Photo
- - - - -

Guys, help me pick out some [new to me] hops...

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:13 AM

I think the only way I want to try new hops is if I have a commercial beer I like that is made with them.  or maybe someone's homebrew but not many people live too close by.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:27 AM

I like the fact that YVH packages pellets in 2oz packs so I picked up some new stuff this morning... Apollo, Azacca, El Dorado, Lemon Drop, Ella and Loral. Some of these are dual-purpose so I will play with them a little bit and these will mostly be put into pale ales fermented with S-04. Some of the S-04 beers will be traditional English bitters and such so I also picked up Horizon, Styrian Goldings, EKG and US Goldings. If anyone has a combination they like, let me know. I have a few ideas but otherwise I'll just be spitballing and trying to use hops that seem like they'll work well together. Cheers.

#23 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16491 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:39 AM

Spitballing on what I know bout your palate... you will like the flavor/aroma of Azacca but not Apollo. Apollo will get you the bitterness you want with very little hop matter in the boil but it has a considerable dankness when used for flavor.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:46 AM

Spitballing on what I know bout your palate... you will like the flavor/aroma of Azacca but not Apollo. Apollo will get you the bitterness you want with very little hop matter in the boil but it has a considerable dankness when used for flavor.

Okay, that's helpful. Apollo for bittering only then. I don't necessarily mind "dankness" in certain amounts. Since my "fruity" hops additions are mostly Amarillo & Citra, I would like to find something a little different than that. It sounds like the Stone Delicious IPA is El Dorado and Lemon Drop and my plan is to use those together in more of an APA and it sounds like the El Dorado can be used for bittering and also later in the boil in conjunction with the Lemon Drop. I would like to use the Ella with El Dorado as well because it sounds like a good combination. Keep the ideas coming if any of these hops spark something. Thanks & cheers.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

Also, I realize that some might say that getting 2oz of this or that hop will not be enough to do much with. But that unfortunate Belma incident has soured me on getting too much of a hop that I'm not familiar with. With some of these hops being dual-purpose, I plan to use some of the bittering hops in conjunction with the finishing hops or else using two different finishing hops together to get a nicer hop punch.

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16491 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

Also, I realize that some might say that getting 2oz of this or that hop will not be enough to do much with. But that unfortunate Belma incident has soured me on getting too much of a hop that I'm not familiar with. With some of these hops being dual-purpose, I plan to use some of the bittering hops in conjunction with the finishing hops or else using two different finishing hops together to get a nicer hop punch.

If you do some perusing of the web you will see the your experience with belma was nearly universal. Not so much with the other hops you ordered.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

If you do some perusing of the web you will see the your experience with belma was nearly universal. Not so much with the other hops you ordered.

When Belma first came out there were breathless reviews about how great it was. Some people were saying that it had "Intense strawberry" which I didn't get at all. I suppose if I dropped a pound of hops into the whirlpool I might get that. Later I started seeing the reviews plateau a little bit. The point is that I don't want to blindly buy hops without a little better information even if they were $5 a pound (which I think the Belma was). I simply don't want them if I don't like them and they're taking up space in my hop freezer. I'm more excited about these others. Cheers.

#28 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10543 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

I think I would save the El Dorado for late and not use it for bittering since working with a limited supply. I think a APA with Apollo for bittering and El Dorado and Lemon Drop at the end would be great.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

I think I would save the El Dorado for late and not use it for bittering since working with a limited supply. I think a APA with Apollo for bittering and El Dorado and Lemon Drop at the end would be great.

Thanks Matt. I read that El Dorado was a true dual-purpose and I wondered if they should be saved for late additions. I will have plenty of bittering hops so using the El Dorado late is no problem. Apollo for bittering and El Dorado + Lemon Drop late sounds lovely. Cheers.

What about the Azacca? I think I head that it was dual-purpose as well. Thoughts?

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:23 PM

I found azacca to be meh alone and needs another hop with it. Citra and Simcoe are two I used.

#31 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10543 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

I found azacca to be meh alone and needs another hop with it. Citra and Simcoe are two I used.

Agreed. Use it late as well.

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

Agreed. Use it late as well.

Yes, agree with that as well.

#33 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16491 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:19 PM

This.

This. Well, kind of. It has a pleasant character to it. I just found it wasn't very punchy/strong. So, as they said, add something else to it if you are looking for more oomph.

Use it late as well.

This.

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:22 PM

This is great stuff guys. Apollo to bitter, Azacca late and with something else, El Dorado late.

Who's got anything on Loral? I thought someone in here used it.

#35 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16491 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:22 PM

Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen you use Centennial Ken. Don't like it? Or, never used it?

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen you use Centennial Ken. Don't like it? Or, never used it?

I generally don't order it but I do happen to have some. Columbus too. Do you see an opportunity to use Centennial in conjunction with some of these others?

#37 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16491 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:26 PM

I'm not sure I have ever had a bad pairing with Centennial so it's really up to your imagination. Maybe pair it with the Azacca and some Cascade.

Edited by neddles, 22 July 2017 - 04:26 PM.

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:31 PM

Who's got anything on Loral? I thought someone in here used it.

I have. I did a loral/equinox(2:1) IPL. The loral comes through and I think it works well but imo, is suited best for a lager or saison.

I will add I love Apollo for bittering, great hop.

#39 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16491 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:38 PM

I will add I love Apollo for bittering, great hop.

concur

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53363 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

* jots down notes *

Thanks gang.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users