#1 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

Anyone tried them? Label peelers has bags for cheap. Thinking of doing one batch of svetly with pale pils blend.

#2 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

I have the pale malt and light Munich on hand from a grain buy-in. I recently did a duval tribute that came very well. I wanna do a blonde ale with the pale malt.very bready and flavorful; looking forward to dona dopplebock with the light Munich.

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:53 PM

I have the pale malt and light Munich on hand from a grain buy-in. I recently did a duval tribute that came very well. I wanna do a blonde ale with the pale malt.very bready and flavorful; looking forward to dona dopplebock with the light Munich.

There is very little review info on the web about it but all there is is favorable. Thanks for the input. I think I'll go ahead with enough to duplicate my Castle blend Svetly and compare the two.

#4 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

There is very little review info on the web about it but all there is is favorable. Thanks for the input. I think I'll go ahead with enough to duplicate my Castle blend Svetly and compare the two.

I think you wont be disappointed; i put the light Munich in apa that gave a nice malty backbone that held up to a very aggressive hopping sechdule. Pull yhr trigger, homes!

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

So many grains out there. Seems like every time I go to a LHBS someone mentions a new malt that's out there. I will keep this information in my brain in case I run into it locally. I just realized that with NB and MW joining forces to become the homebrew supply behemoth and with Rebel going down and Farmhouse occasionally sending me hops that were in poor health, I have not ordered anything online in quite awhile. I also have three local suppliers now and the closest one was the one who suggested the Barke Pils (great malt) and has also been supplying me with outstanding quality noble hops.

I see that it's "The Swaen" and it's from Holland. Pretty cool WEBSITE. I'll keep it in mind.

#6 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

Here's the pils for $37/55LB. Pale Ale $41. $124 to my door for 2 sacks.

httpss://labelpeelers.com/beer-making/grains/swaen/swaen-pilsner-malt-55lb/

httpss://labelpeelers.com/beer-making/grains/malts/swaen-pale-ale-55lb-malt/

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

Here's the pils for $37/55LB. Pale Ale $41. $124 to my door for 2 sacks.

httpss://labelpeelers.com/beer-making/grains/swaen/swaen-pilsner-malt-55lb/

httpss://labelpeelers.com/beer-making/grains/malts/swaen-pale-ale-55lb-malt/

Interesting. $53 to my door for the pilsner. I would have a hard time getting a price that good locally. I might order a sack of the pils for that price and throw some other things on my order that I need... lactic acid, whirfloc, flaked corn, noble hops, Munich 2, etc. Thanks Chils.

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:27 PM

Interesting. $53 to my door for the pilsner. I would have a hard time getting a price that good locally. I might order a sack of the pils for that price and throw some other things on my order that I need... lactic acid, whirfloc, flaked corn, noble hops, Munich 2, etc. Thanks Chils.

Crazy cheap right? Even their calcium chloride and gypsum are cheap. Wish shipping was a little better to me.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

Crazy cheap right? Even their calcium chloride and gypsum are cheap. Wish shipping was a little better to me.

Everything on their site is priced really well. Hops, grains, etc. I just placed an order and got a pound of assorted hops, the Swaen pilsner malt (55 lbs) and everything I mentioned above and it was just a tick over $100 for the whole thing including shipping. Some of their hops are less than $1.50 an ounce. Never ordered from them before... thanks for the tip. Also... really looking forward to trying the Swaen malt after looking at their site.

#10 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

I'm getting good at getting you to buy stuff Ken. :P

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

I'm getting good at getting you to buy stuff Ken. :P

It's true. Please don't give me any tips on cars. :D

#12 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:49 PM

It's true. Please don't give me any tips on cars. :D

1 word: Truecar

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:50 PM

:covreyes:

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

Chils: Not sure if you saw this but I found a thread on ProBrewer about the Swaen Malts:

We have a 10 bbl 3 vessel system and brew into 30bbl fermenters. We have been using Swaen Pils and Pale for over a year and love it. The flavor is comparable to any other Continental Pils. We Used Avangard and Best and many others but have switched entirely to Swaen Base malt. We also like several of their specialty malts but are just starting to experiment with most of them. I don't think you will be disappointed with Swaen Malts.

Thread is HERE. I found out this morning that my shipment from Label Peelers is arriving on Wednesday. They're very quick over there. I might have to make them my NEW online supplier.

#15 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:32 PM

Chils: Not sure if you saw this but I found a thread on ProBrewer about the Swaen Malts:

Thread is HERE. I found out this morning that my shipment from Label Peelers is arriving on Wednesday. They're very quick over there. I might have to make them my NEW online supplier.

I did read that thread when searching for reviews on Swaen. Might be good stuff.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

By the way... it's The Swaenâ„¢. Not just Swaen. :D

I think I'll use it first in a helles where the malt would shine through. I have a Dunkel, a Festbier and a Helles on the schedule and I have some other pilsner malts (Rahr, Dingemans) and I'll use those for the other beers. The Helles would showcase the Swaen malt well, I think. Cheers.

#17 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

By the way... it's The Swaenâ„¢. Not just Swaen. :D

I think I'll use it first in a helles where the malt would shine through. I have a Dunkel, a Festbier and a Helles on the schedule and I have some other pilsner malts (Rahr, Dingemans) and I'll use those for the other beers. The Helles would showcase the Swaen malt well, I think. Cheers.

Man those "Teh Swaen" folks are letter wasters. They must think letters are unlimited or something. I think Imma call them swan from now on-just to show them how letter-wasteful they are. :troll:

I may order a few pounds and try it out. I'm tempted to do the exact recipe I have on tap right now to compare Swaen and Castle malts. Helles is tempting tho and I do have that MJ Bavarian yeast here. Hmmm...

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:15 PM

I know you've been burned by questionable malt before and I think I have been too. It's very true that there is not much information online about the malt in the US but my guess is that their sales team started a push in the US in the last couple of years that hit commercial breweries first and went to homebrewers after that. The information that I see is all positive which is great.

Yeah, and why are they so wasteful on the letters? Do you think it's pronounced SWAIN? SWINE? SWAN? :D

#19 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:32 PM

Considering the logo is a swan, I'm gonna say swan. They have to spell it all fancy-pants like, but hell, everyone hates the Dutch.

theswaenlogo.jpg

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

With this pilsner malt arriving today, I'm trying to think of ways to showcase it in a beer by making it the vast majority of the grist but without the beer being boring. With this "American Premium" that I make, the grist is about 60% pils, 20% Munich 1, 10% corn and the rest made up with carahell, carafoam or carapils. There are bittering hops (maybe 20 IBUs) and then an ounce of Hallertau or Tettnanger with 5 minutes left. I could make it the same way but I'm not sure how much "showcasing" would be going on with only 60% or so being pils. Would anyone care to whip up a recipe that wouldn't be boring but would still have the vast majority be pilsner? I suppose my helles (about 82% pilsner malt) is a decent-enough test for this malt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users