25 replies to this topic

#1 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:29 AM

So it's honestly been at least 6 years since I've last brewed and I have been slowly rolling out my stuff to get back into it. Yesterday, I put on some tunes, grabbed some beers and fired up the burner to make a simple hefeweizen. 

Now, I know that I was missing some equipment, but I just wanted to brew, so I did. I think I hit everything well, but the one core thing I forgot was a damn wort chiller.

Finished up with 5.5 gallons of gold - and realized that I had no way to chill it.

It was like 10pm at this point so I decided not to try and let it cool down in the garage overnight. Pitched the yeast this morning. 

What an idiot.

I had some yeast DOA when I pitched on some wine recently. Good sterilization practices saved the batch in time for me to run to the LHBS and get what I needed, but it did scare me. Loosing $20 worth of a training brew day isn't bothering me that much, but that wine was like a $160 kit.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:37 AM

Not the worst thing in the world.  Some actually do a no chill but they do change the hops.  It may end up a bit more bitter than anticipated but should be fine.

#3 Glacies

Glacies

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

Not the worst thing in the world.  Some actually do a no chill but they do change the hops.  It may end up a bit more bitter than anticipated but should be fine.

Only did 1oz of tettnang so not expecting much. Might be a learning exercise!

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:55 AM

I think you will be fine, nothing to worry about.  For my lagers these days I get it down as much as I can and just let it go in teh fridge till the next day when it is at 50 and pitch.  As long as sanitation was good, and if the wort was boiling it should be, you will be good.

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

It'll probably be just fine.  Snag a wort chiller ASAP and you'll be good to go.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

In the winter I can chill nicely with just an immersion chiller but when the ground water is warmer, I place my kettle in a deep sink with water and ice (or frozen water bottles) for 30 minutes or so and get it down a little further. I've also used a snow bank. :P Good luck Glacies... hopefully it comes out nicely.

#7 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

Glacies, to Ken's point, here's what I do (since you didn't ask :)):

I use a 25' copper wort chiller, hooked up to my basement utility sink, and once the wort gets down to ~100-110°, I then connect the wort chiller to a 1800 gal/hr sump pump, immersed in a bucket with 2-3 gal of very cold water.

(I chill said water the night before in my lager fridge, and add some ice to the water during chilling).

I then run the sump pump for another 15-20 min, until the wort is well-chilled.

I use the sump pump setup more in summer than winter, since the groundwater here in Cincy gets damn cold in winter.

I also use an old Ice Cube cooler as a swamp cooler (i ferment in Ale Pails), and I use the water from chilling as my swamp cooler water (waste not, want not), and swap out frozen water bottles during primary to maintain temps.

#8 Glacies

Glacies

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:43 AM

I did have one - about a 20ft copper one I made back in 2005. It had seen better days, but all the same, absolutely could not find it. 

My wife reported that as of 11am it was steadily bubbling along. Looks like we're good. 

#9 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111763 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

I did my last batch as no-chill. I think I'm hooked.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

I did my last batch as no-chill. I think I'm hooked.

I have thought about it but just have not gone there yet.  At the hoping rates I do a bad batch is a lot of money.  Plus my setup makes chilling a breeze, just pump through the CFC and into the fermenter and done.  I can see the attraction though.

#11 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111763 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

Yeah I'm using an immersion chiller in the garage. The chill is pretty much my least favorite part of the brew day.

#12 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

Yeah I'm using an immersion chiller in the garage. The chill is pretty much my least favorite part of the brew day.

For me, it's a toss-up b/w chilling and dumping the spent grains/cleaning out the mash tun.

The sump pump setup i posted above helps a lot in the chilling dept., but it ain't a lotta fun.

#13 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

You will be fine... it's not like they had refrigeration and other chilling methods back at the dawn of beer brewing.  

It will be good!

I have thought about it but just have not gone there yet.  At the hoping rates I do a bad batch is a lot of money.  Plus my setup makes chilling a breeze, just pump through the CFC and into the fermenter and done.  I can see the attraction though.

A pump and CFC is where it is at!

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

A pump and CFC is where it is at!

A pump and hard piped CFC is where it is at :)

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:23 AM

Me too until I got a Jaded Hydra and whirlpool arm.  Not it only takes 6 min.

A pump and hard piped CFC is where it is at :)

I use a CFC with the Grainfather and the Hydra is faster.  Requires a lot less maintenance, too,

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

Me too until I got a Jaded Hydra and whirlpool arm.  Not it only takes 6 min.

I use a CFC with the Grainfather and the Hydra is faster.  Requires a lot less maintenance, too,

My CFC is all copper and the only maintenance I do is wash it out while I am cleaning the RIMS and the rest of the system.  Immersion chillers do not work well in my system with how my electric element is positioned.  Too much ends up sticking out. 

#17 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111763 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

Me too until I got a Jaded Hydra and whirlpool arm. Not it only takes 6 min.

I use a CFC with the Grainfather and the Hydra is faster. Requires a lot less maintenance, too,

It's not the time, for me, it's hassling with the garden hose and water runoff etc.

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:54 AM

It's not the time, for me, it's hassling with the garden hose and water runoff etc.

I've always wondered this...

With the water reclamation issues out in Colorado, how do you handle the chilling without feeling guilty about it?  I know I'm amazed at how much water is used to brew a batch of beer and have at times felt "jeez, this seems wasteful".

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:45 AM

I've always wondered this...

With the water reclamation issues out in Colorado, how do you handle the chilling without feeling guilty about it? I know I'm amazed at how much water is used to brew a batch of beer and have at times felt "jeez, this seems wasteful".

Not in CO but I save my water in the HLT for the next batch.

#20 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

Not in CO but I save my water in the HLT for the next batch.

How long do you save it for???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users