#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:37 PM

I have a blonde sour going in a 8gal barrel that I purchased from another brewer that was previously soured. I have sampled it using a very small skinny dropper as I didn't want to disturb the pellicle to much. It tastes really good and I am thinking it could be time to rack it into a keg. But I wanted to check the gravity and pH before I do. I need to draw off enough to do that but didn't know how much I can disturb the pellicle and the cons of that? I know I should have put a nail in the side, next time it's empty. Anyway can I use a wine thief or should I use something smaller like a SS racking cane?

#2 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:22 PM

I use SS screws. Screw one in the head and sample away. 

#3 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

Sure I will do that when I get it empty but how about this time? How concerned should I be about disturbing the pellicle?

Also assuming everything is good and I want to rack it to a keg. I shouldn't have to be concerned about disturbing it then correct? My plan was to keg 5gal leaving around 3gal behind, then fill it back up with fresh wort. At that point do I just stir it all back up pellicle and all?

#4 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

Why can't you go ahead and put the screw in the full barrel now? Its not an issue. If you are worried that it will leak around the screw have some beeswax handy, but you won't need it. 

When I rack I just go ahead and pop my racking cane thru the pellicle. Get what I want then just add the raw wort back to the barrel. No stirring. The pellicle will reform so no worries. Try and keep the barrel as full as you can to reduce headspace. What you are doing is called the Solera method. We have been doing it for almost 5yrs now. 

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

Why can't you go ahead and put the screw in the full barrel now? Its not an issue. If you are worried that it will leak around the screw have some beeswax handy, but you won't need it. 

I agree with this.  It will not leak and if it does it will only be for a bit before it swells.

#6 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

Sorry for not delivering the page 3 info sooner. I can't really get to the head of the barrel. It's down in a chest freezer sitting in a plastic tote. I don't think I could get enough force behind the screw to get it into the barrel, maybe. Just looking for the easier route at this point.

But thanks for the tips. I will get this sorted.

#7 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

Go ahead and use a pipet then. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users