Photo
- - - - -

Guys, help me pick out some [new to me] hops...

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:50 PM

One day this week I'm heading to the LHBS to pick up some things and hops will be among them. I'm going to have a string of ales made with S-04 coming up so English hops are on the list but I'm looking for something new. You guys mention Apollo, Azacca, El Dorado, Chils mentioned Premiant, etc. Please suggest some bittering hops and flavor/aroma hops and even a pairing that you have used that you like. I'm open to most hop characters but I tend to stay in the middle... herbal, spicy, citrus, woody... that's all fine. I can deal with passion fruit, melon, berry, etc. but I don't want to get too far into hippie armpit, onion, garlic, cat piss (is that enough now? :D), etc. We were talking about Stone Delicious IPA with El Dorado and Lemon Drop... that I could see and I would probably just make a "pale ale" with it. Not sure what the LHBS will have but fire at will & thanks in advance.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16491 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

Equanot

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:54 PM

The old English classics are hard to beat: EKG, Challenger, Northdown, Target, Northern Brewer.  That is, if you're looking to make mostly/all English type ales with S-04.

Otherwise, the hops you mention above would be good to experiment with in a beer with S-04.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16491 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

And fuggles

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:02 PM

I have northern brewer, pilgrim and EKG for some English-style ales. I do not care for Fuggle. For the other beers, they will be fermented with S-04 but I don't necessarily need them to be English. They can be anything from anywhere. I'm just getting bored with my ale hops... Mt. Hood, Crystal, Golding, Santiam, Nugget, etc. I'm going to pair Nelson and Simcoe in one of these beers but I'm still looking for some hops I haven't used yet.

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

I've had good success with Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus, Citra, Cascade, and Liberty in beers fermented with English yeasts, and I think S-04 would play nicely with any/all of these.

Hops that play up the citrus, along with some spice and a bit of pine, but none of the harshness like I get from hops like Chinook.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

I've had good success with Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus, Citra, Cascade, and Liberty in beers fermented with English yeasts, and I think S-04 would play nicely with any/all of these.

Hops that play up the citrus, along with some spice and a bit of pine, but none of the harshness like I get from hops like Chinook.

Most of those hops I use on a semi-regular basis. I have Columbus in the house as well as Cascade, Liberty and Amarillo. I just made an Amarillo-Citra Pale Ale on Friday. Chinook is something I have stayed away from for awhile. One issue I have with "new" hops is that I sometimes end up making a beer that I don't like either because I misused the hops or I just didn't care for the hop's character. I'm constantly getting emails from places like Farmhouse Supply listing all of the new hops that are available and there will be 8 varieties listed that I have never heard of! :D

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16491 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

Use chinook late like zero or whirlpool or dry. Its very nice that way.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:01 PM

I'll consider that. I used it once many, many, many, many years ago (it was a really long time ago :D) and I thought they were super-coarse. Not smooth bittering... but I didn't try them late.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16491 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

I'll consider that. I used it once many, many, many, many years ago (it was a really long time ago :D) and I thought they were super-coarse. Not smooth bittering... but I didn't try them late.

Yes, when boiled they give a coarse classic AIPA bitterness that you don't find very often anymore. Late/dry they are bold citrus/grapefruit.

Edited by neddles, 18 July 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:42 AM

Yes, when boiled they give a coarse classic AIPA bitterness that you don't find very often anymore. Late/dry they are bold citrus/grapefruit.

don't forget the pine!

#12 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:23 AM

If you want to taste how good Chinook is, try some Penrose Taproom IPA. It's all chinook and one of my favorites.

I think Lemon drop, Azzaca or Eldorodo are good choices. I heard Cashmere is a decent sub for Mosaic, and is publicly available to grow so I was going to give that a try and see if I can add it to the garden. 

Oddly enough, Nugget. I had Toppling Goliath's Golden Nugget and had no idea you can get those flavors from nugget!

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16491 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:21 AM

If you want to taste how good Chinook is, try some Penrose Taproom IPA. It's all chinook and one of my favorites.

I think that beer is made with midwest grown Chinook which has a reputation for being unusually fruity and delicious.

Oddly enough, Nugget. I had Toppling Goliath's Golden Nugget and had no idea you can get those flavors from nugget!

I had that for the first time recently too and it was very fresh. Really nice beer overall and hop character in that one.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:21 AM

I've used a little nugget towards the end of the boil but it was with other hops so I'm not sure what I got out of it.  it is a nice clean bittering hop though.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:33 AM

I was making a beer with Nugget and it was just a bittering addition in that batch. As the brewday was going I realized that the yeast I was going to use (coming out of another primary) was bad so I had to switch midstream and pick another yeast. S-04 was all I had but I didn't like the idea of that lower-attenuating yeast and just one hop addition so I added another ounce or so of Nugget with 5 minutes left. I could have chosen any other hop I had but I had a pound of Nugget so in it went. It was delicious and later I used more late Nugget in an amber ale... great. I have not tried Golden Nugget but it sounds good. Thanks for the direction gang. I'm going to the LHBS one day this week and I'll be looking in the hop freezer for something a little more "off-the-map".

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:46 AM

So much this!

#17 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10543 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:15 AM

Get some El Dorado for sure.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

So here's a good example... I just got an email from Yakima Valley with some new hops for sale: Ella, Super Pride, Topaz, Vic Secret, Helga and Enigma. The Ella sounds interesting... sister of Stella. Ella and Galaxy share the same mother but Ella's father is a variety from Spalt, Germany. Sounds like a freaking soap opera :D but the hop actually sounds interesting. I may have to just start ordering hops because I'm pretty sure my local is NOT going to have the majority of these hops.

A quick browse through their site shows me hops that I have either never heard of or heard of just in passing with no real idea about it: 007 Golden Hop, Buzz Bullets, Caliente, Calypso, Cashmere, Denali, Apple Crisp, BRU 1, three or four HBC XXX names, Medusa, Pekko and then a bunch with names that start with "exp" including Genghis, Green Machine, Lemon Zest, tone Fruit and Tangerine.

And those are just the domestics. :D

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:41 AM

I can't keep all this straight.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:06 AM

I can't keep all this straight.

Me neither. I feel like I want to try new hops but I have also picked up new hops and then didn't care for them so now I have 5 gallons of beer made with New Zealand Bride Of Frankenstein hops that I don't like. :P I do like citrusy hops like Amarillo so I might place an order for some of these hops that come in 2 oz bags and concentrate on things for bittering (like Azacca, El Dorado, etc) and then some of the finishing hops like Lemon Drop or others citrusy ones assuming that a pale ale made with these hops would be in my wheelhouse. $2-$3 for 2oz packs of these hops could work just as an experiment. Start with El Dorado and then add Lemon Drop and Ella at the end of the boil. :scratch:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users