#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

Haven't made a bitter in quite a while, and I have some odd bits of malt and hops laying around, so i'm thinking something along the following lines for my next batch:

~8lbs of Pils (7.5 is Weyermann, 0.5 lbs is Avangard)

0.5 lb wheat malt

0.5 lb C-60

~1oz Carafa

Bittering hops - Considering either Magnum or Pilgrim, to ~30 IBU's

Late additions - 2 oz of EKG that are getting a little long in the tooth, for another 10-ish IBU's, (additions added in the last 0-5 min of the boil)

Beersmith predicts an OG of ~1.048-1.050-ish for 5.5 gal into the primary. 

Not sure on the hop amounts yet, but I'll let Beersmith tell me what amounts I need to hit the above targets.

Whatchoo all think?

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

Should make a tasty wort. :D

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Yeast?

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

Yeast?

Whoops.  That would help a bit.  :blush:

US-05.  (It's the only ale yeast I have in the house).

If time permits, I might order some S-04, although I haven't used it in several years.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:28 PM

I thought this was a bitter. Pilsner, wheat, C60, Carafa? US05? I see no English malt, no british crystal, no british yeast. I'm going to have to bring this to my supervisor. :D Good luck with your... uh... bitter.

I'm kidding. Brew on.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:44 AM

I thought this was a bitter. Pilsner, wheat, C60, Carafa? US05? I see no English malt, no british crystal, no british yeast. I'm going to have to bring this to my supervisor. :D Good luck with your... uh... bitter.

I'm kidding. Brew on.

What Ken said. It will be beer which is the important part :)

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:39 AM

Call it a Cincinnati Pale Ale. :D

I know I've gone down this road before on things like ales v. lagers, festbiers w/1007 and neddles and I have had this conversation regarding English Ales too. One of the reasons I like bitters, EPAs, ESBs, etc. is the character that I get from the English malts, hops and yeast. I know that I'm not going to get that character from ingredients that aren't British. I think Brother Poptop and I were discussing a dark lager like Vienna or something where he mentioned trying to make it with 1007. It would be great but it wouldn't be the same as using a lager yeast because the yeast is bringing a character with it that you're just not getting elsewhere. When I was a new brewer, I swore that I would make a "gold lager" with pilsner malt, noble hops and WLP001 or 1056 and I tried many times but it wasn't until I used lager yeast that I realized that what I was really doing was making a blonde ale. None of this is news, I realize. Just Brew It! :D

#8 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:40 AM

Ok, i'm changing gears on this beer (yeast-wise) to make it a tad more authentic.

The grains I have are the grains I have, but the yeast I can change.

The yeast, however, will be changed from US-05 to Munton's Gold.

Haven't used it in several years, but I recall it being a really nice yeast for Brit styles, and I can get a few packs from Amazon delivered in a couple of days.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

I think it's decent dry ale yeast. I used it when I was a newer brewer and there were probably numerous issues with my processes at that time. The hippie chick that used to work at the LHBS (when asked what kind of dry yeast they had available) would always say MUTTONS! :D One of the reasons that I like these styles is the yeast... 1028, 1099, 1968, 1318, 1469, etc. Such a great bready, crackery and minerally profile. You could probably get a pass on the malts if you used a domestic pale ale malt but the hops and yeast being British seems to put the beer into a whole new ballpark. Cheers.

#10 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

I do a lot of my shopping at Listermann's, and when I was a newbie years ago, I remember buying one of Dan's kits (I think it was his clone/knockoff of Old Peculier), and it came with Munton's Gold yeast.

I made a comment about using a different yeast as Dan was walking by.  He stopped, looked me in the eye, and said I'd be a fool to use a different yeast than MG.  Duly noted.  I recall the beer drank good.

Whenever I get this "bitter" brewed, i intend to show pics and tasting notes of my work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users