Photo
- - - - -

do some beers take longer to force carbonate?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

This seems to happen to me sometimes.  I use a method that involves charging the headspace of the keg to 30 PSI 1-2 times per day until I hit the carb level I want.  sometimes it seems like the beer doesn't want to absorb the CO2 though.  I don't get why.  I'll go to pour a beer and there will be quite a bit of pressure despite it having been a while since I last charged up the head space but then the beer is still at a low carbonation level.  are there factors at play here other than pressure and temperature of the beer that I don't know about?

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

Yes, the amount of CO2 in the beer when you began your force carb process.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

Yes, the amount of CO2 in the beer when you began your force carb process.

hmmm - this was a fairly standard beer for me.  2 weeks from brew day to keg.  the last 4 days were at cold to drop out the yeast.  now it's at about 43F in the keg.

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

That happens to me sometimes, with no rhyme or reason. 

I'll have most beers carb up just fine by putting them on hi-pressure CO2 for 2-3 days, then vent keg, drop CO2 to serving pressure, and drink.

Some, though, i've left on 30 psi for 4-5 days, and they're still flat-tasting.  A quick shake of the keg (with hi-pressue CO2 attached), then overnight to settle, works to move things along.

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

I would guess a smaller headspace would slow carbing the way you do it.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:03 PM

I would guess a smaller headspace would slow carbing the way you do it.

it would except then I would expect the serving pressure 12 hours later to be much lower if that was the problem but the beer is still flying out at a pretty good clip when I pour some.

#7 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:04 PM

That happens to me sometimes, with no rhyme or reason.

I'll have most beers carb up just fine by putting them on hi-pressure CO2 for 2-3 days, then vent keg, drop CO2 to serving pressure, and drink.

Some, though, i've left on 30 psi for 4-5 days, and they're still flat-tasting. A quick shake of the keg (with hi-pressue CO2 attached), then overnight to settle, works to move things along.

I could have typed out this exact thing about my experiences.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:53 PM

it would except then I would expect the serving pressure 12 hours later to be much lower if that was the problem but the beer is still flying out at a pretty good clip when I pour some.

I'm not following that.  Time, temperature and pressure will determine when your beer is carbed.  What you have dialed in for serving pressure is a different story.

And I'm the guy that is still having shitty pours for the last couple months - starting to get better..............

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

I've accidentally filled a keg too high and there was no headspace below the diptube. I have also had kegs not carb although it has been very, very few times. Some people have a theory that a layer of oils would develop on the surface of the beer (I'll assume hop oils) and make it so that the beer will not absorb the CO2. A shake or swirl of the keg will fix it. That's all I've got.

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

Some do take longer for some reason and I have no good answer why. The amber I just kegged I rolled to force carb and it was perfect on day 2. It was interesting to hear the regulator ease in the gas while I rolled the corny back and forth.

#11 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:49 AM

My best results have always been to do a quick carb method with every keg just to get the majority of absorption. Then I let settle for a day, purge off any excess pressure, hook up to serving pressure, and I usually have perfect carb within 24 hours.

The headspace must be a contributing factor, and if that varies, so will the time. By doing the quick carb head start, that seems to even the playing field

#12 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111778 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

I'm lazy, but patient. I hook my keg up at serving pressure (around 10-12psi) then just forget about it for 3 weeks. Perfect every time.

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

I'm lazy, but patient. I hook my keg up at serving pressure (around 10-12psi) then just forget about it for 3 weeks. Perfect every time.

unless I'm in need of quickness, I do the same

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users