#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

I used Hungarian hot wax peppers.  After making this I'd say you could readily cut the sugar level down.  I think I will next time.  I jammed as many peppers as I could into a quart mason jar, very slightly increased the amount of all ingredients below, brought to a boil and then poured it over the peppers into the jar and put the lid on.  I then left it on the counter until it cooled and stuck it in the fridge.

https://www.seriouse...ers-recipe.html

Ingredients

• 1 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 6 to 9 banana peppers, stems removed, sliced thinly into rounds (about 3 cups sliced peppers)

Directions

Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until salt and sugar dissolve. Remove from heat and add sliced peppers. Stir for about 15 seconds as the peppers soften. Peppers should become mostly submerged in the liquid. Allow to cool to room temperature. Drain liquid until peppers are just covered, Store peppers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 13 June 2017 - 12:54 PM.

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

Pickled banana peppers on a sub are the bomb.

My sister makes pickled green tomatoes. Those are good on anything and all by themselves.

Simple enough recipe, I might try it

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

Pickled banana peppers on a sub are the bomb.

My sister makes pickled green tomatoes. Those are good on anything and all by themselves.

Simple enough recipe, I might try it

super easy.  you'll spend the most time washing and cutting up the peppers.  I think I did the active part of this in about 15 mins though.  not too bad.

#4 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23472 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

I'm going to try this recipe tomorrow with some mildly hot peppers from my garden.  Sweet Heat is their name.  Thanks for posting!!

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

I'm going to try this recipe tomorrow with some mildly hot peppers from my garden.  Sweet Heat is their name.  Thanks for posting!!

I'm not sure which peppers would be good for this or not.  the banana/Hungarian hot wax peppers get nice and crunchy.  I could imagine a pepper with too thin of a wall might get kind of chewy.  something to watch out for I guess.  I don't know anything about the peppers you are talking about there so I have no idea how they'll be.  good luck :cheers:

#6 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23472 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

I'm not sure which peppers would be good for this or not.  the banana/Hungarian hot wax peppers get nice and crunchy.  I could imagine a pepper with too thin of a wall might get kind of chewy.  something to watch out for I guess.  I don't know anything about the peppers you are talking about there so I have no idea how they'll be.  good luck :cheers:

Worked good!  I cut back sugar to 1/4 cup, per your recommend.  The sweet heat remained crunchy and the sugar offset a bit of their heat :)  I'll have a ton of the sweet heats and several bananas so this recipe will be good for me...thanks for posting!!

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

Worked good!  I cut back sugar to 1/4 cup, per your recommend.  The sweet heat remained crunchy and the sugar offset a bit of their heat :)  I'll have a ton of the sweet heats and several bananas so this recipe will be good for me...thanks for posting!!

no problem!  another thing I left out is I put a dash of turmeric in there to really make the yellow color of the wax peppers POP!  I doubt it added any flavor.

something else I would consider would be adding a clove of garlic to the mix.  just something to try out.  I probably wouldn't eat the garlic but just use it as a flavoring for the pickling liquid.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 19 July 2017 - 10:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users