and grains weighed out. Vienna Lager about to be brewed here at the Mayfair Court Brewhouse!

#66 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

Good. I remember your other thread was HOPPY WHEAT... ANY PROBLEMS? No problems, apparently.

Okay, water filtered and grains weighed out. Vienna Lager about to be brewed here at the Mayfair Court Brewhouse!

no problems yet.  tasting carefully for peach flavors :lol:

one thing i will note:  is there a relationship between US-05 and wyeast 1007 (german ale)?  I get a similar flavor from both of them.  maybe it's in my head?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 30 June 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#67 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

no problems yet.  tasting carefully for peach flavors :lol:

one thing i will note:  is there a relationship between US-05 and wyeast 1007 (german ale)?  I get a similar flavor from both of them.  maybe it's in my head?

They aren't related and I've never gotten fruitiness out of 1007.

#68 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:48 PM

They aren't related and I've never gotten fruitiness out of 1007.

yeah - this isn't a fruit flavor.  maybe an ester?  i'm not an expert.

#69 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

No, US05 and 1007 don't intersect are far as my tastebuds are concerned. I have used US05 very rarely... 1007 more regularly but still not A LOT. 1007 does seem to have some sort of distant apple pie kind of thing. US05 hasn't always given me the apricot-peach thing but the time that it did... Hoo boy.

#70 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:40 AM

No, US05 and 1007 don't intersect are far as my tastebuds are concerned. I have used US05 very rarely... 1007 more regularly but still not A LOT. 1007 does seem to have some sort of distant apple pie kind of thing. US05 hasn't always given me the apricot-peach thing but the time that it did... Hoo boy.

In the past I've gotten a very slight melon flavor from 1007.

#71 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:46 AM

In the past I've gotten a very slight melon flavor from 1007.

When I open a pack of Wyeast (it could be 2124, 1007, 1968, etc), I seem to get a blast of super-fresh yeasty-but-slightly-fruity (a pie, some crust, bready but almost sweet) character. If you guys ever find me laid out somewhere unconscious, just hold an open pack of Wyeast under my nose... like smelling salts. :D

#72 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

this hoppy wheat is very clean now.  just needed a day to settle down.  still haven't tasted the dry hopped version - just my quick carbed 2L.

#73 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:31 PM

Busted out my version of hoppy wheat. Everything seemed to go easy.

#74 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

I might be brewing again late this afternoon or this evening... a Vienna Lager with the Augustiner yeast. My 19-yo son is home for the summer (who from this point forward will be referred to as "Sudsy McBeerintgon") has put a kink in my beer supply. I have told him that he can drink the beer as long as he's just staying at home and that he give me an idea of what he's drinking. Kegs are emptying faster than ever before. If it's not today then it will be Sunday.

Ken, what are you thoughts on having Señor Sudsy helping on brewday?  (not sure if one of you has broached the idea to the other or not)

#75 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:53 PM

Ken, what are you thoughts on having Señor Sudsy helping on brewday?  (not sure if one of you has broached the idea to the other or not)

It's always possible. He's studying chemical engineering so he might get a jolt out of some the scientific aspects of it.

#76 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

Brew day scheduled for tomorrow: taking the oddball grist I listed for my "Odds & Ends" bitter, changed out the hops and yeast, and making an American amber lager instead.

Mt. Hood for FWH, some Magnum to bitter, and 2 oz of Liberty split into 4 late additions (10 min to flameout).

And my trusty 34/70 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

#77 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

Brew day scheduled for tomorrow: taking the oddball grist I listed for my "Odds & Ends" bitter, changed out the hops and yeast, and making an American amber lager instead.

Mt. Hood for FWH, some Magnum to bitter, and 2 oz of Liberty split into 4 late additions (10 min to flameout).

This is a much better use of that grist and totally something that I would make. Occasionally I'm inspired by a commercial beer and end up making something in the 10-12 SRM range, 5% and with a bunch of late hops that are either the clean American hops (Liberty, Santiam, Crystal, Mt. Hood, Vanguard, US Goldings, Ultra, etc) or Noble hops and then I use a good lager yeast to ferment it. I have no plans to make such a beer but maybe for the fall... :scratch: Enjoy the brewday.

#78 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:40 AM

Thanks Ken.  This one should weigh in ~6% abv, ~40-ish IBU's, and in the 9-10 SRM range.

#79 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:16 PM

If I had to only use 1 yeast from now on it would be W34/70. Ales, lagers, that yeast will do it all. I don't think I've made a bad beer with it yet. Fermented from 50-68F.

#80 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:19 PM

If I had to only use 1 yeast from now on it would be W34/70. Ales, lagers, that yeast will do it all. I don't think I've made a bad beer with it yet. Fermented from 50-68F.

My experience with 34/70 shows it to be a workhorse yeast:

Keep it cool/cold, you have a good lager

Let it warm up (60-68) you have a clean ale

It's my Swiss Army beer yeast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users