#1 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9139 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:26 PM

At my HBC meeting tonight, we had a trivia contest. The subject was hops. Myself and three others found ourselves in a tie to win the prize of 1 pound of El Dorado hops. I'm a fan, and recently did an awesome beer with them, so I freakin' wanted those hops.

The tiebreaker question was "What was the first India Pale Ale commercially brewed in the United States?"

I'm certain my answer was correct, but didn't raise a stink. I had donated the hops to begin with and they went to a newbie brewer, so mission accomplished. But I'd like to hear you guys' answers just to make myself feel better. :D

#2 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:59 AM

Anchor Liberty?  Er, no, Ballentine!

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:06 AM

Ballantine.  Mitch Steele discusses it at length in IPA.

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68746 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

first I can think of is Bert Grant's IPA from Yakima circa mid 1980s

Bert was quite a hustler

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

Anchor Liberty? Er, no, Ballentine!

This is what I thought.

#6 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9139 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:47 PM

My answer was Ballentine. The winning answer was Anchor Liberty. 

I suspect the confusion was the fact that Liberty is (most likely) the earliest to be in constant production. But, I don't think there's any argument that Ballentine was the first.

#7 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:53 PM

I suspect the confusion was the fact that Liberty is (most likely) the earliest to be in constant production. But, I don't think there's any argument that Ballentine was the first.

AM, if you haven't read MItch Steele's IPA yet, it's a good read.  I found it fascinating and is my regular go-to reference for all things IPA (my fav beer to brew and drink).

IIRC (and I may not be), the Ballantine IPA was in at least somewhat regular production since the late 1800's (1870's?). 

Anchor's Liberty Ale didn't come along until the 1970's, so Peter Ballantine's IPA had a good 100-yr headstart.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68746 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

Liberty may b the first "new wave" IPA but Ballentine was making IPA when Fritz Maytag wasn't even a twinkle in his grandfather' eye

#9 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9139 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:01 PM

AM, if you haven't read MItch Steele's IPA yet, it's a good read.  I found it fascinating and is my regular go-to reference for all things IPA (my fav beer to brew and drink).

IIRC (and I may not be), the Ballantine IPA was in at least somewhat regular production since the late 1800's (1870's?). 

Anchor's Liberty Ale didn't come along until the 1970's, so Peter Ballantine's IPA had a good 100-yr headstart.

That's my take, too. Haven't really studied styles in many years, but the fact that Ballentine was the very first has always been etched in my mind.

And thanks for the book recommendation. The last one I recall reading was "Man Walks Into a Pub" by Pete Brown. Very good, entertaining read on the overall history of beer and brewing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users