12 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

They say the NEIPA style is prone to it and I have not had an issue till today.  The right is June 9th and the left is today.  For the record I forgot to add brewtan to this batch. This was my cryohop experiment ... oh well, down the drain it goes.

20429752_10156655671849657_3241116097423

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

School me on why this particular style is prone.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

Wow. Never seen a beer change color that dramatically.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:15 PM

Hard to tell from pics but is the left beer more clear? I find that really cloudy beers look really light since the light is immediately scattered and doesn't get to pass through much beer.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

School me on why this particular style is prone.

I am not 100% sure but you can see it is talked about at the end of this blog post with similiar results https://www.themadfe...tra-mosaic.html .  I have seen on many boards where NEIPA is popular people having these results.  I have not had it yet till this one, that I forgot to use brewtan.

Hard to tell from pics but is the left beer more clear? I find that really cloudy beers look really light since the light is immediately scattered and doesn't get to pass through much beer.

Clarity is about the same.  The color on the other hand is dramatically different.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:29 PM

Vibes. I haven't had this happen to me yet. Not on Brewtan or non-brewtan batches. Leaky keg? How do you think it happened??

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:31 PM

Btw... how does the beer taste? Did the flavor suffer from the oxidation too or just the color?

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

Vibes. I haven't had this happen to me yet. Not on Brewtan or non-brewtan batches. Leaky keg? How do you think it happened??

Must have been during a transfer.  I have to look back at my notes.  Keg was not leaking.

Btw... how does the beer taste? Did the flavor suffer from the oxidation too or just the color?

It is getting dumped.  Does not taste like it should.  BLAH!

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

Must have been during a transfer.  I have to look back at my notes.  Keg was not leaking.

It is getting dumped.  Does not taste like it should.  BLAH!

Wow, never seen that. Of course I don't brew that style. Vibes, hoists and thoughts on your pour-out.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

Wow, never seen that. Of course I don't brew that style. Vibes, hoists and thoughts on your pour-out.

Thanks, I put on a keg of festbier from last July. Take a look at the picture thread.. Beautiful and still tasty.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:13 PM

Thanks, I put on a keg of festbier from last July. Take a look at the picture thread.. Beautiful and still tasty.

I saw that. I like that recipe for the 50/50 pils & Munich 2. It's great that it's still drinking good after all that time.

On the topic of the oxidation, I used to rack beer from primary into secondaries (that were not purged) and after they sat in secondary they would get transferred to a keg (also not purged) and I never had an obvious oxidation issue. Eventually I started to go from primary to purged kegs (still an open transfer) and thought I might experience an improvement in beer quality but I really didn't notice anything. The beers have been great but I didn't really notice anything as a result of trying to lower or eliminate oxidation pickup.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

I saw that. I like that recipe for the 50/50 pils & Munich 2. It's great that it's still drinking good after all that time.

On the topic of the oxidation, I used to rack beer from primary into secondaries (that were not purged) and after they sat in secondary they would get transferred to a keg (also not purged) and I never had an obvious oxidation issue. Eventually I started to go from primary to purged kegs (still an open transfer) and thought I might experience an improvement in beer quality but I really didn't notice anything. The beers have been great but I didn't really notice anything as a result of trying to lower or eliminate oxidation pickup.

In all my brewing I have not had one go like this. I have been going over the brewday and transfers trying to figure out what went wrong. All my transfers are sealed to purged vessels done with CO2, at a loss.

#13 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:56 PM

Maybe you didn't notice because the beers already had a degree of oxidation from the brewing process on the hot side already?      Since switching to low-oxygen brewing procedures I'm much more aware of flavor degradation in my beers.   Which is good and bad.   The fresh flavors are fabulous, but it's depressing how they fade with time.  Oxygen ingress is an insidious, unstoppable process.  Ask any professional brewer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users